Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 198 FILES SPOILERS!!!

Default 198 FILES SPOILERS!!!

NORTHSTAR, PERSUASION, AND DIAMOND LIL ARE ALL STILL POWERED. *glee*

Well, yeah, but we already knew that from the preview pages.

I'm surprised they mentioned Persuasion. Maybe it means thay're going to bring her back (probably).

Zeke

Awesome! Looks like at least some of the older Alpha Characters are getting some props. These are all Volume 1 characters, too. Kinda validates what a lot of us have been saying all along...."if you're gonna put something called Alpha Flight on the stands, why not have Alpha Flight characters in the comic?" Hopefully this event will lead to better more character focused stories with good team dynamics, like we saw back in the 80s. I find it hard to believe that new readers can't get interested in the likes of Vindicator, Sasquatch, Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird, Shaman, Puck, Guardian, Box, Talisman, Persuasion, Diamond Lil, Jefferies, and the like. I'm sure any new Canadian readers would be chomping at the bit to read about Vindicator/Guardian/Mac! A lot of folks buy for the artwork, but let's be honest here, the are comic BOOKS! If the story isn't good no one will read them. They'd call them comic portfolios if they were only about great art and flashy characters. Maybe we're seeing a reverse in the trend to provide sytle over substance finally. Give us back the tried and true characters and slip a newbie in every once in awhile.

barnacle, writing has always been underrated by the people in charge. it used to be that if business wasn't good they'd pay the writers less, or so I've heard(though that was on television).

Zeke

To me, comics are about the art first and foremost.Good plots and good writing are important too, but when I pick up a comic it is for the visual experience. If I want good literature I'll pick up Shakespeare or something, which contends with the best of comic stories and blows pretty well all others clear out of the water. But when it comes to comics, the art drives the book, and the plot and writing help carry it along.

I stopped collecting comics back in the 90's precisely because the art absolutely stank ... with "blockmen" characters that my 5 year old son could draw. These days, while comics are grabbing my attention again, I"m still loathe to invest because I have no confidence in quality control and I hate being strung along by a decent story when the art sucks muucho-suckable-things and the price keeps going up.

Full list is: Aurora, Diamond Lil,Madison Jeffries, Northstar, Persuasion

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    To me, comics are about the art first and foremost.Good plots and good writing are important too, but when I pick up a comic it is for the visual experience. If I want good literature I'll pick up Shakespeare or something, which contends with the best of comic stories and blows pretty well all others clear out of the water. But when it comes to comics, the art drives the book, and the plot and writing help carry it along.

I stopped collecting comics back in the 90's precisely because the art absolutely stank ... with "blockmen" characters that my 5 year old son could draw. These days, while comics are grabbing my attention again, I"m still loathe to invest because I have no confidence in quality control and I hate being strung along by a decent story when the art sucks muucho-suckable-things and the price keeps going up.
    I won't argue the value of great art. Volume 2 was a failure in that department. Stories weren't bad, but the art stunk. Volume 3 was the opposite side of that coin. The art rocked, but the stories stank. Even with crappy art Volume 2 lasted far longer than Volume 3. Call me cynical, but I think folks want both good art and good stories for their hard earned dollars. Otherwise, why would we all be here *****ing about continuity flaws and poor characterization of our favorite characters?

There's a disclaimor on the opening page that "these are the earliest confirmed figures" so no one is definitely de-powered by their exclusion in the book.
    I personally was wondering about Purple Man.
    I thought some of the patterns were odd. All of the Mauraders still seem to have powers, oddly enough. The other patterns were clear politics. All of Grant Morrison's X-Men characters seem to have been spared, as are characters created by Alan Davis, including Micromax and Kylun.

Whoever at Marvel approved the dark blue "hyperlink" style against a black background should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY. All but unreadable!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Full list is: Aurora, Diamond Lil,Madison Jeffries, Northstar, Persuasion
    Hooray for Box!

Maybe he can be in Alpha Flight again!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Hooray for Box!

Maybe he can be in Alpha Flight again!
    It's possible that's if Alpha Flight is still around after Bendis, oh and here is their threat levels

Madison Jeffries- High
    Aurora- Significant
    Northstar- Significant
    Persuasion- Significant
    Diamond Lil- General

Goes from: Severe, High, Significant, General, and Low

Hi everyone,

Sorry just to jump right in on a conversation. I have been reading this site recently since so many things related to Alpha Flight have been happening. (The mutant depowering and Bendis' Last Battle) I knew this site would have the best info and news for anything Alpha Flight related. I have been a HUGE Alpha Flight fan for a long time.

I picked up the 198 files today. Although I was excited to see several Alphans listed, why did they list Persuasion? I was hoping since the coloring issue gave her a Neverland reprieve, that she would not have been listed as incarcerated. In fact, why list any of the Neverland mutants if they won't tell us what really happened to them? I know Marvel has always had a problem with continuity, but they have really gotten bad lately. My favorite character is Goblyn (imagine that, lol).

I would have hoped we would have gotten an update on what happened to her and Laura. Marvel should do a text listing of depowered mutants. (Besides the erroneous Wizard one)

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    It's possible that's if Alpha Flight is still around after Bendis, oh and here is their threat levels

Madison Jeffries- High
    Aurora- Significant
    Northstar- Significant
    Persuasion- Significant
    Diamond Lil- General

Goes from: Severe, High, Significant, General, and Low
    I disagree with the threat levels for Northstar and Aurora; I think they both should have been bumped up a notch. A super-speedster with flight capabilities and a chip on his shoulder should be horrifying. As much as I *hated* what Millar did to Northstar, I thought he was at least a logical choice to use as an assassain -- given his capabilities, Northstar could start at the ground floor of the UN unarmed and have everyone in the building dead before anyone even knew to send out a call for help. Then the story wussed out in the delivery and I went back to complete loathing of the whole idea.

But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Alpha Flight mutants were mostly spared and even more so that Kylun and Micromax made the cut. Maybe Claremont plans to use 'em over in the new old Excalibur.

Suzene

Welcome, Verletzt!

Me, a Box and Feedback and Nemesis and Witchfire and Windshear and Zuzha and... fan. Box is still my #1. Good to see him there, hope he gets in Alpha Flight!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.