Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Child's full name, Kyle Gibney

Default Wild Child's full name, Kyle Gibney

When was Kyle's last name revealed, and where? I have many of his trading cards, and up to 1996 he was simply listed as "Kyle, last name unrevealed". The first time his full name appeared on a card, that I know of, was the 1996 Onslaught series, at which point he was with X-Factor. I can only guess, but I'm pretty sure it was Valerie Cooper who supplied the "Gibney". She re-told the whole (Most of it, Sabretooth revealed the parts she left out to make herself look better ) sordid story of her involvement in Kyle's past in X-Factor #142. Kyle forgave her after all he'd been through, but I never did ! Anyways, I believe his full name had already been revealed by that time.
    Can anyone help with this rather odd quest to find where the name Kyle Gibney first appeared?

Hmmm, I'd like to know that myself, darc_light. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt like there was a big connection between Sabretooth and Kyle...similar appearance, similar powers, similiar feral mutation that gave them violent tendencies....in alot of ways, he's like a smaller version of Sabretooth, just nowhere near as violent and murderous. I'd kinda like to see that connection explored...maybe "Creed" amd "Gibney" are just assumed last names for the both of them.

I'm not sure but I think it was revealed as Gibney when he was Weapon Omega. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Default Kyle was named Gibney ib X-Factor #142 flashback

In the flahback scene in X-Factor #142, the director of project at the Secret Empire base, Mr. Farrell, tells Valerie Cooper that the kid's name is Kyle Gibney, and this was before they'd messed him up...right after they'd kidnapped him. In that same issue, his name was given as Kyle Gibney in the little bio foldout page, so it was already known by that time.

In Marvel Comics Present #51 (#51-53 was "The Wilding" Arc), Wolverine mentions Kyle's "Old Man" as if he knew him, saying that he'd (Kyle's father) been able to control his bestial side, but this was never followed up due to changing writer syndrome...a short time later in X-Factor, the editor told someone who'd written in that Sabertooth was definetly NOT Kyle's father, but editors come and go. Maybe his mother's name was Gibney, and by choice or force she ended up with Sabertooth's child...the latter would really mess poor Kyle up. But if that were true, she'd likely not have kept him as long as she did, plus Kyle mentions in the flashback in X-Factor that his "parents", plural threw him out...

I have no idea what the truth is, when you're dealing with dozens of differant writers plots get lost, look what they did to poor X-Treme. Adam-X was all set up to be the third Summer's brother, the writer left, then they rip off his name for "X-Treme X-Men", and forget all about the character..

X-Factor #142 was the first time I heard it too. I remember being pissed off that they would invent a name all of a sudden. His connection with Sabertooth has been hinted at but never fully acknowledged.
    Way back in Vol 1 #116 Puck finds a file on Wild Child written by Mac which reads: "August 23, Am concerned about the introduction into the program (in my absence) of subject Kyle (no last name)..." In the next book Wyre reveals that Kyle (and others) were kidnapped off the streets and transformed into bestial killers using his DNA. No mention of Kyle's last name or even of him being a mutant. Something else that I thought was sprung on us in X-factor #142 though others say he was always a mutant.

Default Wild Child's name

I remember that issue. But Mac may not have known much about Kyle either, I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. the Govt. is known to Censor official paperwork for decades in really important or sensitive matters, and when they do release them, sometimes they'll have one or two words and the rest is blacked out. When Kyle went to see Nemesis in Alpha Flight #115, he was thinking to himself how she had offered to tell him about his past, but, at that time, as Wild Child he could have cared less. He also stated that he didn't even know If his name WAS Kyle., or if it was just made up by the people who'd used him over the years. He was brooding about being "A created person", just a pawn to anyone who came along.
    I agree with you on one thing, it seems like fans are the only people who kep track of character histories and storylines, often when new writers come in they alter characters dramatically, ignoring previous writer's work. [/i]

Which is why I have always maintained f*** the 'professional' writers! Start bringing in some of these fanfic writers! they've done their homework!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Default Re: Wild Child's name

Quote Originally Posted by darc_light
    I remember that issue. But Mac may not have known much about Kyle either, I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. the Govt. is known to Censor official paperwork for decades in really important or sensitive matters, and when they do release them, sometimes they'll have one or two words and the rest is blacked out.
    The point I was trying to make (and looking at my earlier post I realize I left this out) was that no one knew Kyle's last name not even the Secret Empire who kidnapped him. Wyre says the subjects were kidnapped off the streets "faceless and anonymous". So how does Farrell know? I doubt the Secret Empire would really care what someone's name was who was only to be used as an experiment that would destroy any sense of personal identity anyway.

When Kyle went to see Nemesis in Alpha Flight #115, he was thinking to himself how she had offered to tell him about his past, but, at that time, as Wild Child he could have cared less. He also stated that he didn't even know If his name WAS Kyle., or if it was just made up by the people who'd used him over the years. He was brooding about being "A created person", just a pawn to anyone who came along.
    Same as above, how would Nemesis know his name? Maybe it was through magic or something? I don't know since it never was explored.

I agree with you on one thing, it seems like fans are the only people who kep track of character histories and storylines, often when new writers come in they alter characters dramatically, ignoring previous writer's work. [/i]
    Yeah, sad thing that.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Which is why I have always maintained f*** the 'professional' writers! Start bringing in some of these fanfic writers! they've done their homework!
    Damn straight! Bring in someone who not only cares about AF's continuity but also about the team itself.

maybe the SE made up that his name was Kyle Gibney, and somehow made him think that was his name. and after he was mutated, he forgot about it all. (and he only discovered later what happened)

Zeke-o (not kosher)

Quote Originally Posted by zekethegreat
    maybe the SE made up that his name was Kyle Gibney, and somehow made him think that was his name. and after he was mutated, he forgot about it all. (and he only discovered later what happened)

Zeke-o (not kosher)

Anything is possible especially when it isn't written down.

Default Anything can happen

That's right, anything is possible...like how the AOA survived a nuclear assault and being wiped from the Multiverse...It never happened, but it happened, it's gone, but it's still there... I wouldn't complain except for 2 facts:
    1: AOA Wild Child's gone missing, after surviving everything else [-o< If they killed him just when the world was getting better...
    2.The X-Men are now HUNTING mutants, who, as far as I can figure, as mostly innocent... I mean, beating up Morlock children?

I can't think of anything to say

Default Re: Anything can happen

That's right, anything is possible...like how the AOA survived a nuclear assault and being wiped from the Multiverse...It never happened, but it happened, it's gone, but it's still there... I wouldn't complain except for 2 facts:
    1: AOA Wild Child's gone missing, after surviving everything else [-o< If they killed him just when the world was getting better...
    2.The X-Men are now HUNTING mutants, who, as far as I can figure, as mostly innocent... I mean, beating up Morlock children?
    I can't think of anything to say
    I think that was one of the worst things ever!!!! the writers completely ruined the AOA and threw away alot of good characters just so that universe would be more similar to the main one!!

Zeke

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

For a while there, I thought Wild Child was going to be Walt's son. It looked like that's where the writers were heading, before they got changed.

And, Walt does have a son. Somewhere.

- Le Messor
    "Don’t squat with your spurs on."

If I recall, Walt was the one who took Kyle in, rather than let the Govt. kill him...but that could have just been basic human kindness...
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard