Thread: (Not-so) Extreme Make-Over: Alpha Flight Edition?!?!

Default (Not-so) Extreme Make-Over: Alpha Flight Edition?!?!

I was just reading iss.122 and I at last noticed ... Heather has become as glamour babe. Now, I can understand how moving from a desk to the field would go a long way in toning her body, and sure, I suppose that the right hair-style and make-up job can work "wonders" -- not that there is anything at all wrong with Jamie Lee Curtis-type Heather -- but did she get a boob job or is that a push up bra or perhaps some function of her suit?!?!?

I mean, I'm most familair with early Heather. And I actually liked her that way. Vol.1, Issue 14 ... wooo - hooo!! But eventually it seems she got the full Hollywood make over, something that just doesn't seem very "Heather".

Hmm.

That's Pat Broderick for you Look at the dishplate pecks on all the guys, and even little Laura Dean had a bigger chest than most real women, and she was only 12 or so.

Ben

heh, welcome to the early 90's: where not only did the guys get big guns (ala Cable, Wyre, Bishop), but so did the girls!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

LOL! Yes, the 1990s was the decade of the overly overwrought top heavy femme fatales. I lost count of the number of super-heroines who charged/flew/leapt into battle with only body paint and super-proportions to defend them against the vilest of villains.

It was rather strange to see Heather fall victim to this kind of 'extreme makeover' - I think Mignola buffed her up a bit, Jim Lee turned her into a tall, leggy red-head, and Mike Bair turned her into a Playboy model wearing red and white body paint. Broderick.. nuff said? The only other regular artist (apart from Byrne) who drew her as a normally proportioned 30-something woman was John Calimee. ;-/

By the time Heather appeared in AF vol#2, she did not look in any way like the Heather Hudson we knew and loved from Vol #1.

On a more interesting note, I believe that in Vol #1, #14 or #15, Heather actually takes her top off (to dive into the water) revealing a (thankfully) proportioned female torso.

What about Madison Jeffries?
    Though I never noticed if his breast size enlarged, he went from homely crooked-nosed ditch digger to Canad'a most eligible bachelor pretty quick.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Though I never noticed if his breast size enlarged, he went from homely crooked-nosed ditch digger to Canad'a most eligible bachelor pretty quick.
    Not to mention Mac, who went from a well-developed 180/190 lbs to an over developed 230 lbs. I guess "they" started feeding him the same steriod filled meat that Scott "Slim Jim" Summers ate to go from a, errrr, slim, ummm, jim, to a muscle beach heavy weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Not to mention Mac, who went from a well-developed 180/190 lbs to an over developed 230 lbs. I guess "they" started feeding him the same steriod filled meat that Scott "Slim Jim" Summers ate to go from a, errrr, slim, ummm, jim, to a muscle beach heavy weight.
    Cannonball had the same thing. He was tall and tin(sp?) no muscle power and look now.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

You could say that super-heroing is the ideal beauty treatment. Go from zero to hero in only 20 issues.

I liked her better when she was sort of a bookish looking geek, it was a breath of freash air in a comic franchise where ever girl is a super-model and there were no FAT WOMEN EVER!!! Excluding Pink Peral, but she's a special case.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    Excluding Pink Peral, but she's a special case.
    ... you also have Big Bertha from GLA/Lightning Rods/GLX fame, and Miss Mass from Omega Flight II, but who's counting :P

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    Excluding Pink Peral, but she's a special case.
    ... you also have Big Bertha from GLA/Lightning Rods/GLX fame, and Miss Mass from Omega Flight II, but who's counting :P
    Oh yeah, that's right, hmmm... (thinks to himself, stroking his chin)

But Bertha was a super model wasn't she, and she had to like, do something to get thin, was it throw up... that don't seem right...

So the only fat super-hero girl was actually really thin. They need more overweight super-heros, though I'm sure the lifestyle doesn't agree with obesity. Oh well.

I think Julesville may have inadvertently created a super-hero/super-villain codename there: The Pink Peril, cousin to the Red Peril and the Yellow Peril. Yes, I know this is OT but I couldn't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney
    I think Julesville may have inadvertently created a super-hero/super-villain codename there: The Pink Peril, cousin to the Red Peril and the Yellow Peril. Yes, I know this is OT but I couldn't help it.
    *sigh* Seng, Seng, Seng... we've covered this... DON'T encourage them!! You'll only make them worse...

I have to agree with Kozzi here. During Bryne's run, it looked like Madison had his nose broken like a dozen times, and let's not go into the "Moe" haircut.

And I always did like the "girl next door" Heather in the earlier days than the red-headed bombshell she turned into.