Poll: Do you like the M-Day idea?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decimation: The M-Day Story Arc

Default Decimation: The M-Day Story Arc

This whole Decimation story arc is, in my illustrious opinion, is stupid. Why must the Mutants suffer?!?!

I don't like this idea of returning Mutant-kind to it's roots of being a weird aberration, and not an evolutionary step.

I loved the idea of it being a the next step for humanity, that it was a new struggle for a minority, Mutant Town and Valle Soleada were cool ideas. The potential and metafor for real life was great.

And now it's all supposed to be gone. I think it's dumb, now mutants are a dieing race, and what are the X-Men supposed to do anyway, fight crime? Laaaaaaaaaaame...

Here's my question: Do you think M-Day will remain or get taken off? If enough people think it's stupid, then it could be retconned, right. If it was Scarlet Witch's powers that did it, she could potential undo it, sure she lost her powers, but she could get them back magically or something...

It's too late for them to go back...the genie has been out of the bottle too long. Maybe instead of depowering most of the mutants...just put a cap on creating new ones....how many hndreds of mutants have appeared? Just use those mutants.

Joke Quesada would rather depower many of those who've appeared already and then throw a few new ones(yes...they have created more new mutants...frikken ridiculous)...to keep the comics "fresh"...whatever. Why not develop the characters of some of the hordes of already introduced mutants....isn't that "fresh"?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

It won't be going back, no matter what people say, that doesn't stop it from completely stupid. I do agree the whole mutant thing was getting out of hand, but there were a million ways to fix it than this revolting cop-out deus ex machina. We've gotten a few really awesome stories out of it, but that doesn't stop the idea itself from being utterly revolting.

I’m under the opinion of “no more mutant characters”. However, I am not of the opinion of, “Let’s get rid of all the characters we have!”. Marvel has somewhat focused it’s entire lineup with mutants the past few recent years and it’s getting annoying, but their solution is even worst. There’s a simply way of trying to avoid the whole mutant problem. Just don’t write about mutants. Stop creating a gazillion mutants. Write about the characters you have, and quit writing about dark and depressing stuff in all the damn comics.

I liked the whole dynamic of having powers and using powers. Young mutants, no matter how normal they wanted to be, had to chose between using their powers for good or for personal profit. The decisions, as the mutant population increased became an epidemic. The first mutants became super-professionals like the X-Men and the Brotherhood; but the kids would be interesting to watch, like how Kid Omega idolized magneto.

I'd like to see all the mutants get back their powers, maybe through an epic storyline, where a clandistine villain group of mutants want to restore all the powers of mutants. And not just classic villians, but notable good guys that beleive the world needs it's population of mutants. They combine resources and decide to go after the Scarlet Witch, kidnaping her.

Her "buddies" are quick to act; combing Avengers, X-Men, and Magneto (maybe Generation M if it turns out it's a teams). The bad dudes experiment on Wanda, but are interrupted constantly from doing their work, by the "Coalition", so they have to keep moving her.

Each time the Coalition is thwarted, leaving them to contemplate the Bad Dudes' backers, which could potentialy include a whole sluew of big deal bad muthas; the High Evolutionary, Mr. Sinsiter, AIM, the works.

Wanda (who I think is amnesiatic and without powers) will, through excessive tampering regain her powers in yet another maddening episode. In this arc, brothers will kill brothers, scores will be settled, vendettas renewed, and finally, to save mankind, someone will have to... KILL WANDA!!!!

Then all the powers will come back, yay!

What do ya think?

Jules, if that is what ACTUALLY happens, then I want you to pick out my next lotto numbers, because that actually sounds VERY reasonable...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I think the idea of M-day is okay, but it would have been better if non-mutant superbeings lost their powers too. or maybe if some alien species would lose their powers and then come and attack earth or something like that. Or better yet, a entire other dimension (like the Beyonders) would lose their powers. That way we could have a story of Captain America with no powers, that would be nice to see. Anyway, I'm wasting my life away. Good Day to you.

Zeke

They could have used it to cut more chaffe and get rid of some very convoluted characters such as Magma.
    The lack of any high profile X-Men being depowered is also disappointing.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I never liked mutants as evolutionary, it made so much better sense (and better stories) for them to be Children of the Atom Bomb et al.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

There's no need to kill Wanda, Julesville...don't you think the poor woman has had enough bad breaks? I miss the fun Wanda who could just alter probabilities, not warp all of reality...sigh.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Jules, if that is what ACTUALLY happens, then I want you to pick out my next lotto numbers, because that actually sounds VERY reasonable...
    I pride myself on my reasonablity. The whole Civil War arc is coming up, it may be something like that. Maybe the world will finally realise the value of Mutants to the world, and chose sides in a battle against those who can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    There's no need to kill Wanda, Julesville...don't you think the poor woman has had enough bad breaks? I miss the fun Wanda who could just alter probabilities, not warp all of reality...sigh.

Dana
    Wanda, poor Wanda, tortured soul, tragic heroine. Can you imagine giving birth and nuturing your children, just to find out they were figments in some demon's footnote to world domination. Just like that, not only is your whole family gone, but people start telling you it never existed, but how couldn't it? You loved your kids, you cared for them, felt the pain and joy of birthing them, held them against your heart and felt their warmth, felt their hearts. How could that have not been real? So sad... (sniff)...

I'd wanna blow up reality too, anything to take away the pain. How many people would I kill to bring them back? The people responsible, innocents, friends, family...

You bring up a good point, cmdrkoenig67, with the justified insanity that Wanda is going through, and the power she is able to inflict on the planet, can she ever be saved, made sane, or be happy again

I mean there have got to be a bunch of mutants pissed because their powerful abilities are now suddenly gone, the villians and street punks and what not. No one will be content to leave the one responsible alone...

Oh, don’t let me go on about the Scarlet Witch and Phoenix and the idea that women with amazing super powers will not be able to handle such powers in a sane and responsible manner. I suppose one can bring up that Xavier kid that brought about the whole AoA because of his nutcase super powers, but that kid was pretty much created for a plot device, not established characters. *Keeps far away from the wanna-be-feminist soap box* I think that's why I'm keen on Bryne era Elizabeth, she's powerful but didn't go batcrap insane.

More recently, the Sentry has been characterized on that power level, and also went insane.

Do the Pheonix and Scarlet Witch situations have to do with those all-powerful characters being women, or because they are HUMAN?

I don't remember any aspect of the stories themselves that concentrated on the inability to handle the power as having anything to do with the fact that the characters are female. Tenuously, you could claim Wanda's situation had to do with her stricken motherhood, but that's kind of a stretch from a more general loss of family.

I've heard the feminist perspective about the stories before, but always thought it at choice of interpretation rather than clear content in the stories.

I don't believe there was any such intent, consciously or unconsciously, on Claremont's part. He has handled female characters very well in general.

With Bendis, maybe there is some subconscious fanboy comic geek mentality to his work, judging by the rather inappropriate "Who would you bag?" by Hawkeye--in front of the woman he was sleeping with at the time--and the fact that the final betrayer of Scarlet Witch leading to her Chaos eruption was a female, the Wasp.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I was referring more to the revision of the Phoenix character, rather than Claremont's first conception of Phoenix. What Claremont did at the time was revolutionary, and he's written very strong female characters. I liked the idea that Jean-really-is-Phoenix. She knew she had committed crimes and her suicide was her way of 'atoning' for her crimes. When they made Jean the victim of a screwed up cosmic entity, they pretty much made it seems to me that the writers believed 'Women cannot handle true power'.

Bendis' depiction of Wanda as unstable might have squeaked by if it hadn't been for one thing; she gets no chance to redeem herself. She goes nuts, and is locked away and kept in a coma for the safety of the world, she gets out of this coma and goes nuts and manipulated by Pietro, and she goes nuts a third time, screwing up life as we know it and she goes MIA. She doesn’t gets a chance to redeem herself, and while this won't hold true forever, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And personally, waiting for years for her to redeem herself after a half ton of crossovers really isn't worth it.

I won't comment on Sentry since I haven't read it though I heard the short series about him was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyridona
    I was referring more to the revision of the Phoenix character, rather than Claremont's first conception of Phoenix. What Claremont did at the time was revolutionary, and he's written very strong female characters. I liked the idea that Jean-really-is-Phoenix. She knew she had committed crimes and her suicide was her way of 'atoning' for her crimes. When they made Jean the victim of a screwed up cosmic entity, they pretty much made it seems to me that the writers believed 'Women cannot handle true power'.

Bendis' depiction of Wanda as unstable might have squeaked by if it hadn't been for one thing; she gets no chance to redeem herself. She goes nuts, and is locked away and kept in a coma for the safety of the world, she gets out of this coma and goes nuts and manipulated by Pietro, and she goes nuts a third time, screwing up life as we know it and she goes MIA. She doesn’t gets a chance to redeem herself, and while this won't hold true forever, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And personally, waiting for years for her to redeem herself after a half ton of crossovers really isn't worth it.

I won't comment on Sentry since I haven't read it though I heard the short series about him was excellent.

Usually the men that adapt to enourmous powers become giants dicks who everybody hates, like Genis-Vell, that guy went waaaaaaaaaaaaaay crazy... and became a dick...

You know, it might be fun for all the super-heroes with galactic power to have some sort of conference or somthing.

Anyways, I don't think the power had anything to do with the madness, it was all because of outside influences; her kids, her husband, etc. THe power just made her own dementia our problem. IN fact, the things that lead to her snapping all occured before she become galacticly powerful. If none of that would have happen then maybe she'd have become an allmight force of good.

Then again, she was never really a strong character, she's been tossed between loyalties to her brother and father and the side fo good all her life.

It's interesting to see though, that with her powers, she could potentially heal herself. That's what she was doing esentially with the "House of M" thing, but it obviouslly didn't work. Now she just made herself amnisiatic. Maybe she still has the potential to right the wrongs she's done, she's like a giant "Refresh" button.