Poll: Would you sign the Superpowers Registration Act?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Sign The Superpowers Registration Act?

As for registration and crime reduction; if I buy a gun, I register it. Not becasue I want to reduce gun crime, but becasue it is my responsibility to as an adult, and my obligation to my neighbour... who might not even want guns to exist himself.
    So Spider-Man choosing to register would stop Erbert the pervert from molesting children? Furthermore, has the registration of guns stopped the usage of guns in criminal activity? Are they not still used for murder and other criminal activities? Lets also say that a superhero registers, out of respect for those neighbors who don't want superheroes to exist. They'll still be doing the exact same activities they were doing before. How does that change anything? Actually, the registration simply makes authorized vigilanteism legal, does it not?

Well, the first step would be establishing who the real Spiderman is. If we don't have that then its anyone's best guess. Maybe Peter Parker was testifying in court at the time of the incident. Unfortunately, no one knows that Peter Parker is Spiderman, most of all the courts, so it sucks to be Parker and rocks to be a criminal in a Spidey costume.
    So, the government is able to recognize Parker as a result of a complex identification process. This stops the molestor or criminal from wearing the Spidey costume how? If a criminal is caught perpetrating a crime, it doesn't really matter whether or not he is the real Spider-Man is in the first place.

I don't know; how does having ID make things any better in terms of, ohh, I dunno, law enforcement? Or military personel? Don't you think it is a good idea that these people have ID's to prove who they are and what they claim to be, and which place them within a loop of accountability if something goes awry ... despite the chance of forgery? Or would you prefer an anonymous "police force", with no ID, no training, that couldn't be held accountable, and that wore a mask, and targetted "criminals" on their own whim?
    I'm talking about practical application. What purpose does the ID actually serve? When are you going to use this ID to prove that you are an authorized vigilante? Pop out the card in the middle of a fight with Dr. Doom, "Don't worry citizens, I'm authorized to do this." I'm pretty sure that at that point the cits don't care too much. Military personel also have IDs for specific purposes, namely access to bases and those resources restricted from normal commoners. Therefore that ID serves a purpose. Having an ID serves no clear purpose to me, for the superheroes, other than for providing a false sense of security.

the Golden Age has passed and its time to grow up.

Yes, they do have to reveal their identities and precisely when they are assuming a heightened degree of societal responsibility and authority. Especially then.
    Why? What practical difference does it make? The people don't care the names of the individuals protecting them. I don't know the name of the policemen that serve me. Why does a name, an identity, matter to the casual observer?

Well, Iron Man stated that anyone acting in FLAGRANT disregard for the act would be hunted down, so it would appear to be the case. So, yeah, even here in BC it might not be a good idea to walk up to the local narcotics officer, sparking up dubbies, and showing off all your small quantity stash. Might be a bad idea. They might deport you to the States or something. But unless you're doing that, or destroying houses and driving down property value with grow-ops, you're probably pretty safe engaging in recreational use.
    Whether or not they are flagarantly disregarding the act or not doesn't change the fact that they would still be guilty of a crime. Those who commit crimes within the public eye are no guiltier than those who do it in the safe comfort of a back alley or their homes. So the Act is still slamming down a damning sentence upon innocents based on circumstances which they can't deny.

No, I would rather be at the whim of a government that I more-or-less
    support. I don't have to agree with every particular to still support my country. And some of the things that I disagree with might be dozey's, and I accept that as the price of doing business and making this way of life work.

You're still working under the pretense that the majority of the policies that are in effect are still to your general benefit, hence the purpose of the social contract in its purest form. However, for these individuals, society has now deprived them of their most basic human rights, and they no longer feel that the government is at all supportable. If a government that you supported decided that a minority was a threat and thus encarcerated them, would you continue to support them? What if you were a member of that minority? The laws of the country you've supported have turned on you and have threatened your life and liberty, are you still supporting them then?

that there are more than enough willing combatants that no one has to be forced into service.
    And if there are none? Also, that still doesn't solve your problem of walking nuclear bombs and what they're doing.

Of course, the worst case has to be the only way it could possibly go. I however beg to differ. I won't go that way. As a matter of quick response the orgnaization will chose those best trained and experienced, and they will bare the brunt of the consequences for any hastily made decisions ... as an inevitable fact of registration.
    But that would be denying the very nature of the act. The act was created in order to make these heroes responsible for their actions. To blame them for errors. That is the very purpose of all of this. SHIELD itself will not take the blame, the same as it is in the real world. When a cop screws up, no one begins to question the validity of the police force, and whether or not the police department itself should be held responsible. When there is an error by a soldier in battle, that soldier is held accountable, not the miltary itself, as is policy pretty much throughout the world. You don't often indicte organizations, particularly those that you are dependant upon to serve and protect you. Also, with the debated international status of the organization, who has the authority to charge SHIELD with anything?

And hey, I WANT the partially invulenrable guy that can shoot lasers from his eyes working the graveyard shift in my terd-hole location 7/11. If the people at Mac's don't, ??????
    What?

In the end I suppose that this whole discussion is entirely pointless, as I'm quite resolute in my stance, and you're obviously quite firm in yours, but I would like to say that I appreciate the fact that you're willing to continue this discussion despite the fact that we're not going to come to an actual agreement or even resolution. I've certainly come to a better understanding of my actual stance and the reasons behind my opinions, much better than I had when we began. Thanks.

I suppose that also the limited ability of the medium to give us all of the necesarry information will also continue to hinder us, as even with as much detail as they can give us, it'll never be quite as full as the real thing. Still, is anyone else frustrated by the fact that we still don't have enough information to really go on?

Edit: Haha! Great to hear that you appreciate the discussion as well. Missed your post before I posted. It really is great to have such a dedicated discussion... on other boards *cough*theforce.net*cough* most of the times when we get into really good deep developed discussions, one side just cops out and decides that by not talking about it they are taking the higher ground. I'm glad we don't have that same attitude here.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Hey, can I vote for two?

Peel my costume from my cold, dead body...they'd probably love to do that...or...Forget it!...
    Gotta go with being an "illegal" hero. The fascist jerks...er, I mean the status quo...aren't right.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Yeah, I think that Garry the Al-Fan's post summed up the extent of the arguement I got on other lists. Name calling, alarmist associations, and not alot else. Notthat I didn't get that here too. You'd figure that the righteous side would be able to muster a better arguement than "Nazi" or whatever. Kinda solidifies that side I'm on, knowig what comprises the majority of the opposition... alarmists and name callers.

Anyway, thanks again ShamanOTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    Edit: Haha! Great to hear that you appreciate the discussion as well. Missed your post before I posted. It really is great to have such a dedicated discussion... on other boards *cough*theforce.net*cough* most of the times when we get into really good deep developed discussions, one side just cops out and decides that by not talking about it they are taking the higher ground. I'm glad we don't have that same attitude here.
    Oh so am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Yeah, I think that Garry the Al-Fan's post summed up the extent of the arguement I got on other lists. Name calling, alarmist associations, and not alot else. Notthat I didn't get that here too. You'd figure that the righteous side would be able to muster a better arguement than "Nazi" or whatever. Kinda solidifies that side I'm on, knowig what comprises the majority of the opposition... alarmists and name callers.

Anyway, thanks again ShamanOTW.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I'd give up being the hero--"flagrant use" for the protection of my family. In this information age, no data would ever be safe.

More comparable is police and medical liscenscing, in which an individual has chosen to go through significant training and has earned the liscence, thus making them accountable for their actions. However, the superhero registration act is for no such purpose. It does not posit that they should be given any such training but rather just that they should be monitored and controlled.
    The lisence indicates you have been trained. And without the lisence, it is illegal to practice medicine, for the protection of the public.

Maybe "kicking doors in" was an extreme example. But how many skylights have Daredevil and Spider-Man used for illegal entry to a potential crime scene. Police need a warrant, vigilantes do not. If Doc Ock is arrested after a fight with Spider-Man after Spider-Man illegally entered Ock's rented warehouse space, the case would be dismissed. Registration should make the heroes accountable to those laws.

An end result of the registration should be that metahuman crime rates RISE and super-defendants get charges dismissed more often.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I've never forgiven Captain America for arresting mutants who refused to sign the old registration act...
    See
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/quillresist.htm

They're was an old issue of What If? #30 (The second story in the issue) where Reed and Sue Richards daughter lived. She was organizing rallies for various causes, which upset the status quo. The govt. ordered the Avengers not to take part in the rallies or they would lose membership and face criminal charges. Every Avenger but Captain America quit on the spot.... Blind patriotism is a very dangerous thing...

If there's one ideology I hate, it's "My country right or wrong." I'm sure the Nazis told themselves the same thing...

I'm just criticising "Cap" here, as for the idea of registration, I'm sure there are good arguments for and against the idea...I wouldn't want to be singled out for profiling, but I can understand being afraid of dangerous mutants. The whole idea is useless anyways, what super-villian is going to go register himself (Or herself)? All you'll get are the good, decent, law-abiding folks, not the threats.
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

P.S. I would probably sign it, because I had to so as not to break the law...What other people do is their own choice, and none of my business.
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

Quote Originally Posted by darc_light
    I've never forgiven Captain America for arresting mutants who refused to sign the old registration act...
    See
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/quillresist.htm
    That wasn't the original Steve Rogers/Captain America(and current Cap)....that was his temporary government replacement, John Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by darc_light
    They're was an old issue of What If? #30 (The second story in the issue) where Reed and Sue Richards daughter lived. She was organizing rallies for various causes, which upset the status quo. The govt. ordered the Avengers not to take part in the rallies or they would lose membership and face criminal charges. Every Avenger but Captain America quit on the spot.... Blind patriotism is a very dangerous thing...

If there's one ideology I hate, it's "My country right or wrong." I'm sure the Nazis told themselves the same thing...

I'm just criticising "Cap" here, as for the idea of registration, I'm sure there are good arguments for and against the idea...I wouldn't want to be singled out for profiling, but I can understand being afraid of dangerous mutants. The whole idea is useless anyways, what super-villian is going to go register himself (Or herself)? All you'll get are the good, decent, law-abiding folks, not the threats.
    I agree about the blind patriotism being dangerous (and it's kind of stupid too). This time, Cap is on the right side, though...so props to him.

Cap should never be portrayed as a slave to what the government wants...he should always stand for freedom and the protection of the people of America.

Dana

Thanks for the correction about John Walker.

Were you refering to him being in the right about Quill or the Richards' daughter? Her name was Mary, by the way. Me and my rotten memory.

I disagree, of course. I mean you're right, legally he was doing his job, but morally I don't see chasing down and arresting a scared kid for being an unregistered mutant as very heroic or standing up for anyone's freedom. Of course, when he (Quill) joined the Resistants, he WAS a criminal, so that changed...No offence, I just have a differant opinion of the situation.

And thanks for not tearing into me like some people might have. It's good to be able to discuss things you disagree on without a screaming match.

I assume the Super Powers Registration Act applies to non-mutants as well, if Spider-Man is included. So that means sorcerors and magicians (like Dr. Strange), Aliens (Like Adam X/X-Treme), mutates (like Armadillo, who is already well known to authorities), or Cyborgs, like...Gee, most are already well known to authorities, Donald Pierce and the Reavers, Lady Deathstrike...

Anyway, it must cover a lot of ground.

No...I meant he's on the right side now(with the new superpowers registration/Civil War thing) IMO(and Kozzi has an incredibly good point about the law hindering the work of a registered super hero)It's the side I'd choose.

Dana

I understand now. I often wondered how that kind of thing would stand up in court...
    Thanks for clearing that up.

darc_light Posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're was an old issue of What If? #30 (The second story in the issue) where Reed and Sue Richards daughter lived.
    If you look carefully, you can see Walter Langkowski in that issue, as it mirrors the events of FF# 266-268, where he showed up as a radiation expert called in by Reed Richards to help Sue.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

There's also a little clause in the Declaration of Independence that states if a government is unjust the people have the right to rise up and overthrow that government and "all men are created equal". So given that I think either side could argue they're on the right side of the law. The Declaration of Indepenence is a hard document for an American to argue with. It's what we've based our existence on. So if a group feels the law is unjust then they should stand up and voice their opinion. If the government then rises up to squash them, then they have the right to bear arms in the defense of their homes as well as what they may consider a patriotic duty to overthrow the unjust government. Why should someone who is in the eyes of the government an equal be forced to register for being different? Sorry, but I gotta side with the non-registered heroes. What comes next making homosexuals register because they are "different and dangerous"? It's ludicrous! Now Northstar is double registered! And how can that be fair?

Yes, that was the first story, where the Richard's daughter Suzie turns out to be a murderous psychic vampire/monster....

Doctors Banner, Octavius and Morbius were also there. As far as I know, only Michael Morbius is an actual medical doctor. They never specified if he (Morbius) was a vampire or not, but he still had that bat-like face...
    There was also a doctor named Kite, but I don't recognize the name.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    darc_light Posted: They're was an old issue of What If? #30 (The second story in the issue) where Reed and Sue Richards daughter lived.
    If you look carefully, you can see Walter Langkowski in that issue.
    I know that's why I have the issue.
    I think Morbius was vamped at the time, if he had the bat-face. They never specified they were after medical doctors; most of the people they wanted were radiation experts.

It makes you think, if the constitution lets you take arms against governments of trouble, and by opposing end them, consider how that applies to our superheroes...

I wonder if there is a right side to the Civil War debate. The registration isn't about mutants; it's about people who want to do superheroics. It's not about what they are, it's about what they do. There's a huge distinction.

Dr Strange is one of the few supers who doesn't have to register. (I don't know why; that's close to word for word what Stark, or somebody, told him.)

- Le Messor
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Ratliffe