Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not Alpha Flight it's...

Default It's not Alpha Flight it's...

The Canadian Shield.

Oh, and Phil you had a burglary? Looks like some of your property in there.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Interesting, so it was Claremont that came up with the name "Weapon Alpha" and "Vindicator" and not Byrne. I like the name Canadian Shield too.

MM

My buddy once offered that name for a team in one of our old rpg's. It seemed to have Canadian superteam written all over it.

when I was about 12 or 13, shortly after I first got into comics - and WAY before I ever heard of Alpha Flight - i had created my own (knock-off) team by the same name. Weird how things like that happen.

For me it was because I was living in Yellowknife at the time, right on the exposed Shield that it's named for. Oddly, I had mine based of the Avengers as well, much like how Alpha is the Canadian version of them (and NOT an X-team like people like to presume).
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I remember reading about the history behind the naming for the team and Mac. I'm pretty sure Byrne described some of that backstory in the letters page of issue 1 - although, it read a lot more pleasant than some of his recent responses regarding Alpha.

I also noticed the swipe of Phil's animated avatars. It would have been nice if the guy gave Phil some props when he was asked where it was from.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mvranas
    although, it read a lot more pleasant than some of his recent responses regarding Alpha.
    -Mike
    What are some of his recent responses regarding Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by mvranas
    although, it read a lot more pleasant than some of his recent responses regarding Alpha.
    -Mike
    What are some of his recent responses regarding Alpha?
    "I didn't have much fun doing ALPHA FLIGHT, and don't consider that series among my best work. ... I have no desire to go back, whatever stars might shine upon me." JB

Now, I say recent, but this post is almost a year old. It's also been been discussed in another AW thread.

Y'know, the one thing I don't understand, though, is that nobody on the Byrne forum even responded to it. Not even an 'oh, that's too bad.'

Oh well, as much as I would love to see Byrne back on Alpha or FF, I doubt it will ever happen. And, part of me thinks it's for the best. I've watched some old TV shows I loved as a kid and they don't really hold up all that well. My expectations would be too high.

I honestly don't know if I would have read a book called "The Canadian Shield". Alpha Flight the title was one of the first things that lured me to the comic.

Alpha Flight as a name gives a bit of mystery, Canadian Shield sounds too much like they work for SHIELD or that they are there just to keep people out. I like Alpha Flight better but Canadian Shield is one that would have grown on me, just not right away.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Canadian Shield sounds a little plumby IMO, 'The 49th Paralell' (sp) kinda appeals if it hadn't been Alpha Flight, (but I guess there would have been copyright problems )
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Canadian shield make it sound like a kind of condom or just but Canadian the only canadian team, makes it redondant(you know say the same stuff twice) and that sound overly patriotic in the kitch way
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

The Canadian Shield would sound better for a single hero's name(sort of a Captain America-like hero)...as opposed to a group name.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I offered this up in another post, but I would love to see the team renamed: The Northguard. Sounds more accurate as to what the team is all about IMO. Also more dramatic and descriptive. After all you have The Fantastic Four; The Avengers; The Defenders, even The X-men has a cool ring to it, but Alpha Flight (I think) leaves most people scratching their heads as to what it's all about. If anything comes of this "final battle" fiasco I hope it's a name change to help revive the franchise.

A name for a Candian hero or supergroup that I've had on the back-burner for awhile is the Peacekeeper/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I offered this up in another post, but I would love to see the team renamed: The Northguard. Sounds more accurate as to what the team is all about IMO. Also more dramatic and descriptive. After all you have The Fantastic Four; The Avengers; The Defenders, even The X-men has a cool ring to it, but Alpha Flight (I think) leaves most people scratching their heads as to what it's all about. If anything comes of this "final battle" fiasco I hope it's a name change to help revive the franchise.
    Wasn't there an Indy comics character named Northguard?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.