Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Avengers 16 (no spoilers, but a link to some)

I’m not bothered by people who dismiss Alpha Flight because they are Canadian…

I don’t think its right, but I don’t let it bother me. People are going to believe whatever people believe, I know that I can’t change that so I don’t waste my time or energy worrying about it.

I still don’t believe that Bendis or Joe Q has any real plans for Alpha Flight and that Bendis threw out that line to stop the backlash (the only reason I believe this is because Joe Q isn’t one to hide anything... if you read those Joe Fridays or the solicitations you know he will spoil anything and everything)

Having said that however I think that if the outcry is loud enough it will make them see that Alpha Flight is a viable property and they will be reborn soon. The only thing that will suck is that Bendis and Joe Q will (falsely) proclaim “that was our plan all along”

NRAMA: Anything serious you’d like to say?

JQ - Well as you know, Alpha Flight had a little bit of trouble in the most recent issue of New Avengers. Heck, I hear that the entire nation of Canada has declared war on Brian Bendis. Anyway, Just so Alpha flight folk don’t spend the entire weekend bummed out, don’t worry too much because there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team. I think when it all comes to fruition; all our Marvel faithful north of the border are going to be thrilled.

http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays38.html
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Honestly, I saw it coming, that's why I wasn't upset about the "death". It was attention getting ploy to make people take interest, talk, and buy books. Same deal as Northstar's "death". They know how to play us

This is good news for sure.

BTW, in an email from Bendis I got the following

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Michael Bendis
    I am sure everyone on your site is thrilled with me

I posted a comment on my board. they may not be dead as much as ready for a big relaunch. so stay tuned.

Ben

Yup, like I said, I figured beaten up not dead, or at least not all dead. So we get news next month (i'm thinking) on what AF will be when relaunched! Oh, I hope I'm a good guesser
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I have to say this to my fellow AF fans(who live in/are from the great and beautiful country of Canada...which I very much like visiting on occasion)...Don't pay any attention to those needy, idiotic twits trying to get a cheap laugh(or who sadly, think they're comedians) at Canada's expense on any random message board. They're not worth the effort and as I said..they're just doing it, because they crave/feed on the attention.

Ignore it and the world will be a better place...that and you'll crush their pathetic, basement-living spirits by pretending they don't matter.

Have nice day....GO Canada!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Well now, that sounds good to me.

Of course, I still think that NA 16 would have been more successful if it had shown a good battle play itself out. I had the issue in my hand this very day and put it down due to it's lack of substance.

On the upside I did pick up 5 more issues of the 2nd volume, to go with the one I picked up the other week. So thats the first 6 now.

I've only read the first 2, but all-in-all I like it ... except for the fact that the clone has no nose when in costume. The art has its faults, but all-in-all it is remarkably better then some of the stuff I saw in the X-Men back in the 90's. The art's definitely acceptable, and really very good in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Honestly, I saw it coming, that's why I wasn't upset about the "death". It was attention getting ploy to make people take interest, talk, and buy books. Same deal as Northstar's "death". They know how to play us

I posted a comment on my board. they may not be dead as much as ready for a big relaunch. so stay tuned.

Ben

wow. gotta say, pretty impressed by this move. pretty classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben

I was PO'd that Alpha Flight was apparently killed, but the real reason I was ticked is that they were "killed" off panel and so easily. As someone pointed out, Alpha is at least equal to (if not more powerful than) the current Avengers (with the exception of Sentry) so what the hell are they going to do when the Collective shows up on their doorstep? Maybe Cap can throw his shield at it, or Spidey can web it, or Wolvie can cut it... sadly that is what will probably happen.

As for Bendis...

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I have to say this to my fellow AF fans(who live in/are from the great and beautiful country of Canada...which I very much like visiting on occasion)...Don't pay any attention to those needy, idiotic twits trying to get a cheap laugh(or who sadly, think they're comedians) at Canada's expense on any random message board. They're not worth the effort and as I said..they're just doing it, because they crave/feed on the attention.

Ignore it and the world will be a better place...that and you'll crush their pathetic, basement-living spirits by pretending they don't matter.

Have nice day....GO Canada!
    Thanks for that, it does annoy me somewhat when someone posts for no other reason than to flame people. What really bugs me however, are those idiots who badmouth AF when they (probably) have never read any of the books. And that all stems from how badly AF is portrayed in other titles!

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    On the upside I did pick up 5 more issues of the 2nd volume, to go with the one I picked up the other week. So thats the first 6 now.

I've only read the first 2, but all-in-all I like it ... except for the fact that the clone has no nose when in costume. The art has its faults, but all-in-all it is remarkably better then some of the stuff I saw in the X-Men back in the 90's. The art's definitely acceptable, and really very good in some places.
    Not sure if your aware of this, but there's some commentary on vol 2 art processes here
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Hey, I think I found some amazing proof that shows that Marvel does have the big picture in mind, that should have hinted to us that this was going to happen! Reading through old stuff this weekend I ran across issue 1 of Infinity Crusade, which as you know had Puck, Shaman and Sasquatch recruited by the Goddess. But what I found interesting was the words she spoke in order to convince these member of Alpha Flight to join her cause, words that seem quite different when read now: "You are strong souls who would sacrifice your all for the collective good of humanity." Could it be that this is all some long term after effect of the Infinity Crusade? The collective? Hmm... a mystery.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    The villain, from the media buzz is supposedly the collective powers of former mutants. Has anyone thought that this character becomes an automatic reset for those mutants to regain their powers? The defeat of this character could automatically restore the life energies of the fallen Alphas, if they are 'dead."
    Considering that there's no more than one mutant (Puck II, and I don't know that she -is- a mutant) in that scene, that doesn't seem likely, does it?

The line-up, apart from the missing twins, is what it should be after AF v3 ended. The rest? Yukon Jack and Snowbird got married and moved to his home. Centeniel and Nemesis are dead. Thunder formed the League of Super Pets (which means MM was powerless here). The young Plodex was with Namor. Leaving, pretty much, the team we saw.

This -was- their death scene, btw. They got barrelled. Didn't even resist. People who've defeated the Ravager, Wendigo, The Sorceror, DreamQueen, a nuclear blast, The X-Men!!! etc... taken down without a fight. There was nothing to fill in. It killed them in passing.

This is why this issue made me so angry. The disrespect. the...

I can't.

We'll see. That's all we can do. And no matter what happens, Bendis still needs to stick to the solo titles.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Thing is, I don't -care- if AF survives their death. They should never have been taken apart that easily. Never.
    Especially in something that's solicited as their final battle!

The disrespect remains.

- Le Messor
    "Drive like Hell; you’ll get there eventually."

The stuff about Alpha Flight being expendable to to their Canadian-ism makes me sad.... Not because i'm not used to being bashed, but because I know so many Canadians who were sick of being made fun of and have become rediculously anti-american. Its a hate spiral. Ah well, as long as the majority on each side respects each other than its all good.. Seriously though, i wrote Marvel a letter telling them I'm angry about the quality of their book. Basically, the whole thing about them wasting paper with full page splashed pissed me the hell off and still does. Unforgivable!

Default Ugh!

Thought I'd add my 2 cents (belated as it may be) to the little 'preview' of AF's guest appearance in New Avengers #16.

Sucks, don't it?

Alpha as cannon fodder and 23+ years of narrative history down the drain. I don't even know how a team can rise from these 'ashes', so to speak (given how easily they were defeated) if a 'major relaunch' is planned soon. They were totally bowled over by one entity -- all's I can say is that this Collective dude had better be ripping apart some Avenger entrails before they take him/it down.

Also, it looks like 2 members of the original FF are slated for termination. What's going on with Marvel these days - they seem to be rather trigger happy. I wonder if they will be resurrected in time for the sequel to the FF movie. They did, after all, bring Colossus back in time for the X3 film.

Plus, I like AF, and I'm not even Canadian.