Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mark millar renews with marvel

Default mark millar renews with marvel

plus the promise of a exclusive interview.

hmmmmm.........

On the eve of his return to the public eye, including a comprehensive interview here at Newsarama scheduled for this coming Monday, writer Mark Miller has informed us that he has re-upped his exclusive contract with Marvel for another two years.

"Marvel has been great to me these past five years,” Millar said, explaining his decision to renew his exclusive. "I've had an incredible time and, for a bunch of reasons I'll explain in Monday's interview, I wanted to make a commitment to them in the long-term.

"I've signed up until the middle of 2008 and, with Marvel Civil War, feel like I'm really just kicking into high gear. It's no secret that I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year and Ike [Marvel Chief Executive Offer Isaac Perlmutter] was just brilliant about it. He flew me out to the States and had some of the best doctors in the world check me over. It's been a long six months, but I'm feeling a good deal better after all their treatment and just really want to repay that by upping Marvel's market share to an almost embarrassing degree. DC has been terrific lately. They've really upped their game in the time I've been off, but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. It's going to be an exceptional year for comics and I couldn't be happier about being back."

On Monday, Millar gives Newsarama his first one-on-one Civil War interview; outlines his Marvel plans for the next two years; reveals the secret “Millarworld” book you didn't even know about; talks about the launch of “Millarworld 2”; becoming friends with DC again; and what it's like to have a hospital camera inserted where the sun don't shine.

"This is a Newsarama interview you won't want to miss," promises Millar.

Is this really Alpha Flight news at this point? It's more of a general comics thing. . .

was gonna put this in general discussion, i'll leave that up to ben to decide. but something tells me come monday we may hear something about the future of alpha flight.

Let's wait 'till the interview comes out before moving it

Ben

Well, I read the interview over on newsarama (presumably the same interview, yes?)... no mention of Alpha Flight directly, although he did make further mention of a project he had planned that will be drawing out of Civil War, thoug admittedly from the context I'm not sure I"m inclined to suggest that this book is indeed Alpha Flight... but he also made mention of the smaller 'less cool' characters that have dedicated fan bases of their own and how he values and would like to use them, so I guess we could label that an Alpha Flight emphasis as well, but once again, no direct mention of name or any clue as to Alpha's fate during or post-Civil War.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

that was not the interview. the interview is monday. that was the civil war press interview.

that was not the interview. the interview is monday. that was the civil war press interview.
    Oops. My error. I guess it was a good thing I asked. So I guess maybe we might get more beans tomorrow. Hope so. Could use some.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/millar/millar_1.html
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Yea, Double post

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/millar/millar_2.html

NRAMA: Speaking of ramifications of Civil War…Alpha Flight?

That's it… just talk about Alpha Flight. You know the questions on people's minds.

MM: Well, the two big questions are whether Cap flees for Canada and whether I'm writing the Alpha Flight spin-off book. To answer the first, no, Cap doesn’t flee for Canada because that's just bloody stupid and completely out of character.

However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team. I pitched the idea to Marvel just as they were preparing a new Alpha Flight book (with an excellent writer I really like) and they were incredibly accommodating, working all my plans into their series and launching the whole thing from Civil War.

I will have zero to do with the book beyond that or setting it up (the writer is too good and too smart to need a paunchy Scots drunk looking over his shoulder), but there's a number of books I'm helping set up in this regard. There's about five at present and I'd love to write at least one of them. I don't know if I'll have time, but as well as the revamps of most of the established Marvel books Civil War will also launch several high-profile spin-offs. These books will be very varied and have some creative teams Joe, Tom [Brevoort], Mike Marts, and Axel [Alonso] are putting together right now and it's incredibly exciting.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Bwah-hahahahahaha.

Sweet, sweet hope... I'd almost forgotten thee...
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

That sounded pretty damn clear! Sounds like Marvel is putting Alpha Flight back on the shelves. I hope they don't make it an All New All Different team. Give us something we recognize! I'll take a new character or two, but I'd really like to see a core of four or five classic Alphans. Hopefully Marvel has learned the folly of their past attempts. I'll keep my fingers crossed and start planning to purchase subscriptions for my nephews and maybe a niece or two. Maybe if they sale enough subs they won't get antsy about the numbers too quickly.

so should we still move this to general discussion?

sorry, had to take that cheap shot, i just had a strong feeling based on the current rumors and millars stated affection for byrnes work that something would have been said.

that said i really think we are going to see the series we have all been wishing for. millar said he put a proposal in based on all of byrnes work (which he said in the interview he is a huge fam of) but a different proposal was accepted instead, but millar would be setting up the series in civil war.

so a couple things i get from this interview.

1) a new series is 99% confirmed.

2) it will probally be based on byrnes work rather than the "all new all different" past incarnations.

now i'm off to bug some creators to try and get a confirmation.

Oh...I'd love to find out that Alan Davis was doing the art(does he write?).

Dana