Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mark millar renews with marvel

The biggets thing (well only thing really) I take from Millar's quotes is the word "respect". I don't care if there's Americans, Aliens, Gods, Smirfs or whatever on the team as long as they are written with respect. If you have a group of heroes that have pretty much been a joke the past few years whenever they are written, do you really expect a team book of said characters is going to fly?

I think Millar's facination with the Byrne era isn't necessarily strickly speaking about the specific characters, but the power and wonder of them at that time. The Sasquatch that could stop a jet without trying and fighting the Hulk to a standstill. Compared to what he did in v3, a lot of standing around and dancing to a video game machine. The team back then could wipe the floor with the X-Men. These days they show up with laughable looking "Hulk Buster Armor" and still get pushed around.

And on a personal note, I'd love to see is a Canadian writting the book, not because I don't think anyone else can do the job, but just because the things I most enjoy in movies and comics are the subtle things and are fun to look for. Anyone can write a book about characters saying "I'm in Toronto, eh?" I like the little things like spotting them drinking out of a Tim's (Hortons) coffee cup, Habs and Leaf jerseys on extras in the background or even complaining about the damn tax!. Plus we have such a wide range of characters in our country, how can we not use as much of them to our advantage? Yes, Marina was "from" the maritimes, but that's not good enough. Has anyone here ever met a sterotypical Newfoundlander!? They're hilarious and their accent would be such a treat to read!

Anyways, that's just my random thoughts.

D.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

You know when I plan tol know what 'respect' for Alpha means? When I'll know who is and isn't on the team? What the book looks and feels like?

When I've read it.

But then, I've also read this:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/035/035973p1.html

It's about movies, but I suspect it applies...

- Le Messor
    "Add it up, it all spells duh."
    - Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Yes, Marina was "from" the maritimes, but that's not good enough. Has anyone here ever met a sterotypical Newfoundlander!? They're hilarious and their accent would be such a treat to read!
    As much as I'm against stereotyping anything, I can confirm there ARE stereotypical Newfoundlanders (I'm related to most of them ), and, as long as the 'Newfoundlanders are stupid' mentality is kept to a minimum (ie: Newfie jokes as a comment, not stated as a truth), I think can handle it...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    You know when I plan tol know what 'respect' for Alpha means? When I'll know who is and isn't on the team? What the book looks and feels like?
    Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed.

Ben

you are such a tease.

i had a feeling you had an idea what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed.

Ben
    Thanks for the positive comments, Ben. I note that Scratchy over at comix-fan is as postive as ever, no wonder he survived as an Expos fan for so long. His post I read was about patience and trust, odd given Mr. Brevoort's general replies.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    If Alpha Flight is to be like Excalibur is, then Sabretooth would be our continuity-challenged villain a la Excalibur's Juggernaut.

I doubt Deadpool will be put on a team bok anytime soon. And X-23 is not Canadian, as far as I know.

I could live with Deadpool and Sabretooth on the team, though, if the rest belonged to Alpha Flight.
    Sabretooth's gonna be fixed to X-Men for a while, there's talk of Deadpool joining X-Factor, and as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities?
    Well, if "Canada" and "America" can themselves be considered nations (which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states), then clones can have "nationality", ie. citizenship as opposed to ethnicity.

as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities?
    Genetic clones apparently yes.

Genetic clowns apparently no.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed. Ben
    Kinda my point. I'm holding off opinion 'til I've read the book.
    But, others have said they respect things I like, then presented me with something I felt was completely disrespectful. Didn't Seagal say he liked and respected AF? I don't like what he presented me with (I know, that's becoming an increasingly unpopular opinion around here).

As for Mark himself? I might like him. I dunno; from what I can tell, he's a fellow Christian; I know he's a geek. If he truly is both, Yay! I'd probably like him in real life.

But that doesn't mean I'll enjoy his work. I hated Ultimate (X-Men and Ultimates, the titles I've read any of). I'm intrigued by The Chosen, having had it spoilered, I might get it, but I don't know what I'll think of AF.

I'll decide around about #12, if it gets that far (cynicism about Marvel there, not the series).

- Le Messor
    "Alright. I'll just jump into my time machine, go back to the 12th century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show." - Giles "Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm." - Buffy

which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states
    My apologies. I was raised with the different (and acknowledgely incorrect) wording, viewing countries as nations, and states as equivelant to the concept of provinces. I know. We USAers are a silly bunch, aren't we?

As for Ben and the sealed lips... totally understandable... and as long as another fan out there likes the possible plans... that is good enough for me. I'm guessing I'll be easy to please. This is one of the rare cases where the mystery might be better to build my anticipation and excitement.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states
    My apologies. I was raised with the different (and acknowledgely incorrect) wording, viewing countries as nations, and states as equivelant to the concept of provinces. I know. We USAers are a silly bunch, aren't we?
    No more than us Canucks; whom like any other group has its fair share of fools and wisemen, villians and heroes, people I don't like and people I do, et al. But no need for apologies. I recall reading an interview between an English-Yank and an English-Brit years ago that devolved for awhile on just this matter (it was really about thge dif. between English and British, and what woke a buncha ahem "Brits" up to that difference). Anyway, I got a good chuckle (and apparenlty so did they) as the Yank noted the difference in the useage of terms between the Brits and Yanks, and remarked how the United Nations should probably really be called the United States, and how the United Satates should properly be called the United Nations.

Cheers!

heres rich johnsons (litg) reply to his story about the new alpha flight and millars involvement.

if anyone can make sense of this statement i would love to hear it.

Two stories gripped the message boards this week. The identities behind the individuals who allegedly spread vicious rumours about Mark Millar, as referred to here. And the identity of the alleged sexual harasser that has spurred a civil suit, mentioned in LITG last week and updated here.

I have been aware of the named individuals from both stories for some time, but as of this week there's been quite a call for me to name them. Sorry, but that's not happening.

For a start, the parties on the sides you haven't heard from yet dispute important details of the incidents - but not openly. And the parties you have heard from aren't willing to name them - and if they do, right now, it could get messy.

The vitriol has been so much that, it's possibly not a good idea to name names to a group of people who have grown up reading the tales of a man who dresses up as a bat and goes out to right wrongs with his fists.

As these circumstances alter, so might this stance. But for now I'm staying quiet.

Of course, if either appear in Heidi MacDonald's The Beat, then all bets are off. As of now, you'll have to be satisfied with stories about, I dunno, a "Lady Death/Shi" crossover or something.

I don't think either of those satementa are in reference to Alpha. The second one refers to an incident in a hotel swimming pool during an American convention and the otther is in regards to Millars illness. Mark took a sabbatical due to suffering from 'Crohns Disease', a disease of the intestine, one comics professional implied/said out right? that he was in fact suffering from A.I.D.S/HIV.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

ahhhhh....

well, the link takes it to part 2 of millars newsarama interview which he confirms his alpha invvolvement, an i know he has been catching neat for reproting the capt. america in alpha flight thing that has been denied by multiple sources.

but your probally right becsause the wording of this made no sense to me.