Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Sniff... When I create this topic, almost no replies.
    Oh, well, enough whining. No, wait, I'm about to talk about X3... there'll be whining...

I thought it lacked development. It didn't annoy me that Juggernaut was a mutant, (apparently he is in Ultimate, and this one is that one) as much as the scene where Charlie rolls right past him... and doesn't recognise his own half-brother.

They needed to put the cure and Dark Phoenix in two movies; this way, we didn't get any real development, any real plotting, just a bunch of characters being introduced then dropping off.

Pyro and Dark Phoenix in one movie, and not a single shaped flame in sight. What a waste!

My opinions on X3:

All the heavy dramatic scenes were horribly acted. In particular, Storm and Wolverine were both wooden and flat.

Phoenix looked extremely cool, but where was the shroud of fire? That's like Superman without a cape!

Some really good moments: when Kitty outwits Juggernaut, when Wolverine and Beast outwit Magneto, and the Xavier vs Phoenix fight was good (though the surrounding fights were really lame). Beast looked great.

The Xavier twist at the end was unexpected, but completely logical, since they cleverly set it up early.

The Rogue subplot was under-explored. Angel was a useless subplot. All of the newly intro'd evil mutants were boring. Wolverine's fight in the woods was a waste of screen-time. I remember seeing Colossus, but did he even get a speaking line?

Speaking of the woods: a bunch of evil mutants camping in the woods with tents from Canadian Tire? Was the movie production on some kind of bizarre budget restraint? (And the nomination for least expensive movie set goes to....)

The Magneto moment with the Golden Gate bridge looked cool, but my common sense was screaming "why not just rent a bunch of helicopters?"

The end battle was kinda dull. Endless soldier "goons" and evil mutant "goons." It would have been better to have a smaller battle between the main good and evil characters.

Overall, there were simply too many characters in the movie, so none of them got the necessary screen-time to be properly developed.

Recommendation: If you liked the first two X-Men movies, go see this one, just to wrap up the series for you. But if you aren't a fan, skip it. By way of comparison: Hulk, DareDevil, and Fantastic Four were all better movies.

By the way, there was a trailer for the upcoming Ghost Rider movie. All I can say is: why can Marvel make a movie for a lame comic book like Ghost Rider, but can't manage to make a comic book about Alpha Flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsquatch
    Recommendation: If you liked the first two X-Men movies, go see this one, just to wrap up the series for you. But if you aren't a fan, skip it. By way of comparison: Hulk, DareDevil, and Fantastic Four were all better movies.
    Hulk? Maybe. But not Daredvil or FF. Those were unforgiveable sins.

By the way, there was a trailer for the upcoming Ghost Rider movie. All I can say is: why can Marvel make a movie for a lame comic book like Ghost Rider, but can't manage to make a comic book about Alpha Flight?
    Welcome to the U.S. film industry, where Canada is frequently treated as a joke, a backwards nation of oddly-accented woodsmen.

Don't forget, no matter what the directors, writers, or studios tell you, these movies aren't of, by and for comic book fans. They're for the lowest common denominator.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    Welcome to the U.S. film industry, where Canada is frequently treated as a joke, a backwards nation of oddly-accented woodsmen.
    I don't expect the film industry to make an AF movie when Marvel doesn't even make an AF comic book. So I don't think anybody but Marvel is at fault here.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Phoenix looked extremely cool, but where was the shroud of fire? That's like Superman without a cape!
    Nope, bad comparison. I wouldn't miss Superman's cape. Smallville, for example. (Hey, I just noticed: Two double ls in Smallville; very apt for him!)
    I waited, what, twenty years? to see the Phoenix effect on screen, with O Fortuna playing in the background. (In my head, it's always O Fortuna). By the end of the movie, I felt ripped that I missed it.
    Or would've, if I wasn't already sad about the lack of character.

the Xavier vs Phoenix fight was good (though the surrounding fights were really lame). Beast looked great.
    I thought Phoenix, there, looked too skanky. I thought they were going for Galadriel La Noyée; but instead of looking at her face, they should've listened to her words: "Instead of a dark lord you will have a Black Queen! I will be beautiful and terrible--all shall love me and despair!"

Beast gave me mixed results. There were times he looked like a muppet.
    Hmm... Blue fur? I'd've based him on a blue heeler.

Speaking of the woods: a bunch of evil mutants camping in the woods with tents from Canadian Tire?
    Welcome to the U.S. film industry, where Canada is frequently used as a filming location, because it's cheaper!

The Magneto moment with the Golden Gate bridge looked cool, but my common sense was screaming "why not just rent a bunch of helicopters?"
    (Or steal them.) You'd let common sense stand in the way of a cool scene? What's wrong wichu? Out of Hollywood! Now!

Overall, there were simply too many characters in the movie, so none of them got the necessary screen-time to be properly developed.[/quote]

Mee-ow!

*sigh* Why, indeed? It's not like not having a comic has stopped them before. (Ghost Rider, Blade)
    Then again, I'd have wanted to see the AF movie before this. They're at the 'let's just pump them out because they're popular, forget about quality' stage.

- Le Messor
    "Wadd'ya doin?"
    "Testing fuses... that one WAS good, that one WAS good... Could you tell me if my turn signal is working?"
    "Sure"
    "working, not working, working, not working..."