Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: in their final battle!

From what I've read, the 'Collective' is the combined mutant powers of the many thousand who have lost their powers. It falls to earth, etc, etc...
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

What a lame excuse of a villian to fall to. The combined powers of all the mutants who lost their powers in House of M? Weak. I'd have rather had it where they lose to some supreme intergalactic beast or being. THis collective deal is lame. Why does it always have to be some big bad? Couldn't it once be an overwhelming force of thousands of beings invading? Or are artists and writers these days to lazy?

This is what Dana posted on page four of this thread
    'It's the "Collective" that Alpha is facing, after it has crashed to earth. It being the combined energy/powers of all the de-powered mutants...It looks like AF are in big trouble. Another idea...what if the Collective can drain powers/energy...leaving AF powerless? That could translate to it being AF's last battle...sort of?

Dana

He alsoo provides a link to an interview/article re Bendis. So it would seem Dana is a better researcher than either of us.

It still sounds a bit lame though, as you said Pwalk.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Thanks, Del....but I more or less, stumbled upon the link.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr
    Yeah, except none of them really have powers. Mac and Heather have suits, Major just has his horse, both Pucks are just tough, and Shaman's really more knowledge-based.
    Well...if the creature can drain energy(pretty much every form of it, if you think about it)...then the Hudsons are certainly in trouble. Both Pucks have powers.... Since the Major is there without Thunder....I believe the writer is ignoring that he gets his powers from a horse. The "Collective" may also just suck the life energy out of all of them and kill them...I hope that isn't the case.

MM, I was only saying the powerloss was a possibilty...although it's more likely they're going to be massacred.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I agree it's a pretty dumb idea but I guess the writing might make sense of it (of course not).

I expect most of AF to survive, maybe on e or two badly hurt. Shaman, MML, and Zuzha are most likely in my opinion but who knows??
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

yah, not really sure how the whole story line is supposed to make sense...

- Scarlet Witch alters reality, and half of humanity is Mutants...this doesn't work well
    - Scarlet Witch alters reality again, setting it back the way it was, but only 198 mutants are left...
    - the left over mutant power from when reality was altered is given to a buch of aliens that crash land on earth...

wait, that last part doesn't really make any sense...not that the rest of it did at that...

Ben

Happy Christmas to us from Bendis

Thanks, Comicdoms Blue Eyed Boy (NOT!)
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Happy Christmas to us from Bendis

Thanks, Comicdoms Blue Eyed Boy (NOT!)
    You said it, Pal. Feh on BMB.

Dana

Bendis does have talent. The problem is, he's in that group of writers who can give you a really good read if he's working with his own toys, but who don't give a damn about continuity if he gets his claws into established characters. Alias? Powers? Damn good reads, both of them. Avengers Dissasembled? House of M? New Avengers? *shudder!*

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for our Alphans, guys, even if they aren't mutants...or weren't before, I should say. This guy decided in a heartbeat that Wanda didn't have chaos magic anymore, I'm sure he'll have no problem saying that AF has really been stocked entirely by mutants all this time and no one knew.

Suzene

Yeah, I am leaning towards massacre.

If it were just one or two members getting wiped out I don’t think the team would fold up and stop… The words that keep haunting me are “Final Battle”

Remember Sasquatch started a brand new team when he was the only one left. So in my mind the only way to stop Alpha Flight is total destruction…

I hope I’m wrong.

Well, with Mac and Puck on the civil war poster, and the talk about Resurrections in that story arc, there's always hope.

Ben

I for one am really getting tired with having to always HOPE Marvel will be kind to my fav characters! Can we not get a letter writing campaign or something started again? Did it ever stop? How about we take up a collection and buy a full page ad in the New York Times asking Marvel to bring back Alpha Flight? Does Joe Q have any kids we could kidnap?

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Does Joe Q have any kids we could kidnap?
    If he does, I feel REALLY sorry for them...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I don't know....it looks a lot like the same artist did the poster to me. It doesn't have the varied look of a collage by various artists.
    The gent who runs my LCS threw me a copy of Wizard for Christmas, and there's a full colour version of this drawing on page 54. it's most definitely Guardian and Puck in the image and it's a McNiven. It also features many "current" characters like the recent New Warriors, Thunderbolts, Young Avengers etc. So maybe there's some hope at least Mac and Judd will survive New Avengers.

The premise is also explained, as a Superhero Registration Act that forces heroes to give up their identities for national security reasons divides the cast with an Avengers member leading each faction.

Millar is quoted however with saying that he has to keep tweaking the issue because he learns "Oh no, actually the New Warriors are doing this..." which the paranoid among us can swap out "Oh no, actually Alpha Flight was killed by Bendis"

Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    Bendis does have talent. The problem is, he's in that group of writers who can give you a really good read if he's working with his own toys, but who don't give a damn about continuity if he gets his claws into established characters. Alias? Powers? Damn good reads, both of them. Avengers Dissasembled? House of M? New Avengers? *shudder!*
    Writers breaking toys that aren't theirs?....It's how I feel about Grant Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for our Alphans, guys, even if they aren't mutants...or weren't before, I should say. This guy decided in a heartbeat that Wanda didn't have chaos magic anymore, I'm sure he'll have no problem saying that AF has really been stocked entirely by mutants all this time and no one knew.

Suzene
    I'm going to stay as positive as possible and hope for the best(with Puck II and MMII being the only casualties).

Dana