Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: What Alpha Flight goodies do you have?

Could be no worse than trying to buy figures from a comic con. Well the ones I been to anyway. But I will be searching for price quotes. I am also looking for the mini-mates sets.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    Could be no worse than trying to buy figures from a comic con. Well the ones I been to anyway. But I will be searching for price quotes. I am also looking for the mini-mates sets.
    Yes, Cons also tend to hike prices (for everything).

At the end of the day, as with all collectibles, the figures are only worth what you as the purchaser are prepared to pay.

When the figures came out they were $7.99 per two-pack, so that's quite a bit over the original RRP.
    The question is whether you feel the value has increased or decreased.

Looking on eBay I can find each pair for $10-$15 so I'd say $75 is too much, personally.
    However it all depends on if you want to deal with eBay and if you think paying an extra $30 is worth the hassle of not having to buy them individually and the time spent on that + waiting on post etc.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-28-2016 at 06:29 AM.

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

I recently bought Alpha Flight 52 and 113, the latter being one of only a handful of V1 issues I never read before
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    I recently bought Alpha Flight 52 and 113, the latter being one of only a handful of V1 issues I never read before
    Congrats on the purchase!

Nice! Reading a new AF comic for the first time is amazing. Makes me want to go back and read those two individual issues. Congrats on filling in the collection!
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Nice! Reading a new AF comic for the first time is amazing. Makes me want to go back and read those two individual issues. Congrats on filling in the collection!
    I was a little disappointed in 113 how they never mentioned that the Mauler costume first appeared in Daredevil. It was definitely the weaker of the two AF issues Sven Larsen wrote, the other being 109.

It's not vital to the story though, especially in a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It's not vital to the story though, especially in a shared universe.
    Fair enough, but in the issue mauler appeared of DD he died, so I was curious to know this Maulers backstory.
    Last edited by Yankee; 05-04-2016 at 01:34 PM.

10. 05-04-2016

Fair enough, but in the issue mauler appeared of DD he died, so I was curious to know this Maulers backstory.
    Which would have only taken a panel or two to explain. Always bothers me as well when stuff like this happens.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Which would have only taken a panel or two to explain. Always bothers me as well when stuff like this happens.
    Plus, this was at least back in the days of footnotes. They could've had a '* previously seen in Daredevil #---, ed."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Plus, this was at least back in the days of footnotes. They could've had a '* previously seen in Daredevil #---, ed."
    That too. (Something they've done away with, because footnotes would never work with how many reboots all these books have had...)

And my general belief of their lack of caring for continuity...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Something they've done away with, because footnotes would never work with how many reboots all these books have had...
    Actually, the reason I heard was because they're not cinematic.
    Though the reboots and stuff have made for some funny footnotes in Squirrel Girl;
    * see SG #1 2015... the first SG #1 2015...
    things like that.

~ Le Messor
    "He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words."
    ~ Bobby Bowden, Florida State footballer, on player Reggie Herring

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    The issue is, this is an Alpha Flight story.
    If you take two panels to explain then that's taking two panels away from the characters whose book it actually is.

If it's not vital to the story you have to make a decision that the audience is well read enough to fill in the gaps themselves, or will go off and research it independently.

If Wolverine were to guest star in an issue of Alpha Flight do we need to put panels in explaining his entire backstory?
    If so then it'd just be 20 pages of Wolverine with no AF.
    (Taking it to the extreme, just to prove a point, I know )

I'd rather see an extra two panels of my favourite characters than have non-vital information about characters that I don't care about; as long as the story makes sense.

Similar sort of thing with footnotes, although to a lesser extent.

That too. (Something they've done away with, because footnotes would never work with how many reboots all these books have had...)

And my general belief of their lack of caring for continuity...
    I'd imagine it's more to do with the extra work for Editors and Letterers, and possibly something to do with the digital versions, which are fast becoming the bigger medium.