Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Ultimate take on Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    it's obvious I know nothng about french canadian culture but I made a few more little changes to Aurora
    Oh don't worry I know next to nothing about franco-ontarians, acadians or any other french canadians outside Québec and even my onw I got problems with. See, I don't have kids and the school system have been reformed lately and well, I don't know what they call the religious program anymore and it's depend if you want Jeanne-Marie to teach elemantary school or secondary school.

This say wnat you need to teach in catholic religion in school:
    http://www.canlii.org/qc/laws/regu/c...115/whole.html

And if you wonder what kind of nutty system we have it's explain here :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%A9bec

Anyway, if I can make a suggestion. Catholic will have enough bad press with the priest beating Jeanne-Marie. I think you should make her a good catholic and see this in a more positive light. And from experience, the best catholics I've seen are the ones that are not yelling about it, but are doing what they preach. They are not ashame of their fate but are more discret about it (sorry If I'm offending some people). So for the story simplicity and not run into "provincial facts" problems, I would make Aurora a primary teacher that teach all the principal subject french, geographie, math, ect.

oh and one last thing it Pierre-Laporte not Pierre-LaPorte bridge and maybe say somewhere that's the bridge is in Quebec city.

I think I'm mixing you up badly
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Anyway, if I can make a suggestion. Catholic will have enough bad press with the priest beating Jeanne-Marie. I think you should make her a good catholic and see this in a more positive light. And from experience, the best catholics I've seen are the ones that are not yelling about it, but are doing what they preach. They are not ashame of their fate but are more discret about it (sorry If I'm offending some people).
    An interesting suggestion that brought Joan of Arc to mind.

I had an interesting exchanging with a Catholic lately -- Catholcism being the religion that history has set up to be the arch-rival of Teutonic belief -- involving the worthiness of such Catholics as Charlemagne, Willibrord and Boniface, any of whom shear honesty would beg a comparison with Hitler and his Nazi's.

Apparently the comparison deeply offended this Catholic, who thought that as a Catholic such deep offense was only proper.

My response to his outrage to to remind him of Alcuin of York, as much a Catholic as any of the aforementioned Saints, and as loyal as can be, but very much against the way Charlemagne and his pack of little missionary scoundrels conducted themselves in the ocnversion of the Continental Germanic peoples.

Another intresting fact is that Teutonic beleif and Catholicism share more in common than, say, Teutonic belief and modern day Wicca, or Catholicism and Protestantism or strictly Biblical Christianity. Oh what a tangled web we weave ...

Anyway, Joan of Arc might make for an interesting parallel once again.

Cheers!

Oh, I'm Catholic, being a universal religionists. We Catholics take lumps quite often for our belief in God, our tendency to forgive when asked to forgive, our belief in sacraments, and the fact that we've been around for a long time, so lots of people can take and twist our beliefs to support their personal evil. Just like Hebrews and Muslims and Hindus and... have had murders and terrorists acclaimed as heroes, which of course makes no sense.

But being Catholic means a lot to me, as it allows me to undersatnd Hebrews and Muslims and Hindus... and pray for a world of peace.

Sorry to be SO off topic, shaman.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Anyway, if I can make a suggestion. Catholic will have enough bad press with the priest beating Jeanne-Marie. I think you should make her a good catholic and see this in a more positive light. And from experience, the best catholics I've seen are the ones that are not yelling about it, but are doing what they preach. They are not ashame of their fate but are more discret about it (sorry If I'm offending some people).
    An interesting suggestion that brought Joan of Arc to mind.

I had an interesting exchanging with a Catholic lately -- Catholcism being the religion that history has set up to be the arch-rival of Teutonic belief -- involving the worthiness of such Catholics as Charlemagne, Willibrord and Boniface, any of whom shear honesty would beg a comparison with Hitler and his Nazi's.

Apparently the comparison deeply offended this Catholic, who thought that as a Catholic such deep offense was only proper.

My response to his outrage to to remind him of Alcuin of York, as much a Catholic as any of the aforementioned Saints, and as loyal as can be, but very much against the way Charlemagne and his pack of little missionary scoundrels conducted themselves in the ocnversion of the Continental Germanic peoples.

Another intresting fact is that Teutonic beleif and Catholicism share more in common than, say, Teutonic belief and modern day Wicca, or Catholicism and Protestantism or strictly Biblical Christianity. Oh what a tangled web we weave ...

Anyway, Joan of Arc might make for an interesting parallel once again.

Cheers!

Sorry Powersurge, I don't understand a thing at what you said here and what is the link to what I said. I know next to nothing with teutonic belief as for Charlemagne, all I knoew of him is that he was a king of France and would have invented school.

if teutonic belief=pagan, ok, so I guess you mean Charlemagne and all the rest as but, in good christian, a christian holiday over an pagan holiday. Yes, common fact. But not what I wanted to say.

I'm talking about today's belief and way of expressing it. I thought a balance would make a nice thing to see how religion can be good or bad. And to show a modern Québec, not the old one lost in clergy oppressive way. Not the american preacher way or the born again christian, just plain old back to basic christianity where it say God is love and love each other.
    I would say a little bit like PAD handle Supergirl's mother faith, that I liked a lot.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

My point was exactly that; that different people can interpret and express essentially the same thing in very different ways .... the passage of time being no exception.

That is what you were talking about, right? I mean the following are your words ........

"I thought a balance would make a nice thing to see how religion can be good or bad. And to show a modern Québec, not the old one lost in clergy oppressive way. Not the american preacher way or the born again christian, just plain old back to basic christianity where it say God is love and love each other. "

Interesting.

wow, I didn't expect character bios for an Ultimate AF would turn to religion. Granted I have no problem with it though, as long as it doesn't become heated. I have to admit I am not to familiar with medeival christianity save for the little bit I had to learn about for art history.

I,m thinking about writing a story dealing with the Great beasts crossing over into our relm, but I wanted to what your thought are of the aspect of cults that worship certian members of the Great Beasts. Like a Group that has members that give up there bodies for the sole purpose of letting Ranaq cross over and inhabit them ( I know he may or may not be destroyed).
    I got this idea while watching this really really really bad movie called "The Final Sacrifice" about a pair of unlikely heros ( a grizzled bum, living out of his truck and some kid that found a map to a hidden civilization up in his attic). The point is the enemy is this psycho that leads an evil cult devoted to this god that they believe will grant them an invincible army after a proper sacrifice. I know, not a good plot but I liked the cult idea