Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Avengers 16 (no spoilers, but a link to some)

Funeral for Guardian
    Alpha Flight #101-This seems appropriate after the events of New Avengers #16. Alpha Flight believed when Mac sacrificed his life to save billions, they thought he was gone forever. Heather gives some sad parting ways and those same comments can be applied to each and every member of Alpha Flight. Just to note Mac isn't really dead, he eventually comes back at the end of the series. Still we should pay our respects to Alpha Flight

1. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...htv1101-07.jpg
    2. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...htv1101-08.jpg
    3. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...htv1101-19.jpg
    4. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...htv1101-21.jpg

As far as Marvel continuity goes, Alpha Flight is in space, and these characters (Shaman, The Hudsons, and Puck I) are all alternate versions taken from the past. The only character that might be "dead" that would have any real impact is Sasquatch, but he's tough enough that he may have survived.

Ben

You mean Marvel has continuity? Hurrah, we are saved
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I picked up the book today and as soon as I finished it I went to marvel.com and wrote an e-mail to them. I said I was never buying another Marvel comic again, then told Joe Q to screw himself but in four-letter words and let Bendis know his writing is crap and he cost the company a loyal reader. What I really wanted to say to him was I hope he got cancer, but that's not appropriate even for this piece of $&!#. The worst part however is the last four pages of the book are taken up with a lame-@$$ story about some lame-@$$ super group from the New Universe! I swear we should all stop buying Marvel books and see if they respect AF and their fans then.

Ben brings up a good point, AF is actually in space right now. Maybe Lobdell actually did some good in that final issue of vol. 3.

But there is one problem, Sasquatch. He wasn't on that ship. But I'm not too worried as I guarantee he ain't dead.

Yes I remember current Alpha FLight is in space, but killing your past self can't be good for the present Alpha Flight. Wait....wouldn't the Earth be destroyed, since this was the AF team when Guardian went to New York, so if they died now they couldn't prevent the Great Beasts from causing more damage, or Llan or even Dreamqueen from taking control of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Yes I remember current Alpha FLight is in space, but killing your past self can't be good for the present Alpha Flight. Wait....wouldn't the Earth be destroyed, since this was the AF team when Guardian went to New York, so if they died now they couldn't prevent the Great Beasts from causing more damage, or Llan or even Dreamqueen from taking control of the world.
    Yes but what your forgetting is that because different members of Alpha went to different time periods to try and help Flashback, lots of divergent realities were created. We all know that the real Alpha were never stolen from time, so it must have been one of these divergent Alpha Flights that came to this time. Sas had a team after AF vol 3 #12, the pseudo Alphans joined, they fought the 'Collective' and got battered. The real Alphans are in space on a space ship that got blown up in vol 1 so the Master of the World would be free of Plodex technology.

Or
    "Meanwhile in a continuity free universe far away..."
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

You might be right this Alpha Flight might be from a divergent timeline

Ben brings up a good point, AF is actually in space right now. Maybe Lobdell actually did some good in that final issue of vol. 3.
    A valid point for the distant future, but I think that under the current administration, this should probably even stay a hidden fact, as they might try to explain that away, retconning it to make things even more confusing, just to make sure that Alpha Flight is dead. I for one shall take a bit of solace in the thought and let myself hold on to the possibility, despite the fact that it means we may not see the true Alphans for some time. As for Sasquatch... if he is indeed dead (which admittedly in the pictures he appears to be the only one in my mind who actually has a chance of still being alive, also a point to argue is that being in Sasquatch form is a result of Langowski's willpower, and as he has not reverted to human form, this must mean he is still alive)... well actually after that, screw my sentimental words honoring him, the big furball has got to still be alive!

God guys I'm dying over here! After work I'm running to my local shop and picking up this book. I know I'll be disappointed, but I just have to see for myself.

And thanks for everyone on this thread who didn't give away TOO much stuff, for a guy who hasn't read it yet it's appreciated.

It's such a shame at Marvel that if your not Spiderman, The X-Men or Wolverine you're completely expendable, it makes me sick.

I doubt that they Lobdell stuff will ever be much use 'in continuity', as sad as it was. The AF in New Avengers is AF, or else why would Heather be there or be suing that suit, since either way 'young Heather' had zippo experience with anything superhero and thus would not be on this mission, since Mac is. Therefore, this is the real AF, back from space or never in space.

Now, are they dead? Maybe. Will they stay 'dead'? No, of course not. Mac died three times alone. Snowbird once. And people keep hoping a retconn will bring Marrina back to life.

The Northstar news in July could be him returning to reformat AF with Box, Lil, and Aurora, or some such thing. If that happens, then OK they died in NA but again nothing in comics is forever.

Still I doubt this will be a 'dead is dead' thing even for 6 months. Maybe it would be OK if they were dead and stayed so, but millions of comic book fans want Jean Grey to stay dead and she keeps coming back, just like Mac. Then there's Psylocke and Colossus, for heck's sake. And so many more characters shown with their heads blown off and body parts scattered across 5 time zones, but they 'return' to life somehow, and it never makes sense. Poor maggots, they eat those guys and never get to finish.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

First Brubaker, now Bendis. Note to writers: KILLING OFF CLASSIC CHARACTERS CHEAPLY AND LAMELY DOES NOT MAKE YOUR STUPID NEW VILLAIN LOOK OH-SO-COOL.

Just revolting. Ugh. There goes what little respect I had for the man after the sheer crapfests that were House of M and Secret War.

Am i the only one who isn't cool with the death of Puck II? But seriously, what really bothers me is the way marvel kills characters. When I see death I want it to be really obvious, not Guardian having a ripped mask and a nose bleed. If I see someone get hit by a gigantic blast I expect to see body parts everywhere, burn marks, and at least some singed fur on Sassy. Why did Guardian not "Teleport?" And how can anybody kill Puck? Is anybody else angry that they didn't even get a full issue because of the add-in? And why the hell are the New Avengers on the cover? Anyone remember when characters on the cover had something to do with what they did in the comic and were'nt just modeling? The way this is going Marvel is just going to stick a picture on every comic book including Franklin Richards just to make sales. Its like they're asking for the 1990's crash all over again. I admire DC though their stuff is too complicated for me to get into now. They at least kill characters off with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I picked up the book today and as soon as I finished it I went to marvel.com and wrote an e-mail to them.
    Where can you send them an e-mail? I just finished writing my letter and want to send it to them.

This is my letter, good..bad...dumb?
    ==============
    Dear Marvel,
    I have been a Marvel reader for over 20 years and have over 10,000 of your comics just alone. I was content with you as the number one comic company out there, since you have such a great diverse amount of characters that have such a wealth of history. Now this brings up my point with the events in New Avengers #16. How dare you kill off Alpha Flight the way you did! What gives Bendis the right to kill of long time running characters just on a whim? Alpha Flight is one of the most underrated and strongest Marvel teams out there. They were groundbreakers and covered things other comics wouldn’t touch.

Honestly how is New Avengers going to beat this threat, when Alpha Flight the people who have taken down Llan, Dreamqueen, Galactus, Great Beasts and various other things, couldn’t? This incident spat in the faces of all the fans of Alpha Flight and it’s disrespectful to do this to a long-running team. Their first volume of comics ran #130 issues and some characters been around for 30 years. Now Bendis killed them? off panel? I was irate when I picked up this issue, but I hope you remember the events of Alpha Flight vol.3. That this isn’t the real Alpha Flight, but the Alpha Flight from a past divergent timeline. The real ones are on the Plodex home world with Earthmover and Mac and Heather’s daughter.

If you look at their abilities they have shown in their own series and others they are greatly underrated. Such as Shaman sucking up an atomic bomb, Guardian having the ability to shut people’s brains off, Sasquatch tossing a 250 ton DC-10 1000 feet while the engines were still on, Talisman rivals Dr.Strange’s power, etc. You down play Alpha Flight’s abilities enough and now this? Why didn’t Guardian “teleport” away when things got bad, and how is Puck even cut open? Guardian has blasts capable of taken down a weakened Galactus and to kill a being as durable as Sasquatch. Puck is invulnerable and his tissues are made of compressed rubber, so why is he cut up? Shaman on the other hand could have done many things his potential is limitless. I’m sick of Bendis and I’m sick of your “shock” value comics. Give Dan Slott more jobs and lower the amount you give Bendis. I will admit he has great talent, but he is spreading himself to thin and this has pissed me off to no ends.

Once again you spat in the face of all the fans of Alpha Flight, and you didn’t even show them the respect to go down in a blaze of glory. If this were handled like the Freedom Fighters in Infinite Crisis #1 I would have been upset that they died; but not upset at the writer and the company. Another thing to note, Shaman does not say things like “yeah, right” and stated in vol.3 Alpha Flight does not work for the Canadian government. Also why didn’t the leader of Alpha Flight [Guardian] say anything? I saw Puck, Guardian and possibly Sasquatch [or Werewolf by Night] on the Civil War poster, but was that just a non-spoiler poster?

I’m deeply offended, and I’m seriously contemplating ending all purchases of future Marvel comics due to Bendis lack of respect for characters. I hope this isn’t the end of Alpha Flight, which your solicits said it would be. They are a great set of characters, and there are no bad characters…. only bad writers.

Sincerely, a concerned Marvel fan
    Andrew Monkman

I think this sounds silly, but mentioning the Alternative Universe team might not be something you want to draw attention to. Less the people remember, the more fodder a writer might have to writing the characters again.

The second to last paragraph doesn’t seem necessary, just added gripes to a horrible issue in general. However, I’d try to give an example of a ‘proper death’ that was written in a Marvel series and not DC.

Other than that and maybe a few grammar errors, not too bad at all.