Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puck Durability Feats?

Default Puck Durability Feats?

Anyone think of any instances where Puck with his new body has shown to be metahuman durable such as withstanding extreme changes in pressure, temperature and powerful attacks.

Just want some examples to show his durability

In Vol 1 #100 he gets caught in an explosion before jumping in front of a laser to protect Black Widow. In both cases he was unharmed.

Awesome good find, anymore?

Thanks for the scan as well

After vol. 1 they never mentioned again Puck's durability, so if there are any more they would be in vol. 1

Zeke

Yeah in the later handbooks they say he has normal durability
    ========
    Question: Can anyone find information on compressed rubber? everytime I try to do a search product lines come up, not information on the actual product. Like want to know how well compressed rubber holds up to pressure and temperature

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Question: Can anyone find information on compressed rubber? everytime I try to do a search product lines come up, not information on the actual product. Like want to know how well compressed rubber holds up to pressure and temperature
    Actually, you were looking in the right places, but have to read a bit for the information you want. I can't find anything that deals SPECIFICALLY with the criteria you want, but it's there in context.

Take a look at http://www.quickcutgasket.com/materials.html for ideas as to what compressed rubber CAN do, in variating forms.

For example

SBR (BUNA S):
    SBR is a copolymer of styrene and butadiene and has properties similar to natural rubber. It has greater abrasion resistance than natural rubber, better wear resistance and better low temperature flexibility. Though superior in water resistance to natural rubber, it has about the same resistance to solvents and chemicals. It has better heat resistance and heat aging qualities than natural rubber, and in excess heat it hardens and becomes brittle instead of softening as does natural rubber. Resistance to sunlight and ozone is similar to natural rubber. The temperature range of SBR is -55˚C to +70˚C (-67˚F to +158˚F).
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Yeah I found the exact same website, but wasn't sure what form would be best for his metahuman body.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...-1_cover_b.jpg
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...n-01-PuckB.jpg

A temperature range of -55˚C to +70˚C (-67˚F to +158˚F), goes with the profile extreme temperatures.

Thanks

I don't think you're gonna fine the EXACT perfect material to imolate for enhansed human flesh.... you might be forced to mix'n'match
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    I don't think you're gonna fine the EXACT perfect material to imolate for enhansed human flesh.... you might be forced to mix'n'match
    That's what I was having trouble with, I wasn't sure which areas I should mix with each other. Well for Puck being invulnerable he sure has taken some shots that should not have effected him.

Puck's invulnerable/super-durable/compressed-rubber body was retconned out of existence by Steve Seagle in Vol #2. In an issue, the Alpha jet crashes and Puck emerges with a cut. I wrote to Seagle (who was then active online and I had been in contact with him for the AlphaScope e-zine) to ask about this and he more or less said: "ignore the whole Raazer, invulnerable Puck thing from Vol #1" - to which I was rather thankful.

I guess Puck is now back to the way he was in AF Vol #1.

Yep that's dumb; you can't just ignore the past like that. I thought it was great that he was metahuman and I still consider him metahuman.

Na, I'm of the "leave Puck as he was created by Byrne" school of thought. Hence, I felt that the Raazer episode really cheapened the character and his gaining super powers was kinda contrary to the spirit of the original character - a guy who's had to fight against his own dwarfism and yet was able to become a super hero purely from his own combat skills, experience and sheer guts. It was only under Mantlo that he turned into this whingeing "oh woe is me I have no super powers and am the weakest member of Alpha which means I can't win Heather's love" loser.

Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney
    Na, I'm of the "leave Puck as he was created by Byrne" school of thought. Hence, I felt that the Raazer episode really cheapened the character and his gaining super powers was kinda contrary to the spirit of the original character - a guy who's had to fight against his own dwarfism and yet was able to become a super hero purely from his own combat skills, experience and sheer guts. It was only under Mantlo that he turned into this whingeing "oh woe is me I have no super powers and am the weakest member of Alpha which means I can't win Heather's love" loser.
    Oh Razer was dumb, no way am I even saying that was justified. However, having Puck with super strength and durability gave the little guy some credibility in a wider Marvel universe rather than a dwarf with aerobatics. He could go toe to toe with some tough people, and Puck made the sacrifice of being a dwarf for the rest of his life, but he didn't know he would have gotten super powers at that moment in the Master's lair. Puck is still the same hero, just more fuel to the fire with his abilities...uhhh did Mantlo hate Puck or something?

From what I understand from an old interview with Hudnall, Mantlo wanted to eventually replace Byrne's AF with his own team of heroes he created for a title that didn't get the green light at Marvel. Presumably, these heroes comprised of Manikin, the Purple Girl, Goblyn, Laura Dean and Wanda Langkowski. This could be why he went and virtually destroyed all the original AF characters.

I guess re: Puck's durability - I liked it too for the same reasons you outlined but felt that it sort of watered down the character's integrity. Still, I wish Nicieza had done more with it -- or rather that more had been done visually with it. All we got to see was Puck using his super-durable body as a shield, or even as a veritabel 'puck', bowling opponents over. Nothing too different from what's been done in the past.

By the way, did Vol #3 eventually explain Female Puck's powers? She was meant to be Judd's daughter right?

Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney
    By the way, did Vol #3 eventually explain Female Puck's powers? She was meant to be Judd's daughter right?
    No, they didn't explain anything about Puck II's powers, and, yes they did say she was his daughter.
    btw, they hinted Raazer (or something similar)in the X-men/AF LS when Madolyne healed Puck, was that Mantlo already