Thread: Buy the rights to Alpha Flight?

Default Buy the rights to Alpha Flight?

Call me crazy, but has anyone ever investigated purchasing the rights to the name and characters for Alpha Flight. Pie in the sky maybe, but the comic has been retired from some time.

Imagine an organized group of fans that could spin this fantastic heritage into a living breathing comic again. Sure pay Marvel some rights, but Canada is dying for its own comic heroes again.

Just a thought.

~krispy

heh, welcome to the boards Krispy, and I just love it when people mirror my own thoughts. One problem with that is that getting the licence for something that has a direct tie to Marvel's biggest guns would cost an arm, a leg and half your internal organs.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I'll donate a kidney to the cause.

And welcome to Alpha Waves Krispy! Make yerself at home in the cupboard, don't mind the vats of body parts, we're taking up a collection.

Ben

Anyone else wanna volunteer a liver? I know I don't use mine as much as I could...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I'd love to donate my liver and kidneys but I need them for my alcohol comsumption. \/

MM

Oh sweet Rye! I'll donate my pancreas, it's really no good to me
    Rockin' Roll Martian!!!

If I won the Powerball lottery last month one thing I planned to do was offer Marvel $$$$ to put out a new AF book. I'd personally buy 50k issues to keep the sales figures up so long as they had a good creative team working on it.

I'll donate some nose hair and a couple of elbow scabs...

While not quite as profitable, I'll sell my hair to wig companies... they'd like that... plus, then I could really go for the Puck look...

But yeah, if I ever won a fortune, I'd buy up so many issues of a new Alpha series to sustain it until judgment day... if only, if only.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I don't know the name of it...

What about moving it to an off-shoot, independent imprint like the one Squadron Supreme is published under, like "WildStorm" or something? Then MARVEL wouldn't have to worry about Alpha Flight screwing up their regular MU cross-overs/"continuity."
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Thanks for the welcome Ben & HappyCanuck!

It is interesting how well the Transformers and GIJoe comics have done since they are deing published by a different company. Those may have not been originally owned by Marvel, but they are seeing life after being pulled from Marvel.

I keep dreaming.