Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your other favorite unsung teams...

Default Your other favorite unsung teams...

Okay, Alpha Flight, much as we love it, isn't quite a "flagship" team like the Avengers, Fantastic Four, or X-Men.

And they're not the only awesome team that exists below the radar...

My personal favorite?

Freedom Force.

Yep.

Mystique's "get out of jail free card" for her Brotherhood was one of my favorite developments in marvel's history.

They got enough page space that characters like Blob, Pyro, and Avalanche got to display some depth of personality, and then the addition of oddball characters like Super Sabre, Stonewall, and Crimson Commando later on gave the group a few tweaks.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Well, I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as flagship... but Excalibur was always fun for me, and I wouldn't label it as flagship only because its initial run (and current for that matter) have admittedly been made up of "has been" characters who want to continue to see the light of day (much like the Surreal Life ). Another such remnant team that I've enjoyed recently has been X-Factor... but because both are 'X' teams, I guess they'd still be considered central teams... but under that qualification I guess everything could be... early New Mutants was fun, as was early Gen X, got a soft spot for kids... non-Marvel have now developed a soft spot for the Freedom Fighters... and of course the Runaways team. I know there are more obscure groups that I'm fond of, but the very fact that they are obscure makes them somewhat harder to remember.

Edit: WOW! Totally got this and another thread mixed up. Imagine the look on my face when I realized that one... good thing my mistake occurred so late at night!
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Let's see. I definitely enjoyed Power Pack. Loved how they dealt getting "stuck" with the cloud power, hiding the truth from their parents, etc. Plus you didn't get the tons of angst most Marvel titles throw at you.

West Coast Avengers was a favorite of mine also. A bunch of second rate heroes strapping it on and fighting evil. Sure they had some A-listers, but they also had some B and C players. Spider-Woman II, Tigra, Living Lightning, all great fun to read about. And with Hawkeye leading the group you couldn't lose.

And just for comedic value, I loved the Lightning Bolts/Great Lakes Avengers!

New Warriors (Original)
    "Life is not about having the right answers. Life is about having the right questions" - QM

The Wanderers, a (gasp!) DC Comics team. As I've said here before, they were to the Legion of Super Heroes what Alpha is to the X-Men.

Soviet Super Soldiers.

I also always like the UFOes ... villians though they were. Did they ever get around to duking it out with the FF?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestionMan
    New Warriors (Original)
    I'm with you. Plus had a thing for The Clandestine.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I still love original versions of power pack and new warriors. i was a defenders fan also.

to ,y knowledge, the u-foes still have not fought the FF
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Micronauts. Anyone here ever read the Bug One-Shot? He reminds me of Spider-Man, but his jokes are funnier...

Generation X, 'till they broke up and the writers killed off Skin , He was a great character, what a waste.

X-Factor, but only Kyle and Shard, I hate Mystique and despise Sabretooth with all of my heart, I don't really feel much either way for Polaris or Forge for some reason...
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

Generation X, 'till they broke up and the writers killed off Skin , He was a great character, what a waste.
    Oh my goodness gracious me yes. I thought Generation X was one of the best titles, I've managed to recollect much of the series though my collection is nowhere near complete at this point. They were a group of really interesting characters... I wish they had stuck around for longer, they're pretty much an earlier incarnation of alot of stuff we seem to be seeing now... and it also seems like that a mark of shame has been placed upon most of the members of Gen X... Banshee dying without anyone caring... Skin dying so unimportantly... really, I actually didn't realize he was actually dead until the end of the issue when I had to flip back and go "Wait, did they just kill Skin?" I was so incredibly depressed. I still feel that his death was pointless and purposeless... it did absolutely nothing for me. Lets hope the other survivors of Gen X do better in the long run of things.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Few titles ever catch my eye besides AF, even A-listers. Never liked Avengers, for instance.

Maybe Teen Titans, last year when they had Superboy in it, that I liked.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I remember really enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy back when that series was running. Now I can't even remember any of the characters names though. I guess it didn't make as lasting an impression as I thought.

I always liked the Guardians of the Galaxy myself, and can even remember some of the team:

Yondu: my favorite -- a blue bowhunter with a Mohawk hairstyle
    Martinex: my other favorite -- a crystal guy from Pluto, (I think)
    Charlie-27: heavy-set guy from Jupiter ( )
    Nikki: fire-girl from Mercury
    Vance Astrovik: the Earthborn astronaut who couldn't remove his tin-foil covering for fear of falling into dust, (or something like that).

This may not be the entire cast, but they're the ones I remember best!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Dave Cockrum appreciation day

The Imperial Guard (Dave Cockrum's original group the most, but I like John Byrne's additions to the team) and The Futurians (though in small doses).

Cockrum pencils and inks are some of my absolute favorite illustrations, with X-MEN# 100 being my all-time favorite. I like his Legion of Super-Heroes, especially that big 80-page spectacular which had the members' mini-bios.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I really enjoyed Byrne's run on the West Coast Avengers. Wonder Man, Hawkeye, hell even Tigra and the original Human Torch made that book a fun read.

The New Warriors in the first 25 issues of vol 1 were another favorite.

But my favorite would have to be G.I. Joe. Although never put into the Marvel U. I collected that book like it was going out of style.