Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Millar Discusses Alpha Flight Relaunch

Default Mark Millar Discusses Alpha Flight Relaunch

I recently had an oportunity to disicuss the buzz around Alpha Flight with Mark Millar. Which him writing Civil War, and having an interest already in Alpha Flight characters, I was curious how he might be involved in future AF events.

AlphaFlight.net: Hello Mark. Because of the news Joe Quesada just gave regarding the possibility of a new Alpha Flight series in the works, I'm curious if you might be involved. I know in your last interview with me you mentioned a possibility of you using the Alpha Flight characters down the road. Otherwise if you aren't connected to it, I'm curious if you've heard any buzz about it in the Marvel grapevine.

Mark Millar: Nice to hear from you again, mate. Yes, I'm really using Marvel Civil War as a means of re-establishing some of the greatest, sadly missing characters from the MU. I'm very old school, despite being only thirty-six, and put this down to reading Marvel UK reprints as a kid instead of the books you guys were reading in the 80s and 90s. Thus, the period I have the biggest affection for really runs from Stan and Jack up to classic John Byrne. I'm reading all the Byrne FFs right now and loving them to pieces. I just love the Alpha Flight stuff I'm reading too and plan to end MCW with the possibility of a very good, very high profile Alpha Flight book spinning out of the series. These are great characters and it's a great concept and I want it to be treated seriously or not at all. It's in Marvel's hands what happens after MCW, but they're very keen to bring back some of the old school magic we've been missing for a while and AF is right there on my list with several other characters.

AlphaFlight.net: Is doing an AF series something that you are hoping to do yourself, or do you just want to set them up to be available for someone else?

Mark Millar: Like all the other things I'm setting up in this book, there's just not enough hours in the day for me to write it myself, Ben. I've been finishing Civil War in my six months off and then, after that, I'm jumping into my new creator-owned books for a while.

AlphaFlight.net: I'm curious if you had anything to do with the events in New Avengers #16?

Mark Millar: No, but me, Brian, JMS and all the other writers have been in touch to make sure we're all marching in the same direction. All these events are very important to Civil War.

Ben

Yes, I'm really using Marvel Civil War as a means of re-establishing some of the greatest, sadly missing characters from the MU. I just love the Alpha Flight stuff I'm reading too and plan to end MCW with the possibility of a very good, very high profile Alpha Flight book spinning out of the series. These are great characters and it's a great concept and I want it to be treated seriously or not at all. It's in Marvel's hands what happens after MCW, but they're very keen to bring back some of the old school magic we've been missing for a while and AF is right there on my list with several other characters.
    So beautiful it makes me cry! Mark Millar is my new hero..."very good, very high profile"... oh it makes my heart leap with joy."treatead seriosuly or not at all"... darn straight (but I'm praying for the seriously one)...

By the way, did you get to ask any other questions regarding civil war or anything like that?
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Wow that's great news, great job Ben.

NA #16 has turned out for the better for AF fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    So beautiful it makes me cry! Mark Millar is my new hero..."very good, very high profile"... oh it makes my heart leap with joy."treatead seriosuly or not at all"... darn straight (but I'm praying for the seriously one)...

By the way, did you get to ask any other questions regarding civil war or anything like that?
    No, I didn't get into too much with him. It was really just a couple emails we traided that he gave me the ok to pass onto the fans. He's crazy busy getting geared into the CW thing, once we see AF's role I may do a more formal Interview with him.

Ben

wow. great work ben.

something tells me the wheels are already rolling on a team for the series.

Thanks Ben, you've given me hope once again! And thank you Mark Millar wherever you are. =D>

'1985' sounds a lot more intriquing after this. Nice going Ben.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

As long as he's not writing it, I think I'll be okay with it...

It's a great read. I'm glad to see a response at least.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I'm glad somebody that high profile likes AF. But I can't stand his writing. It's so sleazy.

I'd love to see Marvel do a serious AF series. As long as it is an AF series, and not just some new bunch of characters I've never heard of and don't care about, with some new concept / style / direction, that happens to be set in Canada and has 'Alpha Flight' on the cover every month.

At some point, I might get sick of saying this.

BTW, PWalk, is that Grasshopper in your avatar?

- Le Messor
    "Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route."

Quote Originally Posted by Spyridona
    As long as he's not writing it, I think I'll be okay with it...
    Seconded.

All I can say is.... ABOUT @&$!%* TIME!!! Marvel gave AF the respect it deserves!

MM

I hope his Alpha Flight use comes off well. It'll be like how Excalibur spun out of HoM I guess, though it didn't really have to (except getting Captain Britain back).

Plus, I figure Psylocke's new surroundings will be Excalibur, maybe they'll drop Dazzler or something.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Oh, Mark Maillar., I NEW there was a reason I liked you. Other than Ultimates, Wolverine, and Ultimate Fantastic Four, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    BTW, PWalk, is that Grasshopper in your avatar?

- Le Messor
    "Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route."
    It looks like the thing on the front of the Dave Matthews Band Album cover, I can't remember which one
    Rockin' Roll Martian!!!