Thread: Northstar Crush on Walter

Default Northstar Crush on Walter

Apparently so according to John Byrne over at his website:
    http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f...065&PN=1&TPN=2

Incidentally, despite what others -- including later writers of the characters -- may have read into my text, I had no intention that Jean-Marie and Jean-Paul have an incestuous relationship. He was Gay, and the girls offered no allure. What I was trying to play -- subtly, because of Shooter and the Code -- was his attraction to Walt, and his jealousy of Aurora for doing what Northstar could not.

I must say that, at first, I thought Jean-Paul disliked Walter because Jean-Paul had just reunited with his sister, and was loath to have anyone else interfere with their relationship. Then, also, he could have been overprotective of her due to her mental illness.

Then, in Alpha Flight v.1, #29, (I think), there was a scene where Jean-Paul wept over Walter, and Aurora says, "Jean-Paul! You loved him too?" It really made me re-think Jean-Paul's attitude towards Walter. And it lends credence to what John Byrne was saying about Jean-Paul's "crush" on Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    I must say that, at first, I thought Jean-Paul disliked Walter because Jean-Paul had just reunited with his sister, and was loath to have anyone else interfere with their relationship. Then, also, he could have been overprotective of her due to her mental illness.

Then, in Alpha Flight v.1, #29, (I think), there was a scene where Jean-Paul wept over Walter, and Aurora says, "Jean-Paul! You loved him too?" It really made me re-think Jean-Paul's attitude towards Walter. And it lends credence to what John Byrne was saying about Jean-Paul's "crush" on Walter.
    If Byrne was trying to be subtle, he was too subtle. I don't see a single panel or line of his that establishes this point.

Besides, #29 is Mantlo's first AF issue, so those lines aren't from Byrne. And the dialogue is less heavy:
    Aurora: He is gone ... and I loved him so!
    Northstar: Yes, my sister! Yes, I know.
    Aurora: Jean-Paul, you ... you are ... crying! [next panel] You too!

As for other writers implying an "incestuous relationship" angle - I haven't seen that either, but I haven't read every issue yet. But it would be The Worst Concept Ever©.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I was one of those people who read into the original run the possibility of Northstar having an incestuous infatuation with his sister, though I found and find Northstar as a moody, self-absorbed, arrogant s.o.b. who still manages to fight the good fight because of his sister much more interesting than what his sexual preference is.

What makes him a hero was, is, and always will be my primary interest in Northstar.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    I was one of those people who read into the original run the possibility of Northstar having an incestuous infatuation with his sister, though I found and find Northstar as a moody, self-absorbed, arrogant s.o.b. who still manages to fight the good fight because of his sister much more interesting than what his sexual preference is.

What makes him a hero was, is, and always will be my primary interest in Northstar.
    I'm with you on this! I must've been too young and naive to get the innuendo. For me I loved his brooding arrogance and his fight to do what was right even though he was a prima dona. So, in the closet or out, Northstar is/was a great character who added a whole new dimension to Alpha Flight.

I should also add that I found him much more interesting as a live homosexual character than as a zombiefied mess. He could've been put to so much better use in X-Men. They really did him no justice! But what's new....... Alpha characters getting no respect. Maybe someday soon they'll correct that problem.