Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: characters and provinces

Default characters and provinces

Just for fun, can you associate which character come from which province?

Heather
    Puck
    MAc
    Aurora
    Northstar
    Madisson Jeffries
    Wildchild
    Shaman
    Talisman
    Diamond Lil
    marrina
    SasquATCH
    fLEX
    Murmur
    Purple Girl
    ...(whatever you think about)

and then let count which province got the most character
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Default Re: characters and provinces

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Just for fun, can you associate which character come from which province?...Aand then let count which province got the most character
    ....And then let count which province got the most character[/quote]

If we're talking about any Canadian Marvel character...here goes...

Aurora - Montreal, Quebec
    Box(Roger Bochs) - Moosejaw, Saskatchewan
    Diamond Lil - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
    Flashback - Manitoba
    Goblyn - Unrevealed
    Graviton - Banff, Alberta
    Guardian/Heather - Calgary, Alberta
    Guardian/Mac - London, Ontario
    Harpoon - Northwest Territories?
    Ice Princess - Northwest Territories?
    Jerome Jaxon - Red Deer, Alberta
    Northstar - Montreal, Quebec
    Madison Jeffries - Unrevealed
    Manikin - Unrevealed
    Marrina - Newfoundland
    Pathway - Unrevealed
    Persuasion/Purple Girl - Toronto, Ontario
    Puck - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Puck II - Quebec?
    Sasquatch - Vancouver, British Columbia
    Shaman - Sarcee Reserve, Calgary, Alberta
    Snake Marston - Ontario
    Snowbird - Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories
    Talisman - Calgary, Alberta
    Wendigo I(Paul Cartier) - Quebec
    Wendigo I(Georges Baptiste) - Quebec
    Wendigo III(Francois Lartigue) - Quebec
    Windshear - Toronto, Ontario
    Wolverine - ?

Smat Alec was born in London and I've heard something about Wild Child being born in Scotland(I don't know if it's true or not).

Looks like most are from Quebec with 6?...followed by Alberta with 5?

That's all I've got..

Dana

Edited to fix spelling.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Diamond Lil - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
    Never knew Lil was a fellow Northerner...

Sorry, Dana, it's been meantioned that Harpoons actually Alaskan

While accurate as of the time she was introduced, I'd be remiss if I didn't meantion that Resolute Bay is now in Nunavut.

Wolverine - ?
    According to 'Origin', Logan was born in Northern Alberta (prolly not far from Edm, considering how well-off his parents were), and spent most of his early adult years in Northern BC (although, considering he was born in 1895, technically he's not Canadian, since Alberta didn't join confederation until 1905).
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Feedback from Halifax. Logan is Canadian, since he was born after Confederation and where he was born, though not a province, was a territory (the Northwest Territory, in fact, proposed to become the province of Buffalo, then broken up into Saskatchewan, Alberta, and North West Territories) and Canadian land etc.

Moose Jaw for one, Saskatoon for another. I went to the U of S., now live not too far from Moose Jaw.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Logan is Canadian, since he was born after Confederation and where he was born, though not a province, was a territory (the Northwest Territory, in fact, proposed to become the province of Buffalo, then broken up into Saskatchewan, Alberta, and North West Territories) and Canadian land etc.
    You're 90% right here, Mokole - at least, if I remember my Canadian history -: until 1905, the lands we know as Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories were still considered part of British Dominion (much like Newfoundland was until 1949), and NOT part of the Canadian Confederation. In 1905, Alberta and Saskatchewan gained provincial status, and titleship of the NWT was transfered over from the Queen to the GOC in 1906.

I thought Northstar had lived in Montreal with Raymonde, but that his current residence was in Laval.

Suzene

[quote="HappyCanuck"]
    Sorry, Dana, it's been meantioned that Harpoons actually Alaskan

Mentioned?...but has it been put into print by Marvel yet?

While accurate as of the time she was introduced, I'd be remiss if I didn't meantion that Resolute Bay is now in Nunavut.

That's interesting...So(please forgive my ignorance) is Nunavut a new Territory or Province?

Wolverine - ?
    According to 'Origin', Logan was born in Northern Alberta (prolly not far from Edm, considering how well-off his parents were), and spent most of his early adult years in Northern BC (although, considering he was born in 1895, technically he's not Canadian, since Alberta didn't join confederation until 1905).
    So he's another hero from Alberta? Cool...that makes 6 for Alberta, they're in a tie with Quebec, then.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    I thought Northstar had lived in Montreal with Raymonde, but that his current residence was in Laval.

Suzene
    All of the past handbooks have stated that Jean Paul and Aurora were born in Montreal....he also had a home there during the original Alpha Flight run.

Dana

Mentioned?...but has it been put into print by Marvel yet?
    yes it has, in one of his early appearances circa Inferno. I'll have a look and see if I can find what issue it was meantioned in

That's interesting...So(please forgive my ignorance) is Nunavut a new Territory or Province?
    Ignorance forgiven - there's Canadians who don't seem to know *sigh*. Nunavut is the newest Territory, established April 1, 1999. It's capital city is Iqaluit, and encompasses about half the original mainland Northwest Territories and all the Arctic Islands.

So he's another hero from Alberta? Cool...that makes 6 for Alberta, they're in a tie with Quebec, then.
    Heh, would appear so, yes.

Suzene
    All of the past handbooks have stated that Jean Paul and Aurora were born in Montreal....he also had a home there during the original Alpha Flight run.
    Ah. I don't tend to look beyond the Byrne run and a few guest-shots done during that period, so my info is probably out of date.

Suzene

Default On the status of Alberta in Confederation

Happy Canuck wrote:

You're 90% right here, Mokole - at least, if I remember my Canadian history -: until 1905, the lands we know as Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories were still considered part of British Dominion (much like Newfoundland was until 1949), and NOT part of the Canadian Confederation. In 1905, Alberta and Saskatchewan gained provincial status, and titleship of the NWT was transfered over from the Queen to the GOC in 1906.

Hello, while I've been a longtime observer of this forum, this is my first post to Alpha Waves so I hope you'll forgive me if I have skipped some protocol...but I absolutely have to respond to the issue of Alberta's (and by extension Saskatchewan's) status withing Confederation.

Officially, the territory that now encompasses Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon Territory, the North-West Territories, and Nunavut was purchased by the Canadian government from the Hudson's Bay Company in 1870. According to the governing charter of the HBC, it had exclusive control (economic, and to a limited extent, legal) over all land whose watershed emptied into Hudson's Bay. Hence all HBC territory legally became Canadian territory at that time.

Naturally the vague wording of the HBC charter, in addition to various legitimate land claims by first nations groups (incl. Metis), led to several outstanding territorial disputes. This includes the Alaskan boundary dispute and, of course, the well known Red River Rebellion of 1870 and Northwest Rebellion of 1885 (led by Louis Riel). Thanks to Riel's efforts the modern provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta all exist today, from Metis, First Nation, and local western opposition to the Canadian take over of the North-West Territories (as opposed to the most likely scenario of one big Ontario expanding to the BC border). Us westerners should also thank Quebecers for their support of Riel's movement and opposition of unending Ontario expansion.

To make a long (but fascinating story short), by 1895 Canada had long reached its present day borders in the West (more or less), and thus Logan was
    most definitely born a Canadian citizen and not merely a citizen of some seperate dominion (like Newfoundland and Labrador).

Case in point--the North-West Mounted Police (now the RCMP) had reached and were patrolling Western Canadian (as far as the BC border --with camps near present day Edmonton and Calgary) territory by 1874.

Of course, don't take my word for it ,

the whole story is better portrayed in an extremely fascinating and unique context by Chester Brown in his graphic novel
    Louis Riel - A Comic Strip Biography

:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...lance&n=283155

(see Alex Ross's review on the same page!!!)

Definitely one of the greatest works in Canadian comics history (outside Alpha Flight--of course)!

P.S. Sorry if this posting seems rather longwinded or upstart-ish (is that even a word?) to any of the regulars on this forum--I love reading your guys' stuff here and hope it's around for years to come. ops
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way" -- Juan Ramon Jimenez, Nobel laureate in literature 1956, Spain. (Epigraph of Fahrenheit 451)

Default Re: On the status of Alberta in Confederation

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterLemon
    P.S. Sorry if this posting seems rather longwinded or upstart-ish (is that even a word?) to any of the regulars on this forum--I love reading your guys' stuff here and hope it's around for years to come. ops
    No need to apologize SL, all are welcome (go into the light). Besides, you answered the question of Logan's (or James') status as a Canadian citizen. Welcome to Alpha Waves by the way.

Thanks SL. I'll admit some of my research was a tad dogdy in some areas, so I had to make the best educated guess. Thanks for clearing up some items.

Suzene
    Ah. I don't tend to look beyond the Byrne run and a few guest-shots done during that period, so my info is probably out of date.

Suzene
    That was from the Byrne run, Suz....Northstar lived in Montreal(or just outside) with two other people(Rhonda and Maurice...or maybe they were his house servants?) in a huge house.

Dana

Umm.. I can tell you where Windshear came from...