Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: All New Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe, A-Z

Default Re: Witchfire

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    What did it say the latest status of Witchfire was? Did Yukon Jack end with him living with Snowbird?
    I updated the alphanex with the information

Witchfire status is unknown, after Alpha Flight disbanded she left to find her own place in the world.

Yukon Jack is indeed married to the temporal copy of Snowbird and ruling Kemetron

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Finally picked up #12, best AF related enteries was Witchfire by far than Yukon Jack. Windshear was meh!, but good and Wild Child was informative but his stats were way off.

I'm updating the entries for Witchfire and Yukon Jack in the Alphanex.
    Speaking as one of the writers, but not the writer of any of those:

Sorry you found Windshear meh - how so?

As for Wild Child, keep in mind (as noted in his powers) that his stats have varied from form to form as he has changed over the years. That said, if you think the stats are way off, let us know - if you can convince us they are wrong, we'll note it in the official errata pages at Marvel.com and if a reprint is ever done, we'll try and get them corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki

As for Wild Child, keep in mind (as noted in his powers) that his stats have varied from form to form as he has changed over the years. That said, if you think the stats are way off, let us know - if you can convince us they are wrong, we'll note it in the official errata pages at Marvel.com and if a reprint is ever done, we'll try and get them corrected.
    Oh no it was good, I was just hoping we would find out more of what he is doing currently. That's why many of us were excited to get Witchfire's entry as we wanted to know what she was up to as well. Windshear's bio is spot-on and I feel the stats were as well.

I was more miffed with his fighting skill level, when he was Weapon Omega he showed he was vastly skilled in fighting even being trained by the best in the world including Wolverine and Nick Fury and various others. He fought to a stalemate with Wolverine when he was in his Wildheart personna and even as his Wild Child classic form. Well I actually have compiled feats for the various AF members, but below is the Wild Child respect thread. I know no handbooks can be 100% accurate, my respect threads show things not mentioned in their entries but I didn't expect them to list everything. Far from realistic. Such as the feats Sasquatch has, should definetly have him at a vastly higher level than what he is.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/4...respect-thread

Oh no it was good, I was just hoping we would find out more of what he is doing currently. That's why many of us were excited to get Witchfire's entry as we wanted to know what she was up to as well. Windshear's bio is spot-on and I feel the stats were as well.
    I see. Generally speaking, we aren't allowed to delve into what a character has been doing "off-camera" since their last appearance (unless, of course, that's been mentioned in another comic - e.g. Windshear has been reported de-powered in the wake of M-Day). We can make educated speculation on certain things, but we clearly mark it as such - e.g. we haven't seen Wild Child of late, but he's been reported de-powered. However the handbook noted that since he'd been genetically manipulated too, its possible some of his abilities might be intact, as those genetic alterations shouldn't have been affected by Wanda's "no more mutants" mandate.

We can clarify things though, running confused points passed editorial and writers for an official position - which is how we found out who the new Sunpyre was in Big Hero Six and where she came from, or how Humbug is still alive to be a member of Heroes for Hire when he was previously seen being eaten alive.

As to earlier posts wondering if Windshear and Witchfire's presence in the handbook was an indication of them being about to reappear, unfortunately I can't confirm or deny that. Sometimes we include someone because we do know they are about to reappear (or have reappeared recently) and we want to bring everyone up to speed on them. Sometimes we include them because they haven't been covered before, and whether they are about to reappear or not, we feel its time for them to get an entry. Sometimes we include them and then they reappear coincidentally around the same time (this seems to happen with surprising regularity - the aforementioned Humbug, or, as another example, we planned to have a Dominic Fortune entry in the A-Z, and low and behold as it was being written, a new Dominic Fortune mini-series was announced - synchronicity). And sometimes we do an entry and because of it someone reappears, because we've jogged a writer's memory of a given character.

I was more miffed with his fighting skill level, when he was Weapon Omega he showed he was vastly skilled in fighting even being trained by the best in the world including Wolverine and Nick Fury and various others. He fought to a stalemate with Wolverine when he was in his Wildheart personna and even as his Wild Child classic form.
    As I said, I wasn't the writer of this particular entry, but if its his fighting stat that you feel is too low, then I suspect its because in his last seen incarnation his animalistic side had been enhanced to the point where he wasn't capable of using any skilled fighting techniques.

Well I actually have compiled feats for the various AF members, but below is the Wild Child respect thread. I know no handbooks can be 100% accurate, my respect threads show things not mentioned in their entries but I didn't expect them to list everything. Far from realistic. Such as the feats Sasquatch has, should definetly have him at a vastly higher level than what he is.
    I'll check out the respect thread, but remember, the Handbooks have to factor in things like consistency and hyperbole - e.g. Hercules was once seen pulling the entire island of Manhattan into place using two chains from his back. This has been written off as a case where the comic was showing Herc's boastful account exaggerating his own feat (apart from anything else, even if Herc were that strong, where's he going to find chains that won't break, and where would he anchor them?) If a character once in a blue moon performs a feat well above what they normally can do, it usually means its either an exaggerated account, or that its an exceptional case with other factors involved. Sasquatch normally can't stop a jumbo jet as it attempts to take off and throw it like a toy. Apart from anything else, no matter how strong Sasquatch is, the mass difference means he should have been lifted into the air by the plane; we've got to figure that's a combination of hyberbole for the sake of introducing him (writers and artists not thinking through just how strong you'd have to be to do that unaided), with possible external factors such as Shaman using storm force winds to back up Sasuqatch's efforts.

Default Re: Witchfire

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    What did it say the latest status of Witchfire was? Did Yukon Jack end with him living with Snowbird?
    Yukon Jack is indeed married to the temporal copy of Snowbird and ruling Kemetron
    Ugh. I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't consider the ending of the latest series as canon, especially since things seemed to jump ahead a little in time to explain everyone's whereabouts. Using temporal copies as canon makes the whole Alpha mess even more convoluted. And as for showing Mar with Namor, I doubt any writer is going to even acknowledge that as having occurred.

Wow thanks for the post Loki, I'm going have to get back with a reply later as I'm heading to work.

Much appreicated your taking the time to talk.

Sorry sir your going to have to bear with me for the next couple days as my dog was put down and I'm in no mood for a debate right now. Sorry for the delay

I see. Generally speaking, we aren't allowed to delve into what a character has been doing "off-camera" since their last appearance (unless, of course, that's been mentioned in another comic - e.g. Windshear has been reported de-powered in the wake of M-Day). We can make educated speculation on certain things, but we clearly mark it as such - e.g. we haven't seen Wild Child of late, but he's been reported de-powered. However the handbook noted that since he'd been genetically manipulated too, its possible some of his abilities might be intact, as those genetic alterations shouldn't have been affected by Wanda's "no more mutants" mandate.

We can clarify things though, running confused points passed editorial and writers for an official position - which is how we found out who the new Sunpyre was in Big Hero Six and where she came from, or how Humbug is still alive to be a member of Heroes for Hire when he was previously seen being eaten alive.

As to earlier posts wondering if Windshear and Witchfire's presence in the handbook was an indication of them being about to reappear, unfortunately I can't confirm or deny that. Sometimes we include someone because we do know they are about to reappear (or have reappeared recently) and we want to bring everyone up to speed on them. Sometimes we include them because they haven't been covered before, and whether they are about to reappear or not, we feel its time for them to get an entry. Sometimes we include them and then they reappear coincidentally around the same time (this seems to happen with surprising regularity - the aforementioned Humbug, or, as another example, we planned to have a Dominic Fortune entry in the A-Z, and low and behold as it was being written, a new Dominic Fortune mini-series was announced - synchronicity). And sometimes we do an entry and because of it someone reappears, because we've jogged a writer's memory of a given character.
    Yeah that's understandable, we were still hoping we may figure out what has happened to them. For instance in the X-Men 198 handbook they list Persuasion was a prisoner in Weapon X's Neverland Camp. No one knew about this, as she never appeared during Weapon X series. So that was more information we actually knew. Some of us were hoping a gem like that might appear again. Or the reveal the Sasquatch from Howling Commandos was in fact Alpha Flight's Sasquatch.

Understandable, keeping track of every Marvel character 100% is well darn near impossible.

haha yeah looking through the a-z handbook I relived memories of characters I outright completly forgot.

As I said, I wasn't the writer of this particular entry, but if its his fighting stat that you feel is too low, then I suspect its because in his last seen incarnation his animalistic side had been enhanced to the point where he wasn't capable of using any skilled fighting techniques.
    His mind was not an animal, he was just like Sabertooth feral but still skilled. He wouldn't forget all of his traning as even when he was feral during Weapon X, it was Wild Child who beat Sunfire while Sabertooth got flash boiled.

I'll check out the respect thread, but remember, the Handbooks have to factor in things like consistency and hyperbole - e.g. Hercules was once seen pulling the entire island of Manhattan into place using two chains from his back. This has been written off as a case where the comic was showing Herc's boastful account exaggerating his own feat (apart from anything else, even if Herc were that strong, where's he going to find chains that won't break, and where would he anchor them?) If a character once in a blue moon performs a feat well above what they normally can do, it usually means its either an exaggerated account, or that its an exceptional case with other factors involved. Sasquatch normally can't stop a jumbo jet as it attempts to take off and throw it like a toy. Apart from anything else, no matter how strong Sasquatch is, the mass difference means he should have been lifted into the air by the plane; we've got to figure that's a combination of hyberbole for the sake of introducing him (writers and artists not thinking through just how strong you'd have to be to do that unaided), with possible external factors such as Shaman using storm force winds to back up Sasuqatch's efforts.
    I agree with the Hercules examples, but Sasquatch doesn't have something to that extreme degree. Sasquatch does have various feats not just once in a blue moon that puts him over 70 tons. He has even caught a 6 story building from falling completly over, as well as dragged and lifted out of the water a fully equipped battle cruiser, Thing has admited Sasquatch was stronger (At that time Thing was class 80), and while Walter returned he mentioned the Box robot isn't half the strength of Sasquatch (At that time it was class 85). Then there's the fact Sasquatch can become an Elder God completly possessed by Tanaraq, even giving Talisman a challenge causing her to have a magical backlash. He is the personification of death on Earth when it was first commencing to come alive, and he and the other beasts control death and decay to use against mankind.
    =====
    Thanks again for taking the time for your reply, it's greatly appreicated and nice to have associates of Marvel coming and talking to us. It was informative and beneifical.

For instance in the X-Men 198 handbook they list Persuasion was a prisoner in Weapon X's Neverland Camp. No one knew about this, as she never appeared during Weapon X series. So that was more information we actually knew.
    Actually Tieri revealed it over on X-Fan back when #5 came out years back. And that it was nly because of a colourist error that she survived the culling.

Or the reveal the Sasquatch from Howling Commandos was in fact Alpha Flight's Sasquatch.
    Again, it was something we all presumed it was just the writer at the time declared it was the actual Sasquatch rather than Walt, although as stated that hasn't become the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Actually Tieri revealed it over on X-Fan back when #5 came out years back. And that it was nly because of a colourist error that she survived the culling.

Again, it was something we all presumed it was just the writer at the time declared it was the actual Sasquatch rather than Walt, although as stated that hasn't become the case.
    X-Fan?

We might have presumed it but even Loki as he stated didn't know until just briefly before the Sasquatch entry came out.

For instance in the X-Men 198 handbook they list Persuasion was a prisoner in Weapon X's Neverland Camp. No one knew about this, as she never appeared during Weapon X series. So that was more information we actually knew.
    Why does everyone (including Tieri) blame it on a colorist error?...Have any of you actually read the Weapon X book? It was an ARTIST error...The character drawn WAS Sienna Blaze (she was colored correctly too)...There is nobody (I repeat) NOBODY in the series who even remotely resembles a miscolored Kara Killgrave. As Mungi stated...Persuasion was not in the Weapon X series...Period. Frank Tieri may have intended her to be there, but she was nowhere to be seen (as far as the art was concerned). Now, Kara may have been in the camp as the 198 Handbook states, but it also states that she is alive and well (and has her powers). NOTE: Kara has also NOT been shown as a member of the 198 (other than the already-mentioned handbook) in any of the X-books (Diamond Lil has...Never Kara)...She has not appeared since AF Vol1 issue 130.

Or the reveal the Sasquatch from Howling Commandos was in fact Alpha Flight's Sasquatch.
    Again, it was something we all presumed it was just the writer at the time declared it was the actual Sasquatch rather than Walt, although as stated that hasn't become the case.[/quote]

What "reveal"? It was not A sasquatch, but THE Sasquatch (Freakin' Walter Langkowski, people...try to pay attention)....That's the way it was written (IN THE BOOK)...By the very writer you speak of. It was Walter and yes...He was written very badly, but it was still Walter.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Frank Tieri may have intended her to be there, but she was nowhere to be seen (as far as the art was concerned). Now, Kara may have been in the camp as the 198 Handbook states, but it also states that she is alive and well (and has her powers).
    Then that's all we have to go on.

It was not A sasquatch, but THE Sasquatch (Freakin' Walter Langkowski, people...try to pay attention)....That's the way it was written (IN THE BOOK)...By the very writer you speak of. It was Walter and yes...He was written very badly, but it was still Walter.
    Yet Giffen denied it was Walter at the time.

Frank Tieri may have intended her to be there, but she was nowhere to be seen (as far as the art was concerned). Now, Kara may have been in the camp as the 198 Handbook states, but it also states that she is alive and well (and has her powers).
    Then that's all we have to go on.

It was not A sasquatch, but THE Sasquatch (Freakin' Walter Langkowski, people...try to pay attention)....That's the way it was written (IN THE BOOK)...By the very writer you speak of. It was Walter and yes...He was written very badly, but it was still Walter.
    Yet Giffen denied it was Walter at the time.
    Hmmm...Maybe he doesn't read what he writes?

Dana

Pass, I haven't read the scripts so I know not.

It's canon now though, so there we go.

Pass, I haven't read the scripts so I know not.

It's canon now though, so there we go.
    Yup...Walter Langkowski/Sasquatch is now a former member of the Howling Commandos....ick.

Dana