Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Avengers #17 -- *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    But it's NOT happeneing

LOL

Ben
    I said a BOOK wasn't happening, which it's not. And a lot of people are assuming it will.

A brief appearance in Civil War does not a renewed Alpha Flight make.

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Not necessarily, but for the team to appear in Marvel's highest profile projects certainly can't hurt the cause.

I'm not advocating that Marvel rush out a book to appease us die hards if the market can't and won't support it, but if they want to get to the point some day where there is a new book they're going to need to go through the awareness-building that projects like New Avengers and Civil War can provide.

*bookmarks this thread to come back to 8 or so months down the line*

I said a BOOK wasn't happening, which it's not. And a lot of people are assuming it will.

True, that does not make a renewed Alpha, however if you look at all the qote lately, and her are a pile of them, there is really only one person saying "nay" and now his most recent most says "maybe, I don't wanna talk about it" You must admit, there is room for many fanst to have hope, no?

JoeQ: Well as you know, Alpha Flight had a little bit of trouble in the most recent issue of New Avengers. Heck, I hear that the entire nation of Canada has declared war on Brian Bendis. Anyway, Just so Alpha flight folk don’t spend the entire weekend bummed out, don’t worry too much because there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team. I think when it all comes to fruition; all our Marvel faithful north of the border are going to be thrilled.

Mark Millar: I just love the Alpha Flight stuff I'm reading too and plan to end MCW with the possibility of a very good, very high profile Alpha Flight book spinning out of the series. These are great characters and it's a great concept and I want it to be treated seriously or not at all. It's in Marvel's hands what happens after MCW, but they're very keen to bring back some of the old school magic we've been missing for a while and AF is right there on my list with several other characters.

JoeQ: How about if I tell you that Mark Millar will be writing Alpha Flight? Now I don’t know if that’s true or not but I think Mark may have stated that on his website this week or something. If he isn’t then perhaps enough fans can write to him and have him finally agree to write the book he was born to do.

Bendis: if they're not dead and the stage is set for a major relaunch that returns them to thier former glory as a premiere team book by an a list creative team after the underwhelming last series...

hmmm...

JoeQ: Well, there’s definitely a 100% chance that it will or it won’t happen. You’re a sneaky guy, Scratchy, you almost got that info out of me. Some good stuff is planned during and after Civil War, many old faves and even some new stuff, but you’re going to have to watch it unfold little by little and it’s way too soon, even for Joe Fridays to discuss the end of 2006 and the beginning of 2007

"Joe also spoke to the rumored Alpha Flight series by Mark Millar, saying that after “Civil War” there are many “macro plans that he mapped out.” “If there is an Alpha Flight, and I'm not saying there is,” Quesada said, “Mark Millar would probably be involved."

JoeQ: It's too early to report anything concrete so I would rather hold off until I have hints to give that are based on more than just some ideas that are circulating among offices here at Marvel. Stand by.

Mike Marts: The recent deaths weren’t editorially mandated…they more or less corresponded to the needs of the stories and the characters involved in those stories. Also—please know that all of Alpha Flight haven’t actually died.

TomB:I think you're reading into Joe's statements what you want to read into them, Scratchy. Nowhere has he said that there's going to be a new ALPHA FLIGHT series--he just said that Alpha fans will be thrilled. Not the same thing.

TomB: We have no plans for an ALPHA FLIGHT series at the moment. We have no plans for AVENGERS NORTH.
    And, you know, I always adore being called either a liar or an idiot.

TomB: Again, you're taking general numbers here and making them specific and concrete in your mind. Which is dangerous. In any event, neither ALPHA FLIGHT nor any derivation of ALPHA FLIGHT is presently one of them.

Read my lips: no new ALPHA FLIGHT book planned at this time.

TomB: A wait and see. At no point in that issue (or in #17 for that matter) does anybody say that they're dead.

TomB: I think if you change all the reference in your post from "Alpha Flight readers" to "Scratchy", what you're saying holds water. You're clearly hoping for a new ALPHA FLIGHT series, and are getting so excited about the possibility that you're taking it as a given, as fact, and reporting it as such--and then getting upset when I tell you that there is no ALPHA FLIGHT book being planned at this moment.

TomB: That's because you want the answer to all your questions now, and we're not prepared to give it to you now. Have patience.

Bendis: First off, I do not hate Canadians. In fact, I'm married to a Canadian. So I am truly sorry for shocking the Alpha Flight fans. But fear not, my northern brothers, it seems that, all said and done, their defeat in NEW AVENGERS #16 was only a bit of deck clearing for the super Canucks. Alpha Flight is heading towards a major revamp courtesy of Mark Millar's CIVIL WAR extravaganza. Canada is going to be knee-deep in super heroes before you know it. So sit tight and stop defacing pictures of me in Wizard.
    I know I'm missing a few, but you get the point. There is JoeQ dangling maybes, Mark Millar and Bendis doing much the same, and TomB saying "not gonna happen" then less than a week after he last says that, he answers to Varo's question about all the mixed messages "well there is stuff that I just can't talk about right now"

Ben

Exactly. The Bendis and Millar comments point very specifically to an Alpha Flight revamp and potential relaunch, not just rumours that come from fan talk. No wonder I still have hope. Put it all together like Ben did, and you see that Alpha Flight is on their minds and they are talking/answering from positions of knowledge, not lying to avoid blame/attention.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I think that AF will be around in some form, with or without their own title.

I'm jsut concerned about Bendis' 'deck clearing' comment. Makes me think that the AF carnage in NA #16 is permenant.

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez

I'm jsut concerned about Bendis' 'deck clearing' comment. Makes me think that the AF carnage in NA #16 is permenant.
    Even if it means clearing off the alternate past dupicates making room for the originals to return?

Mike Marts: The recent deaths weren’t editorially mandated…they more or less corresponded to the needs of the stories and the characters involved in those stories. Also—please know that all of Alpha Flight haven’t actually died.
    So not ALL have died, meaning....what, Sasquatch MML and Zuzha survived? Time displaced Alphans didn't, dang, what a shame that would be.

Ben

[quote="Adam"]

Nothing confirmed, but Miller has stated that his use of Alpha is coordinated with what Bendis is doing
    Where did he state that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by mreeez

Even if it means clearing off the alternate past dupicates making room for the originals to return?

So not ALL have died, meaning....what, Sasquatch MML and Zuzha survived? Time displaced Alphans didn't, dang, what a shame that would be.

Ben
    Uh Ben...How can we know that they aren't/weren't THE Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman and Puck? There wasn't any indication(that I saw) that they were the temporal duplicates.

Some thoughts...

If they are the temporal duplicates...
    Why would a temporal dupe Heather put on a suit exactly like the one the real Heather currently wears(when she was basically a wife/homemaker/secretary at that point in her life)?

I was truly hoping that Marvel would ignore the whole Vol. 3 Alpha-doppleganger bit OR say that they eventually vanished, when they weren't needed any longer. Again...If they are the temporal duplicates...and Guardian has been killed again....I will truly be disgusted with Marvel. Enough already, with this Mac is dead and then he's not stuff. It's become one of the biggest on-going problems of AF(it's own dreadful, pet running gag).

Okay....I didn't mean for that to turn into a rant...sorry.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Well, if it makes anyone feel any better, they're still not listed under the 'deceased' page at Marvel. But then again, Hawkeye and Thor (and Phoenix) are still listed as deceased, so how reliable that is remains to be seen.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Dana, I know nothing of the kind, just one of many suppositions is all

Ben

again, as i stated in another post, after pestering tom b all his answers seem to be along the lines of "not at this time" "at this moment" "currently" and finally being told to just be patient as nothing is ready to be announced.

i am cautiously optimistic.

It would make very little sense for the Alpha Flight in New Avengers to be the time-displaced versions. If only because the Heather Hudson that was brought from the past wasn't Vindicator.

It would make very little sense for the Alpha Flight in New Avengers to be the time-displaced versions. If only because the Heather Hudson that was brought from the past wasn't Vindicator.
    Very true, unfortunatley, AF apperances in other books have often veared from the character's true abilities. The 2 issue Wolverine apperance, where they recovered Snowbird for instance was RIDDLED with inconsistanceies. Mac's clone doing an EM burst while wearing nothing but his undies, Snowbird's corpse regenerating it's self, but Walter was really walking around in it still. Anyway, I was simply saying it was a possibility, not a fact I'm just eager to see the time-displaced AF go away.

Ben

Well let's assume these were the time-displaced versions.

If the past selves of the current Alpha Flight were killed, wouldn't the current Alpha Flight cease to exist?