Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE NEW ALPHA FLIGHT? *Possible Spoilers*

After hereing Bendis say that 'Canada will be knee deep in heros soon'(not exact quote I'm just going from memory) I had a feeling that we'd have some heros 'stationed' in Canada durring the Civil War.

I think it could be interesting to see all of the usuals up here for a bit. It brings about some ideas(to my thinking at least) for the true Alphans to re-form again.

- When the visitors are here, Canada gets used to their presence and gets more vocal about filling the void when the visitors return state-side.

- With the influx of metas, Alpha Flight not only has to be reactivated but expanded to help with the meta-boom.

Idealy we'd just get our Alphans the way we want them but with Millar, who has already told us how much of an old-school fan he is, the one who is going to make it possible for a new Alpha Flight to be written I'm still excited about the end result.

I fully expect to see some things on the way that I'd prefer not to see but sometimes, that's part of the fun.

I fully expect to see some things on the way that I'd prefer not to see but sometimes, that's part of the fun.
    To be honest, the whole of Civil War is something I'd rather not see... but I guess we make do with what we get, no?

EDIT: With regards to the worry that this will become an entirely non-Canadian dominated group, I actually don't think that there is that great of a worry about that, as Marvel has already made that mistake and regretted it in the past. I think that to put the name Alpha Flight up implies the element of prominent Canadianism... look at what Chris Claremont had to say at the announcement of the New Excalibur title...

"A great many fans made clear that - while they appreciated and enjoyed the stories we were telling on Genosha — they did not appreciate what they felt was the misappropriation of the brand-identity of Excalibur,” Claremont said. “In other words, the Genosha series might have been more welcomed had it been differently titled. To those readers, Excalibur means England-Captain Britain-connections to OtherWorld-a visual and story-telling aesthetic more in keeping with the original series by me and Alan Davis."

I think that we can safely assume that the readers of Alpha Flight in the past certainly have a Canadian association with the brand-identity of Excalibur. To us, Alpha Flight means Canada with a past members connection... I think the general anger expressed towards that title should shield us from any such "Captain America rules Canada" listings.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Rich did state something that Marvel needs to do...

"Marvel, time for an Essential Volume, no?"

MM [-o<

Forget an "Essential."

Howzabout a "Visionaries" for the Byrne run?
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Maybe it'll be a bit in the mode of Excalibur. After all, that trash that 'New' Excalibur replaced was pretty bad. Many people think Lobdell's AF was, too.

So if were done like Excalibur (which it won't be, of course), then:

- Excalibur has Captain Britain (so Alpha Flight has Heather or Mac)
    - Excalibur has Pete Wisdom (so Alpha Flight has Wyre, or Nemesis, Zuzha, Flex, or some other latecomer)
    - Excalibur has Juggernaut (so AF would have their own continuity-messed-up 'American' villain, Sabretooth)
    - Excalibur has Nocturne from the EXiles (so AF gets.... Princess Power? Sunpyre, though she's dead? White Sasquatch?)
    - Exaclibur has Dazzler and Sage (so Alpha Flight gets Rogue and Ms. Marvel, or Marrow and Emma Frost?)

Of course not. But if the story is true, then it will be a 5-8 member team, with 2-3 Alpha Flighters, no more, and who knows American deserters.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

After thinking about it they could slap the Alpha Flight name on just about anything these days and I would buy it.

I'm having Avengers Disassembled flashbacks.

Old team have trouble selling? Just replace them all with our more popular characters and call them the "new" version of the old team.

I guess that’s the new world order

We're all assuming the title will be Alpha Flight. Hell they could call it Conscientious Objectors for all we know. I think it'l have some Alphans on the roster, since it'll be operating in Canada, but it doesn't have to. Could just be a bunch of Yanks dodging the registration act. We'll have to wait and see. It could also set the stage for a future Alpha Flight title. It's all specualtion at this point.

If you go by the "Alpha Flight in their final battle" than I guess any future series won't be called Alpha Flight anyways. Besides, should the LITG rumour be true then it won't be AF even if they call it that, and Marvel will be setting us up for the prerequisite disappointment. After all, CW is a limited event which means all the heroes who head up here will eventually be going back. So, if AF is dead like buddy at LITG says, we'll be left right where we were after NA #17.

I don't think all of Alpha Flight is dead. I'm optimitic that several of them survived the encounter. I'd say Sasquatch, Puck, and Heather should survive for sure. Mac has already died too many times to count, so if he bought it again, I could live with it. Shaman has pretty much been made insignificant with the arrival of Earthmover, so I can see them letting him die, too. I wouldn't be happy about that death, but I could see it happening and learn to accept it. Puck II and Major Mapleleaf I was never married to anyway. They might have grown on me eventually, but never had a chance, so I wouldn't miss them terribly either.

Now if they killed off Heather and made the Hudson kid an orphan I'd be shocked. Sas and Puck are fan faves, so I think there'd be backlash if they were truly dead as well.

Still I don't see Alpha Flight having more than cameos in this Civil War story. Those cameos may just be shots of the battlefield after the Collective wiped them out or hospital shots. I think the book will be filled with conscientious objectors from the States. Hopefully I'm wrong and the book will be the foothold Alpha needs to get back in print on a regular basis.

Joe Q, Mike Marts, and more have said that the AFers in NA #16-17 aren't all dead. Some are for sure, some aren't for sure.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben

You can't help yourself can ya ?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    Wow it seems that everyone hates this idea except me (an exception or two to that statement I guess). I thought that any Alpha possibility would be good and not met already with such loathing of the possibilities...
    Not everyone.
    But me. I don't want a new Alpha Flight title. I want Alpha Flight.
    What I mean by that is, I don't want another bunch of strangers I've never met and don't care about running around doing things I'm not that interested in. Slapping the words 'Flight' and 'Alpha' on a cover once a month does not Alpha Flight make. Do that, and you get v2 and v3. Next to nothing to do with the team I came to know and love, but still expected to have my loyalty, simply for the sake of those two words.
    "What is in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet." - Shakespeare
    "Don't give me songs. Give me something to sing about." - Buffy

Canadians working cahoots with Americans is a recipe for disaster?
    Working with, no. But that's not what got described. What got described was, a bunch of Americans moving to Canada and calling themselves Alpha Flight, and led by Captain frickin' America, not by a Canadian, and we're supposed to go 'A bunch of Americans... but it's set in Canada, so Alpha Flight's back! Yay!'
    Being Canadian is the only thing, other than the name, that the three series had in common. Take that away, and what've you got?

Whats so wrong with the Americans?
    In this case? National arrogance. Having a Canadian team led by their national hero; it's insulting to Canada.
    Why, that'd be like taking, say, the British national anthem, and using the tune as a US patriotic song.

With regards to the worry that this will become an entirely non-Canadian dominated group, I actually don't think that there is that great of a worry about that, as Marvel has already made that mistake and regretted it in the past. I think that to put the name Alpha Flight up implies the element of prominent Canadianism.
    Your faith in Marvel will be your undoing.'
    You seem to believe that they learn from their mistakes. I'm curious; where do you get that from?
    Okay, maybe Chris Claremont learns from his; but Marvel? Now that's another matter entirely. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. But we found the M & Ms, and Ozzy went on to do an excellent show.

- Mik
    "A lot of educators tell students, "Think of your principal as your pal." I say, "Think of me as your judge, jury, and executioner."
    - Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Ahh, so Ben, Millar told you things you can't tell us yet, methinks

Live it.