Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK, I know it's late

Well, there are a few key differences with She-Hulk vs. Heroes For Hire... Heroes' last run was back in 97, a little bit of a while back... She-Hulk was just a 'season' renewal, as was the case with Runaways with others... different perspective... She-Hulk, both volumes, have actually sold out at my comic shop... and despite the somehow poor general sales, She-Hulk has gained alot of fans. Heroes for Hire... that was a different kind of tank from what I understand (course my understanding is amateurish, so I can't call any of my words truth... also, they majorly altered the foundation of Heroes, with the cast of it and all, whereas She-Hulk is still at least She-Hulk... and while we're at it, if titles like She-Hulk and Heroes for Hire have no chance for a comeback after a tank... who else does that mean has absolutely no hope for a new volume? I think that Joe Q and company believe that as a result of New Avengers, the appeal might be a little bit higher, a better market for those characters than 97. And with the way certain characters have been building in importance, it was almost inevitable. Like I said elsewhere, I'll buy the first few issues, but that is it.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    has anyone read the Young Avengers books (consistently) and if so, are they indeed so good? I only picked up and off-hand issue or two... Runaways I pick up regularly, but I even missed the introduction of the Young Avengers entirely...
    Yes, and yes. Especially if you like Runaways.
    I never had interest in YA, and never ordered it, but the considerate people where I buy NA just put it in my order. I thought, okay, I'll bite, just this once. I never took it off. It really is good. Well-written, well-drawn (imho, of course), if you like that sort of thing.
    (I like the artwork better than Runaways, but like the Runaways writing better.)

It's also got an openly gay couple in it, which I think will be a draw card to a lot of people here. And, unlike other titles, the gay people didn't shoot off to space / fairy land as soon as they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    Heroes for Hire?! Didn't the title sorta tank the last time they ran it?
    Meanwhile, on the Heroes for Hire board:
    'Alpha Flight?! Didn't the title sorta tank the last time they ran it?'

- Le Messor
    "It's so sad. Her mom and dad found her hanging from a tree limb, her insides on the outside."
    - Tatum

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    You are sooooooooooo mean Mik. But I got to admit, you said it better than I would have! I totally agree.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I read a wiki-type sum-up of the series... in order to know what is going on, would I have to go back and get all the other issues or would you say that it is probably a 'jump-on'able series?

Meanwhile, on the Alpha Flight board:
    '...wait, wait... there is a Heroes for Hire board? How did that happen?'

But yeah, I do agree with your point, as illustrated in my previous post's "if titles like She-Hulk and Heroes for Hire have no chance for a comeback after a tank... who else does that mean has absolutely no hope for a new volume?" Just included that to show that I'm just trying to be funny, not purely sarcastic.

cryptic as ever.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by varo
    as a huge alpha flight fan, will i be happy with what the future holds for this team?

Remains to be seen. But hopefully.

Tom B

At least it wasn't 'no' or 'how should I know?'

Hope is not as vague from Marvel as what they usually say
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Yeah, never mind that HFH has always been presented as a truly B-list team.

All I'm saying is that I can't think of anyone I know, anyone at all, who remembers HFH fondly.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Images

I read a wiki-type sum-up of the series... in order to know what is going on, would I have to go back and get all the other issues or would you say that it is probably a 'jump-on'able series?
    Allow me to answer that with a head-butt.

Meanwhile, having read from the start, I can't answer for sure. But if I had to guess, and I do, I'd say 'no'. I think there's far too much character development and flow... Iron Lad alone...
    BUT...

The series is drawing to a sort-of close soon, Ă* lĂ* Runaways (more a Summer hiatus). I'd recommend picking up the collected edition when it comes out--and it will, I'm sure.
    Of course, it may be "affordably priced". Which is CSN's way of saying Qu'ils mangent brioche. or, let them eat cake.

All I'm saying is that I can't think of anyone I know, anyone at all, who remembers HFH fondly.
    Maybe not, but you don't spend a lot of time on that H4H board I just made up, do you? Every team is somebody's favourite.
    Mean as I was, Sylvie, the point is, in a lot of people's eyes, people who aren't us, but are, apparently, TPTB (among others, I'm sure), there's not a lot of difference there.

The fact that both H4H series have included the same frickin' characters (Power Man and Iron Fist, unless I'm mistaken?) and AF hasn't, doesn't register in Marve's collective wisdom.

- Le Messor
    Stu: As if.
    Randy: Oh, really, Alicia?

Eheh, I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that...

I'd recommend picking up the collected edition when it comes out--and it will, I'm sure.
    Good stuff, I'll check it out.

Maybe not, but you don't spend a lot of time on that H4H board I just made up, do you?
    Haha, actually the moment that you posted it, I checked up to see if there was such a thing and of course there was, but even given the recent news and Cage's consistent appearance in New Avengers, there have been like no posts whatsoever... at least we have constant active membership...

Images

Eheh, I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that...
    You should've thought of that before I was me.

I'd recommend picking up the collected edition when it comes out--and it will, I'm sure.
    Good stuff, I'll check it out.
    ... There's also the possibility that you'll find it derivative; YA and Runaways cover a lot of the same ground, disturbingly close at times, but I think it's created its own world and style, enough to keep it from being a rehash. I don't even use hash. Maybe hashbrowns. Those're good.

- Le Messor
    "A Slayer, huh? I knew this 'I'm the only one, I'm the only one' thing was just an attention-getter."
    - Xander

... There's also the possibility that you'll find it derivative; YA and Runaways cover a lot of the same ground, disturbingly close at times, but I think it's created its own world and style, enough to keep it from being a rehash. I don't even use hash. Maybe hashbrowns. Those're good.
    Well, I'm down for that (the hashbrowns and the rehash). Alot of the stories that I've been getting right now have all pretty much been exactly the same anyways, but I still enjoy them about equal... really funny was the time not too long ago when I had 6 issues, in 3 pairs, in which each of the pairs exhibited similar traits to the other almost down to the letter (for an example that I know at least some others out there are aware of, the remarkably similar 'shocking conclusions' of X-Factor 1 and Son of M 1... read those two right in a row and boy was that effect ruined...) But especially since I'll get to take a full story on without any cliffhangers or delays, it should be a good read... I'm going to take a walk to the local store today and hope that they have it.

Images

I'm going to take a walk to the local store today and hope that they have it. (The Young Avengers collected edition.)
    They won't. I don't think it exists yet. The series just got to #11, and I think the break'll start at 12 (I don't know where I get that from); there shouldn't be a collection before then.

- Le Messor
    Dad, if you threw a snowball at someone, but deliberately missed, would that be "bad"?
    Dad: Well, I suppose that would be provoking, so yes, it would be a little bad.
    Calvin: As bad as if you'd hit the person?
    Dad: No, not that bad, but worse than if you hadn't thrown it at all.
    Calvin: Suppose you just grazed the person. How bad would that be? Say maybe you knocked off his hat and his glasses or something.
    Dad: That would mean instant death.

Images

I'm going to take a walk to the local store today and hope that they have it. (The Young Avengers collected edition.)
    They won't. I don't think it exists yet. The series just got to #11, and I think the break'll start at 12 (I don't know where I get that from); there shouldn't be a collection before then.

- Le Messor
    Dad, if you threw a snowball at someone, but deliberately missed, would that be "bad"?
    Dad: Well, I suppose that would be provoking, so yes, it would be a little bad.
    Calvin: As bad as if you'd hit the person?
    Dad: No, not that bad, but worse than if you hadn't thrown it at all.
    Calvin: Suppose you just grazed the person. How bad would that be? Say maybe you knocked off his hat and his glasses or something.
    Dad: That would mean instant death.

They didn't when I went (but the one near here most probably wouldn't have it anyawys)... nevertheless, I checked online a few days ago, and either it was released like in the last week or will be released in the next few weeks... can't remember... but all that matters is it is on the list. I actually heard from another reliable source that it was good too so it is now pretty much sealed that I'll shell the cash to check it out.

EDIT: Yeah, now I've checked it out... Vol 1. TPB Sidekicks is available.