Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89

Default Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89

Saw Goblyn's entry mentioned in the Appearances forum, could have sworn I remember Box IV and Manikin being in there somewhere too, so I dug out my old issues (what few I have).

Box IV is in issue #1, Mannikin and Maison Alpha (complete with floor plans) are in issue #4, and Persuasion is in issue #5. Those are the only ones I have though, unfortunately.

ETA: There seems to be a few more various Handbook entries missing and some are a bit mixed up. Lesse what I can add for posterity.

From the Original OHOTMU:

1: Alpha Flight and Aurora
    4: Guardian
    7: Marrina
    8: Northstar and Puck
    9: Sasquatch and Shaman
    10: Snowbird

From the Deluxe Edition:

1: Alpha Flight and Aurora
    2: Box I, II, and III
    6: Madison Jeffries
    8: Marrina
    9: Northstar and Omega Flight
    10: Puck
    11: Sasquatch
    13: Talisman (Elizabeth and Michael)
    14: Vindicator
    17: Guardian
    19: Snowbird

I have too much time on my hands.

Can you get scans of some of the entries?

I'll see what I can do after work today.

My scanner sucks quite a bit, so they're not as legible as I'd like them to be, but here are the ones from the original handbook, I'll do the Deluxe ones later:

Issue #1 Cover
    Alpha Flight
    Aurora
    Issue #4 Cover
    Guardian
    Issue #7 Cover
    Marrina
    Issue #8 Cover
    Northstar
    Puck
    Issue #9 Cover
    Sasquatch
    Shaman
    Issue #10 Cover
    Snowbird

There ya go.

Nice, MistressMerr... by any chance does it give who did the art for these pages?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

That is does: John Byrne across the board. He did every Alpha picture, Terry Austen inked the entry for Alpha Flight. Covers were done by Edward Hannigan.

Those are great, but is it possible to get a clearer version for the text? there is some interesting stuff in them.

Nice bit o' work MistressMerr! Would you mind if I used some of those covers scans in AF.net?

Ben

In January, Marvel will come out with ESSENTIAL : OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE VOL. 1 TPB, which collects the original fifteen issues. It should be on sale 1/4/06.

MM

Wow I just noticed they have some errors.

Sasquatch:
    -DC-10 does not weigh 25 tons
    -70 tons? he lifted a 5000 ton destroyer out of the water

Marrina
    -51 knots? she has been shown to go 800 and 900 knots

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi

Sasquatch:
    Anyone ready for another round of 'Just how strong is Sas?'

This is a periodic discussion around here King Mungi. As Alpha fans, we know that Sas lifted a DC-10 and threw it a long distance against thrust, we also know that he lifted a destroyer from the suction of water. This strength level puts him well above most, if not all of the big hitters in the MU. Someone decided to downgrade his strength to a more acceptable +70 ton (lift press). I just take it as he can pick up a truck and chuck it and has a right hook like an industrial press. With his healing factor, he's one of the most powerful in the MU.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi

Sasquatch:
    Anyone ready for another round of 'Just how strong is Sas?'

This is a periodic discussion around here King Mungi. As Alpha fans, we know that Sas lifted a DC-10 and threw it a long distance against thrust, we also know that he lifted a destroyer from the suction of water. This strength level puts him well above most, if not all of the big hitters in the MU. Someone decided to downgrade his strength to a more acceptable +70 ton (lift press). I just take it as he can pick up a truck and chuck it and has a right hook like an industrial press. With his healing factor, he's one of the most powerful in the MU.
    Well even today, twice Sasquatch has gone toe to toe with current Jugz who is weakened from what he once was, but he still is class 100. The second fight he even had most of the advantage. I always wondered how fast is his healing factor?

Also the scan said the DC-10 was 25 tons...that's not right.

I think it was decided at some point in the past, that the '25 ton' was a misprint.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I think it was decided at some point in the past, that the '25 ton' was a misprint.
    Would have to be because, even sans fuel, the fuselage of a DC 10 would be SIGNIFICANTLY more than 25 standard tons. One engine MIGHT be 25 tons, but more than likely more. (don't have the standards with me at present.)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Here comes mr.knowledge

http://www.ukorbis.org/bins/content_page.asp?cid=6-50
    ----
    Well here's Marrina going 900 knots proving those scans wrong.