Thread: Alphanex 2.0 - What is it?

Default Alphanex 2.0 - What is it?

Hey all. Well, I've mentioned this once, and you may have noticed a new forum added in called Alphanex (that most of you can't enter). Alphanex 2.0 is a new project I've been working on to replace the existing Alphanex. I look at all my AF web projects as being "For the fans, By the fans" and I've decided to put my money (or time) where my mouth is. I'm sure you all know what Wikipedia is. We've talked about it, complained about it, and just about everyone uses it. The new Alphanex is a Wiki-based project. I have used the MediaWiki script, customized it quite a bit, reqwritten a bunch of it. It is open for all users to add/edit entries. This will make Alphanex truley the ultimate AF resource. Now, the problem we've seen with Wikipedia is that after someone spends significant time writing and editing an entry, some other jerk can come along and undo it all. I've put a lot of thought (and effort) into avoiding that kind of situation. Yes, anyone can edit Alphanex, however I have made it so that the only people who can edit, must have a username and password for the site. Now you are thinking "but any shmoe can get a username and password" and I though that too! So I have tied the authentication of the site into this forum! In order to be able to contribute to Alphanex, you must first be a member of Alpha Waves, and second have to request for me to add you to a user-group that gives you the authentication access. Once these two chriteria have been met, you can log into Alphanex with you forum username and password (100% secure at that) From there if we find someone messing up entries, then all I have to do is remove them from the user-group here, and they loose thier access to edit Alphanex.

So far I am beta testing this with the help of Phil, Del, and Allan (HappyCanuck). When beta is over, I'll want to draft a couple more people to help with the migration of stuff from the old Alphanex.

Any questions, or suggestions, this is the time for it.

Ben

This is a great idea! Please add my name to the contributors. I probably won't add any major entries because I'm busy with my own Alpha Flight Collector site, but I'm happy to act as "Support Staff" to polish up entries, make proofreading corrections, grammar/usage corrections, and I love to add footnotes to cite sources to things. Thanks, Ben!

I have an idea, if we make it graphic-intensive instead of just text, could you create an easy way to upload pictures to the Alphanex 2.0? Something like the photo album you have on the site, I really don't know exactly how it will work. I have a scanner so I could scan in any image from any Alpha Flight appearance within the title or in another title that someone would want to put up on the Alphanex.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

This sounds great, Ben! Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    I have an idea, if we make it graphic-intensive instead of just text, could you create an easy way to upload pictures to the Alphanex 2.0? Something like the photo album you have on the site, I really don't know exactly how it will work. I have a scanner so I could scan in any image from any Alpha Flight appearance within the title or in another title that someone would want to put up on the Alphanex.
    I've already incorporated file Uploading, and you can embed the uploaded images into the text of the entries. I tested that part out last night and worked like a dream.

Ben

Sounds great Ben, is there any way I can take credit for it? No?...damn!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Sounds great Ben, is there any way I can take credit for it? No?...damn!
    Heh, well, the crap you went through with Wikipedia was certainly part of the inspiration behind this project. I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but knew what a HUGE undertaking it would be. I just recently had the motivation to make it real. So far I'm extremely happy with how it's coming together. The big thing that makes this different that your normal Wikipedia type setup is the authentication off the Alpha Waves database. A stroke of genius on my part

Ben

After the whole Wikipedia thing I'm through doing that, if I post any more Alpha related information it will be here where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    After the whole Wikipedia thing I'm through doing that, if I post any more Alpha related information it will be here where it belongs.
    Well, Man, will I ever have the right place for you soon!

As far as I know, this is the first time a comicbook fan-site has ever done anything like this.

Ben

Sounds great. I just got done reading the entire run of Volume 1 again and now I'm much better suited to help out. If you need an extra pair of hands just let me know.

K kids, Beta testing is pretty much done. Next step is to slide everything from the old Alphanex over to the new. First three people to raise their hands get in

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    K kids, Beta testing is pretty much done. Next step is to slide everything from the old Alphanex over to the new. First three people to raise their hands get in

Ben
    *raises hand*