Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quesada on AF

From Quesada today:
    NRAMA: Last week you hinted at big plans for Alpha Flight. Mark Millar went one step further and said in Civil War he’s setting up “the possibility of a very good, very high profile Alpha Flight book spinning out of the series."

So in our own self-interest, we’re going to pit you against Millar and suggest you can’t let that typewriter monkey outdo the Marvel Editor-in-Chief. What can you tell fans about the future of Alpha Flight that tops that???

JQ: How about if I tell you that Mark Millar will be writing Alpha Flight? Now I don’t know if that’s true or not but I think Mark may have stated that on his website this week or something. If he isn’t then perhaps enough fans can write to him and have him finally agree to write the book he was born to do.

Of course, earlier he said that the future looked bleak for Alpha Flight, and Millar himself has explained to us that he isn't doing the book, but I like the sound of the "write the book he was born to do"... it makes Alpha seem like something of great value... of destiny... just thought I'd bring this over.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

One that that bugged me about that quote… Why wouldn’t Joe Q know if Millar is going to write it or not?

That makes me think that we are still quite a long way away from a new book.

A long way yes, you are talking about 3 or 4 months at least from when something is officially announced to when you see it. If no one is actually working on it, we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months

Ben

I can't see Marvel leaving it to long, especially with the present high profile Alpha is enjoying.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months
    Ben
    I agree. If you think about it, Civil War isn't even out yet and that's what, a 6-8 issue mini-series??

IMO, the closest we'll see a new Alpha book is late this year/early 2007.

I know it's still rumors, but how great could Millar's Alpha Flight be?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon Omega
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months
    Ben
    I agree. If you think about it, Civil War isn't even out yet and that's what, a 6-8 issue mini-series??

IMO, the closest we'll see a new Alpha book is late this year/early 2007.

I know it's still rumors, but how great could Millar's Alpha Flight be?!?!?
    Any Alpha Flight with be a bonus, but an AF written by Millar would be excellent imho. I know some people don't like his work, but at least when he writes anything he gives 110% to the characters and story. After the debacle that was vol3, maybe we shouldn't be looking any gift horses in the mouth.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Here Here!
    Rockin' Roll Martian!!!

Marvel is actually adding bios for Alpha Flight members

1. http://marvel.com/universe/Alpha_Flight

Even have bios for Aurora, and Northstar in the X-Men area. Diamond Lil, Wild Child [AoA], Snowbird, Sasquatch [AoA], Vindicator II have bios as well. They are still adding so look for more Alpha Flight members to pop up

I agree. An AF series written by Millar would be good because he, like Seagle, takes the time to think and write good plots.

It sounds to me like Joe Q. is being very coy, so one of three scenarios is possible:

- Millar is writing it and just doesn't need to say it, so look for AF no later than August

- Millar isn't writing it but Bendis, Quesada, and he know who is, it's up to Marts to announce it, or an upcoming convention notice. Then August is still a possible date

- They have no one hired and are waiting to get Civil War up and running, then hire for AF, which puts Alpha Flight's release no earlier than October.

I figure the third one is not the most likely. Obviously if Bendis and Millar know so much about a relaunch now, then it's on the schedule and it's in the works, so August at the latest (would writers hint at a relaunch without Quesada's blessing?? I highly doubt it, unless they are leaving Marvel, which they're not; would writers even know about a relaunch if it wasn't true?). They're talking tons about it, so the obvious 'no smoke without fire' applies here. I have no doubt that Marts is the editor.

My guess? Millar isn't writing, neither is Bendis, but people like Pak, or Finch, or David are likely involved.

After all, building up that AF is getting relaunched and then not doing it would be a Bricklinesque mistake.

Anyone post at Millar's board, wherever that is??
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The Millar Boards are at http://forums.millarworld.tv/

Pak said that he's working on a couple new Marvel projects that he can't discuss just yet. Taken from http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/report.htm
    Del

i agree with the timeline.

i think civil war will set-up the series, and that isn't over until december.

Personally, I think they were surprised by the outpouring by fans for AF when they were "killed" and are backpedalling now. Joe Q was probably covering his posterior when he said the team wasn't dead and that a relaunch was in the works. I'll bet he's scrambling around to get a creative team together to come up with the new book, new team and a new premise for them after the Civil War story is done. Therefore, we'll see AF (or whatever they end up being called) sometime after CW, but in a "we'll see them when we see them" time frame. I hope they don't rush it and take the time to make it good. [-o<