Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All New Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe, A-Z

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    How can we tell Jeanne Marie's skin is harder? Both of them(in the past Handbooks) have been said to have harder than normal skin(able to resist friction, impacts, etc...). Does it specifically say "Aurora's skin is harder than her brothers"?...If not...then it's not.

Dana
    Well didn't Sasquatch experiment on her, make her skin more durable? Plus who knows what Weapon X also did to her.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/a/aurora.htm

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    How can we tell Jeanne Marie's skin is harder? Both of them(in the past Handbooks) have been said to have harder than normal skin(able to resist friction, impacts, etc...). Does it specifically say "Aurora's skin is harder than her brothers"?...If not...then it's not.

Dana
    Well didn't Sasquatch experiment on her, make her skin more durable? Plus who knows what Weapon X also did to her.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/a/aurora.htm
    LOL...That Directory profile refers to Aurora as "Jeanne-Maim Beaubier"....LOL!

However, I see no mention in it about her durability being increased by Langkowski...only that he altered her powers...

"Dr. Walter Langkowski, the physicist who as Sasquatch was a member of Alpha Flight, performed an experiment in molecular rearrangement upon Beaubier which altered her superhuman abilities. It brought about three specific changes. First, it enabled her to create a bright light without being in physical contact with her brother Northstar. Second, it greatly reduced the potential limits of her superhuman speed. Third, according to Langkowski, it made it impossible for present day technology to detect that she is a mutant."

...And..

"It was once theoretically possible for her to reach 99% of the speed of light (286,272 miles per second in a vacuum), although she never traveled at anywhere near that speed since if she did, she would wreak great damage upon herself end her environment. Dr. Langkowski's actions in molecularly restructuring Aurora's body greatly reduced the potential limits of her speed."

"However, Dr. Walter Langkowski's molecular restructuring of her body has enabled her to generate light on her own."

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Aurora and Northstar's Master Edition Handbook profiles...both say Durability: Enhanced Human...

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12...auroraback.jpg

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12...thstarback.jpg

Granted, this is before they were altered by Weapon X and the Hand respectively. However...I've seen/read nothing that suggests Aurora's skin is any harder than Northstar's.

Dana

I remembered this quote, but it's not in the same context I was thinking it was in.

"As a side effect of partially robbing her molecules of their atomic motion, the binding forces within and between the molecules increase. This enhances the sheer toughness of Aurora's entire body. This effect gives her skin enough durability to withstand the ravages of wind, friction and air turbulence. Aurora's costume is made of special materials to enable it to withstand these conditions as well."

I have those scans as well, I just remembered this quote wrong and 198 files said she had tough skin while her brother didn't. In the X-Men Encyclopedia it has them with normal durability. Yesh! The handbooks are way to inconsistent.

OOPSIE! Double post! Please forgive...

Dana

No...as I said, there can be variations within that rating.
    Eh? I never said they would fly at the same speed, I even posted a scan that proved they didn't. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    No...as I said, there can be variations within that rating.
    Eh? I never said they would fly at the same speed, I even posted a scan that proved they didn't. *shrugs*
    I never said you did say that, KM...*shrugs* too.

Dana

Does anyone know who runs the OHOTMU Master Edition site (UnfluffyBunny?) or how to contact them?
    I just wanted to say that I can't find the front of of the "White Bishop" card/thing, both links lead to the back (I don't have that issue in my collection yet, it's in #19)...And since the White Bishop is Donald Pierce, I want to see the leader of the Reavers. The same problem with Namor, you can read the text on the back, but can't pull up the scan on topside.
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

From AF v1#1, the thought balloon where Northstar stated Aurora could fly farther but not faster always intrigued me. It did seem to be a seed for a potential story if Byrne wanted to go there in the future. In many ways it seemed an arbitrary, throw-away line to slightly differentiate the twins. I always figured that Byrne's story of Langkowski's alteration of Aurora proved that theory. Aurora could still move fast, but could generate light on her own, thus differentiating their powers.

Aurora was showing off during this scene, calling Northstar slow. He suggested conserving their energy for the fight ahead. She was certainly acting like she did not know that Northstar could move faster than her.

This aspect of the twins' powers always intrigued me.

Why did Northstar know he could go faster but Aurora presumably did not?

Could he go faster because he had practiced and tested his powers independently more often than Aurora had attempted. That Northstar independently tested his powers also works to redefine the presumed suicide attempt in Volume 2 as a test gone badly.

As of AF#1, why hadn't Northstar ever let Aurora know he could fly faster? Was he being overly defensive in making sure he could trump her in a potential future adversary, or was he stroking his sister's fragile ego?

A lot of the questions have to be taken in the original context, before Aurora's alteration. They have have clearly changed since then, and if anything, seem to share from a pool of powers, as evidenced by Aurora's "healing" of NS in #50 and his subsequent ability to generate light aline, and when he later restored her powers with his own circa #85.

And if they do share each other's powers, does the use of an aspect of their powers by one twin limit the simultaneous use of the same power by the other? I.E. if Aurora is generating her most powerful light and Northstar uses his light powers, does Aurora suddenly dim? If Northstar is flying at full in-gravity speed and Aurora suddenly takes high speed flight, does Northstar slow down?

There's SOOOO much untapped potential in these characters!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    From AF v1#1, the thought balloon where Northstar stated Aurora could fly farther but not faster always intrigued me.

I just took it as male pride and bravado.

Wouldn't pride have dictated that he MADE SURE she knew he was faster?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

From AF v1#1, the thought balloon where Northstar stated Aurora could fly farther but not faster always intrigued me.

Aurora was showing off during this scene, calling Northstar slow. He suggested conserving their energy for the fight ahead. She was certainly acting like she did not know that Northstar could move faster than her.

I always liked that scene but for me it was informative about the twin powers and their personality.

Why Northstar is faster and Aurora as more endurance? Easy, gender, Nortstar is a man and Aurora is a woman. In pure strenght a women rarely equals a man but in endurance, well it's another matter. I don't have examples or anything but it's what my brother and I comcluded.

As for Aurora not knowning that fact, I think she did, she just did not care. It was showing us how impulsive and careless Aurora could be.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Hmmm. So how exactly did Northstar measure his speed in relation to his sisters without her knowledge? Presumably they were both clocked by Department H? And Northstar soughtt he information out while sis. didn't care?

Seems kinda strange that Aurora has greater endurance than Northstar though, regardless of the relative advantages/disadvantages of gender. Afterall, Northstar was a world class athlete, with plenty of reason to be in prime shape. Aurora on the other hand is a headcase, who wasn't all that athletic of a person regardless of which person she happened to be at the time.

Fishy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Hmmm. So how exactly did Northstar measure his speed in relation to his sisters without her knowledge? Presumably they were both clocked by Department H? And Northstar soughtt he information out while sis. didn't care?
    Sorry, I did not expressed myself very clearly.She did not care to use too much power before the fight, not that she did not knew and did not care about the power difference with her brother. I think she knows the difference about them, but just wanted to have fun and the difference must not be very big.

Seems kinda strange that Aurora has greater endurance than Northstar though, regardless of the relative advantages/disadvantages of gender. Afterall, Northstar was a world class athlete, with plenty of reason to be in prime shape. Aurora on the other hand is a headcase, who wasn't all that athletic of a person regardless of which person she happened to be at the time.
    world class athlete with powers, which can but a ???? on was he exactly on prime shape? I think Northstar was in shape, but the departement H training put Aurora at the same top shape level Northstar was.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Wouldn't pride have dictated that he MADE SURE she knew he was faster?
    In my opinion, no, because that would involve hurting his sister's feelings.