Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE NEW ALPHA FLIGHT? *Possible Spoilers*

See I can see Marvel totally screwing an idea like this and committing the ultimate blasphemy.....putting Steve Rogers in the Guardian suit. I don't think Mac would give it up unless it were peeled off his cold dead body, and I don't think Rogers would don anything that wasn't star spangled, but I can see Marvel screwing it up.

Wow it seems that everyone hates this idea except me (an exception or two to that statement I guess). I thought that any Alpha possibility would be good and not met already with such loathing of the possibilities... also quite amazing given the fact that we've only got a few sentences upon which to base our judgments. Canadians working cahoots with Americans is a recipe for disaster? Whats so wrong with the Americans? National interaction in comics is a good thing, and depending on the heroes included might draw more and more fans. While somewhat a different scenario, look at the makeup of the 2nd generation X-Men and the New Mutants... two teams that resided within America but had almost no Americans on the teams whatsoever. Is Alpha Flight only Alpha Flight if the team roster is entirely Canadian?
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    Is Alpha Flight only Alpha Flight if the team roster is entirely Canadian?
    Yes. Or at least overwhelmingly Canadian.

I really think this is a very bad idea. I wouldn't have a problem if one or two American heroes moved to Canada and joined AF. But making this the entire concept behind AF is just about the worst reboot of AF I can imagine.

CA leading AF? Just shoot me, please.

Well, unfortunately all Joe Q has to say is:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Q
    Sorry, Ben, but I don't address rumors from rumor sites like this.

JQ
    So no confirmation from that end.

Ben

I'm not averse to this idea, in fact it could be rather fun.

Of course this isn't what I'd want as the basis for a long-term relaunch of the property, but let's not blow things out of proportion here. Civil War is an event, it won't last forever and after the turmoil it creates is complete there'll be some return to normalcy for the effected characters. Marvel of course wouldn't leave someone like Capitan America as a member of Alpha Flight (if that's even what's going to happen), but if it's a plot element used as part of a larger story... sure why not? The originals will be back at some point anyways, and in the meantime the AF name has been pulled into the company spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Andthis has listings now for Zuzha and Vindicator, neither listed as dead yet. No A. Flighters on the deceased page, either.
    That's made by fans, not Marvel. It's no more official than Wikipedia other than being hosted on Marvel.com.
    Ah.

I fired off a couple of emails, and posted at Joe Q's board. I went and checked the Joe Q. thing at Newsarama and two AF questions have been asked already, so that's two more possible replies. See what else we can do to get info.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I think Rich was messing around when he wrote that Captain America was going to lead AF. (It's probably a pun at Canada) seeing as how both Alpha Flight & The Avengers are both lead by Patriotic characters.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    I think Rich was messing around when he wrote that Captain America was going to lead AF. (It's probably a pun at Canada) seeing as how both Alpha Flight & The Avengers are both lead by Patriotic characters.

MM
    I might have agreed, but the fact that he posted again and said it was not a joke and he cleared it with internal sources, and didn't mention anything about just being sarcastic about Captain America, makes me think that line wasn't meant as a joke.

Meh. Between trying to put Scans Daily and downloading whole comic runs off of torrent sites in the same light and posting the ramblings of a mentally ill woman off her meds, I've written LitG off as hackery. I'll wait until something hits the shelves.

Suzene

I think the key word in the name of that website is "Lying".

I would love it if Wolverine joined AF again(that might ensure some good sales), but I just can't see Alpha being populated by characters nobody else wants to use(which is probably what would happen...lot's of third and fourth tier heroes from America, running from the mandatory registration).

Dana

hate to say this but litg is where i first heard about series 2 and 3. he usually is pretty right about this stuff.

To be fair to Rich he's right on the money 90% of the time, and he's never claimed to be anything other than a rumour site. He doesn't do it to be an ass or to make rubbish up. People read the thread and enjoy it, Rich is good what he does.

The premise does sound very much like Millar's writing style, and Quesada's refusal to comment on anything Rich publishes is usually a good sign. One of the funniest interviews I ever read was Rich interviewing Quesada. I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

And also, could people be looking too much into the fact that the team will be made up of other supes'. What does 'manned by' strictly mean?

On one hand I think it's great that AF is getting this much attention. It's keeping the team in the comic world's conscious and for that I am grateful.

As for having a bunch of heroes cross the border to form a new team I'm ok with the idea but it has to have a member of AF in it or else all is lost.

Awesome picture Varo!! Too true.

As for relaunching Alpha as last years avengers or whatever....... pfffff

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    very funny pic i found: