Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaman Spells

Default Re: Shaman Spells

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Did they name the staff that can grow the powerful vines or not? I don't remember
    I don't remember that in the comics?
    If it's just in the cartoon, no.

- Le Messor
    "Economics is called the dismal science, but that’s just because most economists are dismal scientists."
    It happened in the infamous issue #12 from V1.

The staff is called: The Great Key and it's main use is to open the gateway to the Great Beasts' dimension.

Here's a link to the Marvel RPG page for Shaman:

http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast/shaman.htm

When did they state it was called the Great Key? and when has it been shown to do other things?

The Great Key and the vine staff are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    When did they state it was called the Great Key? and when has it been shown to do other things?
    Now that I'm looking at the issue (V1 #24) with the Great Key I can see now it isn't the same staff. However, in V1 #35 Shaman does the vine trick again against some viking skeletons sent to test him, but with a different, third staff.

Great Key opening dimensional barrier:

Third staff creating vines:

Yeah I have those scans, I have to reread all the stuff he did when he became Shaman once again.

Updates made....
    =====
    I think I'm almost done.

Updates made, I think I got everything or did I miss something??

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaman_%28comics%29

Actually I think the third staff didnt really create vines, he just used it to call the spirit of growing things. In this incarnation, he no longer has to use magical objects and incantations, he just talks directly to the spirits and asks them for help.

So the first staff is the only magical object that actually creates the growing vines.

Does anyone know exactly what the status of Shaman's powers?

Initially he could only perform magic with the medicine pouch.
    After he regained his confidence, he no longer needed the pouch, instead he communicated to the spirits directly with his intermediary, (familiar?) Eaglet.
    The there was the whole Talisman thing.
    Now we see him using the pouch again, so what happened?

I actually liked the idea that he could perform magic without the pouch, because as it stood, all you had to do to neutralize Shaman was to take the pouch away.

But, the whole talking to spirits thing seemed to take more time because he had to convince the spirits to help him, whereas with the pouch all he had to do was pull things out and use them.

Did he get tired of talking to the capricious spirits and decided to go back to the more straightforward medicine pouch magic?

Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo
    Actually I think the third staff didnt really create vines, he just used it to call the spirit of growing things. In this incarnation, he no longer has to use magical objects and incantations, he just talks directly to the spirits and asks them for help.

So the first staff is the only magical object that actually creates the growing vines.
    I know, I commented on that

Spirit Staff: This object was given to him by Talisman, the Binder of Spirits for completing his spirtual quest in becoming Shaman again. With this staff, Shaman can call forth the Spirits of the world, unlike Talisman he can't command them like his daughter. He must implore them to help him. This object is a sacred relic, worn by generations of Shaman's-which were long ago stolen from his sacree ancestors by Viking invaders. Shaman avenged his ancestors by battling an undead army of Vikings summoned by Talisman to test his worth. By winning he was allowed to keep this object. In the battle with the Vikings he called upon the Spirit of the Northwind, which was strong enough to blow apart the Viking cairn that stood for centuries instantly. He also called forth the Spirit of Growing Thinga and tapping the staff on the ground powerful vines grow up trapping the target. He also animated his people stone-men, which were made as markers to show future sacree generations the way. Since to the Sacree, everything that exists--even lifeless stone--is animate, invested with a spirit force that can be called upon to give aid. There really wasn't any limit Shaman couldn't call upon, even the Spirit of Time and Space as well as the Wind Spirit and various other ones.