Thread: Ok, this stinks

Default Ok, this stinks

From Marvel Editor Tom Brevoort, at ComiX-Fan, answering Alpha Flight questions:

I think you're reading into Joe's statements what you want to read into them, Scratchy. Nowhere has he said that there's going to be a new ALPHA FLIGHT series--he just said that Alpha fans will be thrilled. Not the same thing.
    So Alpha Flight fans are going to be thrilled by... Northstar making one appearance in X-Men (The roster for Carey's X-Men is known and Northstar isn't on the team, so maybe he's a villain??)? Millar using Alpha Flight a little in Civil War, maybe as a place for mutant Conscientious Objectors to run to? Northstar being a background character again (like Aurora and Diamond Lil are in 198?), like he was in Uncanny X-Men??

We have no plans for an ALPHA FLIGHT series at the moment. We have no plans for AVENGERS NORTH.
    Ah, so Alpha Flight fans are to be 'excited' because Marvel has no plans for Alpha Flight! Now I get it!

Again, you're taking general numbers here and making them specific and concrete in your mind. Which is dangerous. In any event, neither ALPHA FLIGHT nor any derivation of ALPHA FLIGHT is presently one of them.
    One of the new titles. So no new title, or old title, will have anything at all to do with what is known as Alpha Flight, Dept. H, Byrne Flight...

Read my lips: no new ALPHA FLIGHT book planned at this time.
    OK, I think he made that point. No Alpha Flight, no book using Alpha Flight, no book with characters who appeared in Alpha Flight, no book with any ties to anyone from Alpha Flight. Got it.

And, you know, I always adore being called either a liar or an idiot.
    Funny. I read a few pages of posts and never read where anyone mentioned Alpha Flight and called Tom a liar or stupid. Scratchy wondered if the Joe Q. quote about "our fans north of the border will be thrilled" was the truth, that there really are plans for Alpha Flight.

JQ - Well as you know, Alpha Flight had a little bit of trouble in the most recent issue of New Avengers. Heck, I hear that the entire nation of Canada has declared war on Brian Bendis. Anyway, Just so Alpha flight folk don’t spend the entire weekend bummed out, don’t worry too much because there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team. I think when it all comes to fruition; all our Marvel faithful north of the border are going to be thrilled.

Tom either missed the point of the topic or has no clue what Joe Q. was talking about.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Okay, considering JQ generally has no clue what he's talking about, I can't really blame Brevoort for his problems here...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Q
    JQ: How about if I tell you that Mark Millar will be writing Alpha Flight? Now I don’t know if that’s true or not but I think Mark may have stated that on his website this week or something. If he isn’t then perhaps enough fans can write to him and have him finally agree to write the book he was born to do.

mokole i hope you don't mind but i borrowed some quotes and pasted them over at bendis's boards.

i mean, how can we as alpha fans not be "thrilled" after reading this.

i'm bak on the "kill bendis and quesada" bandwagon.

Oh, no problem varo. If I remember correctly Scratchy doesn't really care how far his own comments go, either, or he'd complain that we use his stuff here on occasion. He used to live in Quebec but has since moved, so I can't ask him directly anymore. Last I talked to him on the 'net was 3 years ago, then he moved. Glad to see he's still kicking.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

So Bendis says that if Alpha was to be written by a top notch team etc, Quesada says fans north of the border will have somthing to be happy about, Millar says he will be setting Alpha up for a possible return, Breevort says he knows **** all. Oh well, I'm non the wiser, should be a piece of piss getting a job at Marvel then. Pre-requisite seems to be not having a sodding clue what the left hands doing. I can do that.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Not to be a pain, but I want to say, I told you so :P

I said that in the millar writing AF subject:
    Are we sure and certain AF is going to gave an ungoing serie? Maybe it's something else, a mini-serie maybe, maybe something else, no?
    Yes, they are probably playing with us. Just that AF will be kept alive is maybe the only stuff or only that they are playing with the characters. I don't know, at least they are not forgotten.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    i'm bak on the "kill bendis and quesada" bandwagon.
    Nice to see maturity is alive and well on the boards....

sorry phil, i would have used the sarcasm emoticon, but i didn't see one.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default No ALPHA FLIGHT? Nobody wants to do it?

Because of the disregard for the team and the fans of the team, I think it would be a good idea for Alpha Flight to get some new blood---creatively and editorially. Some folks who aren't connected with TPTB currently in charge, but who know their way around the business.

I think the current A-listers know that taking on Alpha Flight is a dubious career move at best, therefore a good up-and-coming talent that's done a few published stories might be a way to go.

And MARVEL should include some of the fans' work, too.

Still like Christopher Long/Eric Stephenson as co-plotters/writers, Califore as artist, and Peter Sanderson as editor. They seem to understand Alpha Flight characters.

I think both MARVEL and Byrne both would be disappointed if a new book doesn't reach (or come close to) the hey-day of his previous run.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Ok, this stinks

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    JQ - Well as you know, Alpha Flight had a little bit of trouble in the most recent issue of New Avengers. Heck, I hear that the entire nation of Canada has declared war on Brian Bendis. Anyway, Just so Alpha flight folk don’t spend the entire weekend bummed out, don’t worry too much because there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team. I think when it all comes to fruition; all our Marvel faithful north of the border are going to be thrilled.
    Maybe it'll be a one-shot funeral issue.

I just think they aren't on the same page. Implying that Northstar alone represents the future of the team I think is a flawed statement, given that Quesada's statement said team, not individual member. I don't think that its 'in the works to be published soon', but I still think that there is a potential new book in the future. I'm going to hold out hope.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...