Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Millar Discusses Alpha Flight Relaunch

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    BTW, PWalk, is that Grasshopper in your avatar?
    Nope, it's actually the design of a buddy of mine. He used it in a flash game on his site. Go ahead and fly my avatar:
    http://www.helfet.com/gameDisplay.php?Game=xbotGame

Can anyone suggest a Millar work to read? I'll be honest and say I haven't read any of his stuff yet.

the Ultimates 2 and he also does Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    BTW, PWalk, is that Grasshopper in your avatar?
    Nope, it's actually the design of a buddy of mine. He used it in a flash game on his site. Go ahead and fly my avatar:
    http://www.helfet.com/gameDisplay.php?Game=xbotGame

Can anyone suggest a Millar work to read? I'll be honest and say I haven't read any of his stuff yet.
    I would recommend his run on the Authority and the early Ultimate X-Men stuff.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Great...Now the writer of the "Ultimates" is going to tackle AF? I'm thrilled.

Seriously, I find it hard to believe Millar has any "old school" in him after reading any of his "Ultimate" books.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I'm pretty sure he explicitly stated he wasn't going to be tackling them.

Even though he isn't going to be doing AF, I think it would great to re-envent them a little so and look to Byrne's run for major elements, that way more people, includeing younger readers can become interested in them and I think it would be kinda cool to be able to look at it from the begining again and say" OOH! I remember that!". But, thats just me.

No more reinventions, please....unless it's in an "Ultimate" book(which I won't buy, anyway). There's been enough of that already in various AF series. Some examples...Mantlo's reinvention of Puck from normal human dwarf to demon-sorcerer possessed shrinky-dink...Mac's multiple deaths and resurrections...I swear he comes back a different person each time(emotionless cyborg/clone-like replicant/Dept H-dumped popcicle/non-cyborg human)...Ick! No thank you.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Millar's a solid writer.

Wonder what new direction Alpha will take. Hopefully they won't become the mutant police force.

Also, Ben, Lying In The Gutters mention your Millar interview here:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

Thanks Jack. I saw that yesterday. As always a link from there makes traffic go crazy. That's 2 weeks in a row Funny because a lot of people just read what was written there and not the whole thing, and now there are people saying on message boards all over that Millar said he's relaunching AF

Ben

Not that I was a fan of Dissassembled, but if Alpha can do the same thing, lesser members dying then go from tragedy to assembling the most powerful / fan favorite members, I'm all for it. Even if it had been Millar.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Great...Now the writer of the "Ultimates" is going to tackle AF? I'm thrilled.

Seriously, I find it hard to believe Millar has any "old school" in him after reading any of his "Ultimate" books.

Dana
    I find his DC stuff more readable. UXM made me cringe oh so many times. Ultimates is okay because I don't know the Avengers all that well. I've declared my undying hatred of him with his recent UF4 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Not that I was a fan of Dissassembled, but if Alpha can do the same thing, lesser members dying then go from tragedy to assembling the most powerful / fan favorite members, I'm all for it. Even if it had been Millar.
    Why kill off former members, especially those who have not been seen forever and are probably keeping a low profile? Seems of a waste of characters to me.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I would like someone to take over the reigns and just forget all about the crap stuff that has happened. For years they've been trying to recreate a new Alpha Flight that Marvel let die when what most people want is to get the old one back, more or less. This Marvel / DC period where they are all killing off characters left and right is dumb...I'm tired of these poor excuses for sensational stories which go no where. Is it really so hard to write good stories again?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGranger
    Is it really so hard to write good stories again?

MrGranger-I ask that question all the time.

First, Ben Great Interview. Second, isn't it funny that after the fiasco that was Volume 3 Marvel is starting to talk about making Alpha Flight a top team book again?

I can't tell everyone how excited I am with this news! Having a creative team taking Alpha seriously for a change with the respect the characters deserve, it's a great time to be an Alpha fan going into 2006.

Yesh! just looked at the various wikipedia links on Alpha Flight [and members] and they all say they are dead.

EDIT: Alright I edited the wikipedia entry for Guardian's powers/abilities...any good?
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardia..._and_abilities