Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight: The Movie

When it comes to Guardian and Vindicator - Mac is dead. Heather Hudson is the new Guardian/Vindicator. I think Alpha Flight only needs one or the other, not both.

For an AF movie, Mac is an important part of the backstory, but the movie story should be about Heather.

This comes down simply to my personal preferences. I prefer an AF led by Heather. To me, an Alpha Flight around her, Shaman, and Sasquatch is the perfect blend of she/he/thing that a small hero team needs.

I'm simply partial to small hero teams. I think part of the reason AF hasn't been a great sucess over the years is: too many heroes in one team.

Canada doesn't need the enormous X-Men, it needs the Fantastic Four.

If AF needs a fourth member, it would be Puck, not Mac or Northstar or anyone else.

I realize this is my personal revisionism. I'm just not too attached to most non-Byrne AF stuff. When Byrne killed Mac, for me it killed him for good.

I think the greatest flaws in AF over the years has been trying to resurrect Mac, not appreciating how cool Heather is, and adding other boring heroes. (Yukon Jack? Flex? Murmur? Man-Bot? Major Mapleleaf? Give me a break!)

I think if there could be a good AF movie, a necessary tenet would be: Keep It Simple, Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    I was going to make a suggestion for Q'Orianka Kilcher(Pocahontas, The New World) as Talisman but I guess she's actually german and not to mention only 15. I thought she may have been a little older, I haven't seen the film
    There's no way she's only 15.

Regardless, she's beautiful. She would be great as Snowbird or Talisman.

Yep, she's only 15.
    this is taken from imdb.com

Q'Orianka Kilcher

Date of birth (location)
    11 February 1990
    Schweigmait, Germany

Granted, she does look like she could play someone who is 19 or 20

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Q'Orianka Kilcher?
    Never heard of her.
    But she is -so- Talisman!

I thought Annakin's fall was handled very shoddily, and he didn't have the positive motives he needed. He went from 'I want to save my secret wife' to 'I'll gladly slaughter a roomful of younglings, because apparently the SWG doesn't have children' in a matter of minutes.
    I'm not going to say that's unrealistic, but it was very poorly handled.

But, your point is taken; it's a basic premise of writing: Every villain believes they're good.

That said, I still don't think Nemesis is evil enough. At least, not the Byrne version. (NB: Byrne's Nem is my favourite character. Period. ...okay, maybe Daniel Grey, but none of you have ever heard of him.)

I've been reading your detailed, very thought-out movie premise as if it were in continuity, because it reads that way to me. But, yes, I've noticed there's never been a single in-continuity comic book movie.
    So I want AF to be the first. So shoot me.

- Le Messor
    "Draw your salary before spending it."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    I thought Annakin's fall was handled very shoddily, and he didn't have the positive motives he needed. He went from 'I want to save my secret wife' to 'I'll gladly slaughter a roomful of younglings, because apparently the SWG doesn't have children' in a matter of minutes.
    I'm not going to say that's unrealistic, but it was very poorly handled.
    The explanation lies in A New Hope: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

Anakin isn't just converted, he's "brain-washed." As Obi-Wan observes later: "You've allowed this dark lord to twist your mind..." Which echoes the line from Return of the Jedi: "twisted and evil."

Yoda observes that Anakin's mind is "twisted by the dark side." He is no longer Anakin, he is a different person: Vader.

When Anakin says: "I will do anything you ask, just help me save Padme's life.." - he is completely surrendering his will over to Palpatine. And Palpatine then sticks his "tendrils" in...

Watch the scene of Anakin's conversion again. See the look on Anakin's face as he drops to his knees? He's being manipulated by the Force. Listen to Palpatine's voice: the vocal distortion indicates the Force-influence Anakin hears in his head. He is utterly mesmerized.

That horrible breathing noise Palpatine makes: that's Palpatine sucking the free will out of Anakin. The next look you see on Anakin's face: pure evil.

Palpatine uses the dark side to twist Anakin from "mostly good" to "mostly evil."

Vader can still feel guilt for his actions (we see him cry), but he cannot control his actions. As he tells Luke: "I must obey my master!"

That's why he is so ready to slaughter children after being converted.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    Yep, she's only 15.
    this is taken from imdb.com
    Apparently, she is the second cousin of Jewel Kilcher.

I think I prefer her as Snowbird now. She just seems right.

Spot on choices with the Station Agent guy as Puck, Sarah Polley as Heather.

How about Milla Jovovich as Aurora?

One question I had, beyond just actor choices is the decision of preference of reality against CGI. The big question for me would be how to manage Sasquatch in his changed appearance. The suggestion has already been made for a prosthetic suit and CGI, but I'm still not quite settled on that... I was majorly disappointed with Ben Grimm in the Fantastic Four movie, although other applications have been equally disappointing...

Marvel Failure in Costuming
    Marvel Failure in CGI
    Marvel Mediocrity in Fusion

So what to do, what to do?
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

I think a non-CGI Sasquatch would be a mistake. If he isn't leaping around like an orangutan it won't be him.

I also thought the CGI Hulk was great! The Hulk vs the tanks was great stuff, and really funny. (Kinda outta place in such a slow-moving film.)

Hollywood has managed to make some great CGI apes (King Kong, anyone?) so not going CGI would just be dumb.

I think a guy-in-a-suit could work for some stuff, but really the actor would be too immobile for the action.

With respect to Sasquatch as being suited as a CGI character....I dunno, it seems to be a toss up.

I think going with CGI is ultimately a liability when it comes to dating the movie fairly quickly (for any disbelievers--go back and watch The Mummy Returns for the Scorpion King's appearance at the end of the film). It's best used when the audience isn't going to see much in terms of detail; ideally for faster paced shots in action sequences.

Ideally, you'd probably want to make the character a little of both (CGI for action sequences and costuming for regular shots) like Nightcrawler in X2. I'm especially intrigued at the way Kelsey Grammar looks as Beast for the upcoming X3 movie. Case in point; I'm pretty sure they will be using CGI work for his action sequences even though in the promo shots they are clearly showing him in a costume.

....as for my pick for an AF movie character?

Here's a bit of a longshot but how 'bout Canadian Olympic Curling Skip Shannon Kleibrink? While not an actor, she can make up for it by the fact that she actually hails from Okhotoks AB, near Heather's home town of High River........

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/200...ink1_59633.jpg

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/ar...1kleibrink.jpg
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way" -- Juan Ramon Jimenez, Nobel laureate in literature 1956, Spain. (Epigraph of Fahrenheit 451)

I just got done watching the ultimate avengers movie and I thought "why not try to get marvel to go in that route for an Alpha Flight movie?". I mean, hell there going to release a Doctor Strange animated feature on feb 2007, why not to get them to look at AF vol1 for 2008

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

CG vs. suit...

Should be both. Suit where possible, CG where -necessary-. Never overuse CG! (And, remember, I'm trying to get a job in the CG industry as I say this!)

Sas could be great if combined right.

The original FF movie: Deeply flawed. But that story, with today's FX and the budget of the second movie, would be a far, far better movie than that was.

The Hulk? Sucked in that movie. I loved him in Shrek.

- Le Messor.
    "Dyslexics Of The World - Untie!"

I didn't know Evangeline Lilly was Canadian until now.

She could make a great Narya/Sas II, or Heather.

I think Lilly as Narya and Warren as Heather are the best choices.

BTW, I saw Beowulf and Grendel the other day. I can now say I think Sarah Polley could look the part of Heather, but her acting in that movie was so flat I don't think I could forgive her.

Beowulf and Grendel, I haven't seen that, when was it made? I've only seen Sarah Polley in Baron Munchausen and Dawn of the Dead. I didn't really care for the movie Dawn of the Dead but I thought she did a good job acting.
    Rockin' Roll Martian!!!