Thread: Northstar flying solo?

Default Northstar flying solo?

Dunno if this has been discussed here or not.

As Wildstorm is doing a solo series with the Midnighter, their resident gay hero, what is the likelyhood of Marvel giving Northstar a solo series in June?

I'm unsure if they would as Joe Q wouldn't do a Rawhide Kid western oneshot unless it was MAX.

What are your thoughts guys?

I think they'd be selling ice-skates in hell first. JQ = very homo-skittish. Not to mention that I just don't think Northstar is a good canidate for a solo book. Hell, Nightcrawler couldn't sell a solo title and he's personable and has a reasonably large following.

Suzene

I think they'd be selling ice-skates in hell first. JQ = very homo-skittish. Not to mention that I just don't think Northstar is a good canidate for a solo book. Hell, Nightcrawler couldn't sell a solo title and he's personable and has a reasonably large following.
    Yeah, that is a great example. Quite frankly I'm not entirely sure how any solo character series that isn't either a miniseries or a brand new character ever quite gets enough support to continue running... the only exception to that rule I can think of is obviously Wolverine, but thats because of the wide range of fanboys and general popularity he has gained over the years. And if I remember, even he has had some very rough spots...

To be honest, if they made a Northstar solo title, I'd have to make some careful decisions on whether or not I would follow it past issue 1 (which I would of course buy, just to at least test it out).
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Marvel normally copy DC though. How come Midnighter is getting the redlight?

If Joey was homophobic then Hulkling and Wiccan in Young Avengers wouldn't be happening.

He's homophobic, but that's not why a Northstar solo book wouldn't fly. It'd just never sell. Joe Q appears to have some questionable attitudes on the subject, but as far as I've seen, it hasn't affected the comics, so I don't really care.

Has Northstar ever had a relationship in MU?

What writer has a good grasp of the character?

Quote Originally Posted by JackFrostUK
    Has Northstar ever had a relationship in MU?

What writer has a good grasp of the character?
    There was an implied hookup with the gay member of the Pantheon in Peter David's Hulk run, at the wedding of Rick Jones. The only relationsip was implied (and in question to some) of the May-December thing between J-P and Raymonde in the Byrne run. "He was friend and father and more" or something like that.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

That Hulk issue was issue #418 published in Jun 1994. My notes on that issue are:

"Northstar appears as a wedding guest in this wedding issue. He is shown in 1 panel on p13 flirting with Hector, another openly homosexual character who is the brother of Prometheus and member of The Pantheon."

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    That Hulk issue was issue #418 published in Jun 1994. My notes on that issue are:

"Northstar appears as a wedding guest in this wedding issue. He is shown in 1 panel on p13 flirting with Hector, another openly homosexual character who is the brother of Prometheus and member of The Pantheon."

Love,
    rplass
    Flirting? From what I remember he was talking to Hector, no flirting involved, unless you count that a gay guy talking to another gay guy=flirting. But I may be wrong since I don't have the issue. And maybe PAD made a joke about both guys been gay and in that effect need to flirt, it would be like him.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I don't think Northstar ever had a relationship that I know of. Okay, he was talking to Hector in the Hulk issue. And I know he had a crush on Iceman in his few X-Men appearances. But I can't think of a single time Jean-Paul was depicted being in a serious romantic relationship with anyone.

On the topic of a solo series, I agree it wouldn't sell. Think of it this way, everyone was up in arms about the death of Hawkeye during "Disassembled", people were calling Bendis every name in the book, but did anyone read his solo series from Fabian a year or so back? It's strange how a character can have a decent following but the following still isn't big enough to keep a solo book going.

Wasn't Fabian just using left over plots from his Nomad series for the Hawkeye solo?

Northstar's status has been answered here:
    http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays40_1.html

“Defunct”: “Hi Joe. Three weeks ago (in Joe Fridays: Week 36, link below) you said, ‘Northstar news will be forthcoming’ and that you ‘may premier another cover here in a week or two’.

”Well it's been a week or two. Or three. Do you have anything to show us?”

JQ: Thanks for reminding me, Defunct! I would look for Northstar to appear in Mike Carey and Chris Bachalo’s X-Men