Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Byrne Draws AF Again...

Heh, yah I saw that. What really pissed him off was when someone took two of his pieces and combined them into one, but he seems to have a hate-on for meer mortals colouring his art. If he had such a huge problem with it, then why does he allow that thread on his board to begin with?

Ben

I think there is a certain code of conduct when colouring his work. It has to go in the right thread or somthing, but it's the way he responds to infringements of the rules of his forum that irk me. He'd get a lot more respect if he didn't talk to people who infringed the rules like they were errant schoolkids who needed chastising. Tact and diplomacy don't cost nothing. He wouldn't be ridiculed as much amongst the comics fraternity if he tempered his egocentric responses.

Just my uninformed opinion
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I can understand why he'd be annoyed at people chopping up the piece and posting that, but wtf is wrong with people coloring the work? Last time I checked most comics are in color...so is JB just that big a control freak or what. Granted since it's a commissioned piece that may have something to do with it, but I don't really understand either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Hey Ben, looks like you may have pissed off the great man. Prolly wishes he could write, draw, ink, colour and letter anything he does to prevent lesser mortals sullying his greatness

But the great man has one fatal flaw in his plan. He's colour blind and can't colour unless it says what colour it is on the bottom of his crayola.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
    But the great man has one fatal flaw in his plan. He's colour blind and can't colour unless it says what colour it is on the bottom of his crayola.
    He has been red/green color blind but wrote about a pair of yellow-tined sun glasses which seem to have helped him with that. They belonged to another comic artist I think. Can't remember the details. Still, he doesn't care for his own color work.

The thing about these commissions is that they were not done intended for color and I think that's a bit of his irritation. I like the color versions and am glad that topic is allowed to exist.

Ben, You did a great job coloring the commission piece.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I think it's just sad that Byrne talks to the fans in such a manner. It's our money that puts a roof over his ass.

$2-3,000 for a commision? Byrne, if your reading this, you must be out of your (profanity) mind to think your art is worth that much. I grew up loving your artwork but I'll be damned if I drop one cent on it now considering the way you address the folks who simply wanted to try their hand at coloring one of your original works.

Your not god, your art has been eclipsed by many other artists in the industry, and your bitter. Get off your false throne, lighten the F up, and try, try and be a f*cking human being once in awhile.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default is evil inevitable?

Wow. And I thought I had a serious mad-on because of the original "Dark Phoenix" travesty.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: is evil inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Wow. And I thought I had a serious mad-on because of the original "Dark Phoenix" travesty.
    Now your just opening old wounds.

I should take that rant over to his boards but I know for a fact he will be directed here at some point to read it.

If you take the rant over there, let us know how it goes. I can't see the thread lasting long, but meh...

I should also add for everyone, let's not turn this into a bashing thread, Alpha Waves has always been creator friendly, regardless of attitudes expressed elsewhere, we want this to remain a place that many creators feel comfortable visiting and posting on.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    If you take the rant over there, let us know how it goes. I can't see the thread lasting long, but meh...

I should also add for everyone, let's not turn this into a bashing thread, Alpha Waves has always been creator friendly, regardless of attitudes expressed elsewhere, we want this to remain a place that many creators feel comfortable visiting and posting on.

Ben
    I know what ya saying Ben and I agree wholeheartedly, but seriously I gotta agree with PWalks sentiments.

The man puts his views on public display giving it all the 'Billy Big Bollacks' and portraying himself as the only true 'Comics Messiah'. I suppose it adds to the Mythos that is Byrne, but it really does get irritating when as a 'reasonably intelligent person' who won't buy into the hype, you get labeled or run out of town by his cyber posse.

In this day and age where you can do almost anything on the net, there must be a way to gimmick a page so only members can view the forum. Click the toggle that stops the forum being public domain.

IMO, it's a bit churlish to shout 'LOOK AT ME, I'M OVER HERE' and then bleat like an unpaid whore cos we do.

Just an opinion
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    In this day and age where you can do almost anything on the net, there must be a way to gimmick a page so only members can view the forum. Click the toggle that stops the forum being public domain.
    Dead easy to do, infact you can even make certain sections members only, and certain section public, so you don't have to make the whole forum members only, just certain sections.

Ben

Kinda makes you wonder why he doesn't do it
    Del

I suppose it adds to the Mythos that is Byrne, but it really does get irritating when as a 'reasonably intelligent person' who won't buy into the hype, you get labeled or run out of town by his cyber posse.
    Cyber posse! Haha... I'd join that crew... I just have this great image in mind... I think we can all pretty much picture it... Byrne nerd fanatics in black leather on motorcycles, spinning chains and slapping bats in their hands, popping knuckles...

Kinda makes you wonder why he doesn't do it
    TNT. We know drama.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Quote Originally Posted by SasqFan
    The thing about these commissions is that they were not done intended for color and I think that's a bit of his irritation. I like the color versions and am glad that topic is allowed to exist.
    That's pretty much the thing...Byrne doesn't like it, but does allow the topic to exist on his forum. That's pretty decent, IMO.

Most of us, I think, do have friends who make a living through their creative talents. A lot of mine are artists and they do tend to get very touchy about people messing with their work...recolors, resizing, LJ icons, using pieces as RPG character portraits, that kind of thing. I consider it normal for creative folk to be protective of their work, and to not be overly pleased about having to do it. If I'm following this right, Byrne showed up in specific response to a pair of substantially altered pieces; he didn't try to forbid anyone from coloring anything, he just made it clear that he doesn't like it. I don't think that his growlish tone was necessary and I don't agree with a lot of what the man says, but for my money, this was pretty mild. (And I mean that as mild in general, not mild for Byrne.) Of course, I also hang around Fandom Wank and got to see the huge Anne Rice splooge, so most things look pretty mild after that.

I don't really think that the price tag for his art is out of bounds either; I get the impression that the pieces he's doing are a lot larger than 8x11 portraits. That's a lot of time and a lot of ink, not to mention that the majority of commissioned works involve a lot of back-and-forth communication, are a general pain, and just don't look very appealing when you've got regular work in front of you.

Suzene