Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mark millar renews with marvel

However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team.

New? I don't like the sound of that. Better not be too new...

it will probally be based on byrnes work rather than the "all new all different" past incarnations.

What gives you that idea, Varo?

because millar put in a proposal based on the research and admiration he had for byrnes original run, and the concept for the new series will be based on that.

I pitched the idea to Marvel just as they were preparing a new Alpha Flight book (with an excellent writer I really like) and they were incredibly accommodating, working all my plans into their series and launching the whole thing from Civil War.

I will have zero to do with the book beyond that or setting it up (the writer is too good and too smart to need a paunchy Scots drunk looking over his shoulder)

theres also a quote earlier in the interview stating that he has been catching up on old reading and byrnes run on alpha and ff are some of his favorite runs on any book he's read, matter of fact he stated he wanted a shot at both alpha and fantastic four.

btw, millar will be conducting a second interview with comic book resources tomorrow (weds.)

Woo hoo! Mark Millar gets the award for telling the truth, Alpha Flight has been in the works and he does ahve a hand in it, relaunch is coming in 2007! That is awesome!

I have no doubt now that Alpha Flight is back!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I was very excited by the mentions in the interview... and at least this puts to rest the anger about the prospects of Cap Am in Alpha Flight. I'm not sure there is really that much more to read into it (aside from the fact that it most probably will indeed at some time exist), and I wouldn't really take too much out of just the word new... given the emphasis on the Byrne stuff with Miller, I think that chances for good things are high. Finger crossed. I've got the three cores I want in mind, so if they're met... I'll pledge the heart.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Wow - if AF is revived with most of the original Byrne cast and a great writer at its helm, I'll return to reading comics. Well, AF at the very least.

Can't wait for more news. I might even pick up Civil War to suss out what's happening.

"However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team."

Okay, so the above is a quote from the Millar interview. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it doesn't sound like a promise of a classic AF team. It sounds like an AF populated by U.S. heroes. That was the other recent rumour wasn't it? The one that went long with Cap leading AF?

Tell me I'm worng. Really. But provide good reasons and an alternative interpretation of the above quote.

i don't know, it just seems that with millars admiited love for byrnes run on the series and his recent comment on cap leading a team in canada is silly makes me think it will be more towards the originals than a whole new team.

i pray marvel doesn't get it wrong for the 3rd time.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    "However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team."

Okay, so the above is a quote from the Millar interview. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it doesn't sound like a promise of a classic AF team. It sounds like an AF populated by U.S. heroes. That was the other recent rumour wasn't it? The one that went long with Cap leading AF?

Tell me I'm worng. Really. But provide good reasons and an alternative interpretation of the above quote.
    Maybe the team starts up again using US heroes until Mac and the rest are back on their feet. Even if they didn't die from the attack by the Collective they sure as hell were pretty messed up by it, and I'm sure they'll have to take some time to recover.

It's hardly likely that Alpha Flight will be populated by Americans. Remember, we know some of Alpha Flight lived beyond NA #16. We also know that Mac Hudson and Puck are on Civil War promos. We also know that Millar is setting up the relaunch in Civil War based on Alpha Flight, not Alpha Flight being created by events in Civil War. Alpha Flight is involved in Civil War, that's it. So maybe an American or two will join a la Excalibur, but that's it. It will be an Alpha Flight team with a couple new members from the U.S.

Larger question is if the additions will be mutants or Avengers.

Live it.

I could see them adding a few non-Canadians to gain more interest down south (a la Sunfire that one time) but what would you guys say to actual popular Canadians not normally affiliated with Alpha?

Sabertooth?
    Deadpool?
    is X-23 Canadian?

Maybe Wolvie for a bit.

Who else is there?

If Alpha Flight is to be like Excalibur is, then Sabretooth would be our continuity-challenged villain a la Excalibur's Juggernaut.

I doubt Deadpool will be put on a team bok anytime soon. And X-23 is not Canadian, as far as I know.

I could live with Deadpool and Sabretooth on the team, though, if the rest belonged to Alpha Flight.

Live it.

Honestly I think the team needs to have someone wearing the flag suit in charge. I'd prefer Mac just because I think it makes the most sense. The rest of the team could be just about any mix of old AF members and a few new faces. As long as it's a line-up that MAKES SENSE, and is well written it should be a good read. I think they need to be careful about two things.

1) AF is a Canadian team, so the stories about the need to have some kind of relevance on a Canadian level. Not poorly written "ehs" and bad jokes at Canada's expense.
    2) The team can't be restricted to Canada unless it makes sense. Obviously our country is a big place, but the population is extremely small. The team's existence and activities really need to be well thought out by the creative team. If they spend all their time in space or other countries it will be wierd. If they only fly around the country protecting mother nature...that'll get boring.

I really think the book will be a challenge for whatever team they give it to. I hope they do a good job.

While I'm glad that Cap isn't going to be taking a position in Canada or in Alpha Flight, I'm now pretty comfortable with the idea of non-Canadians heroes taking refuge with Alpha Flight and potentially joining up with them. Obviously I'm in a minority here, but despite the overwhelming signicance of the country in Alpha's identity, I've never thought of "being Canadian" as the single most important factor that characterizes them. They were (and hopefully are) a symbol of much more, a symbol of hope for all the world, especially given the overwhelming messages of tolerance and overcoming adversity within the pages. While I don't want to lose the specific trio or so of characters that I've become incredibly attached to, I won't whine if they accept Americans or anyone else for that matter.

While I'm a fan of New Excalibur (mainly for just one character), despite the fact that they would take the earlier series' failings into account, I don't really want to see them do a carbon copy replication of that team, mainly because of the simple fact that it has already been done, although admittedly I might not mind seeing that anyways. I don't want to see Sabertooth on the team because I don't think that he has undergone any significant personality changes within the recent history, and despite the complaints that Juggernaut is a major mess of continuity, I actually can admit to having enjoyed his transformation, even if it did seem somewhat typical and cliche at times. His soft spot was exposed and developed, illuminating that he isn't just an evil soul, whereas Sabertooth I'm not so sure about. As for X-23's nationality, I guess you'd have to work with the question of whether or not nationality is determined by a clone's heritage, location of birth or actual deliverer of life. I suppose we could label her a New Yorker, but I'm not sure that would reallybe accurate. Once again though, personality, character ability and ideals will be much more important to me than simple citizenship (and I think they'll keep X-23 right where she is).
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

I could deal with a couple or a few American characters joining the team, but would require Sasq's prescence and the presence of "the suit". I don't care whose in it, the suit though is a must. It would be nice to see others too, but those two elements are necessary for my interest.

Of course, even with those prereq.'s filled, I wouldn't be too impressed with a team overpopulated by Americans.

I was really put-off by the Millar quote I provided above, and hope that all of this non-sense that keeps coming out in interviews is all for the purposes of misdirection and keeping folk off balance. Afterall, if we begin nailing down too many facts today, how much fun will the series be when it launches... several months from now.

The way I saw this evolving was that American heroes and villains, freebooters all who want no restirctions placed on them, flee to Canada. As a result of both the flood and the contrary nature of the superpowered immigrants, Department H is left with a real mess on its hands and needs AF (which has always been willing to at least deal with the authorities on an open and honest level) as Canada's police force more than ever.

I think that I just found my own reason why those America immigrants won't be populating AF. Afterall, AF has always been open about their identities to the powers that be, has worked under governement and RCMP authority. The Americans are fleeing so as not to be forced into just that type of game, right? They don't want to be government "lackeys". Not saying that AF is a group of government lackeys, but they have always been open and responsible and selfless in their relationship with our elected officials.

Speaking of which; what IS up with Canada's Superhuman Registeration Act?! WAs it short-lived? Is it still in effect? Are present writers mereyl forgetting about it? And if not, why the heck are any of the "rugged individualists" -- or should that be "Counter-culturalists. Thats right, not anti-Culturalists, but *counter* culturalists" (aren't we witty! -- fleeing the US for Canada?!

Just making things fit the mold they've come up with?