Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: in their final battle!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    The "Final Battle" is just to rattle our cages and get people talking and curious. That's called marketing. Who knows? Maybe this "Collective" will create enough interest as a spin-off.
    Right. It might just be the final battle of the group known as Alpha Flight. Perhaps they'll be going forward under a new name.
    Avengers North? Cringe/shudder/vomit/pass out!!!

Dana :P
    You Gotta be Kiddin' Me! (how come I can't say that anymore without thinking of Lodbel?) Anyhoo, today I thought the exact same thing. Alpha dispands but Cap gets them to start anew as another group of Avengers. And I thought, hmm, what would they call them? Avengers North? Weird.

What sort of worries me is that this happens in a prologue to a story. Bendis tends to draw things out a lot, so of this was an Alpha-related arc I think the hopes of some sort of rejuvenation would be more realistic... however I really doubt he could do it in a cameo apperance in one issue. It's just not his style. He's still building the Avengers status quo and we're, what, nearly a dozen issues in?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    What sort of worries me is that this happens in a prologue to a story. Bendis tends to draw things out a lot, so of this was an Alpha-related arc I think the hopes of some sort of rejuvenation would be more realistic... however I really doubt he could do it in a cameo apperance in one issue. It's just not his style. He's still building the Avengers status quo and we're, what, nearly a dozen issues in?
    Perhaps they will be defeated, but not killed, by this threat, then come save the day or help in the last issue (or 7, knowing Bendis) of the storyline? But yeah, I see what you mean. If the issue holds the final battle of Alpha, then Alpha can't possibly come save the day later. And I doubt they would change their name in a single cameo appearance.

lol Watch it be a cameo of Puck, just walking in the background, not having any relevance to the story.

I'm leaning more towards the "disbanding" thing. I don't want to believe that Marvel would be THAT stupid to kill off a team with such a rich history as Alpha Flight.

Could you imagine the backlash online if this was the case?

In recent years, what have we seen of our favorite Marvel team:

-Aurora/Wild Child/Madison getting brainwashed, manipulated, and even almost beaten to death in Weapon X. (not necessarily in that order)

-Northstar gaining membership in the X-Men only to be underutilized and then killed by a brainwashed Wolverine.

Needless to say it hasn't been a "banner" couple of years for our Alphans and then Marvel turns around and teases their "Final Battle", The higher-ups at Marvel should just come over to my house and give me paper cuts and pour lemon juice on it!

-Seth

I just saw a banner over at silverbulletcomics.com that showed Marvels big event next summer intitled...1985.

It will be written by Mark Millar (you can also check out the latest ish of Wizard too) so I'm kinda curious as to what roll Alpha Flight will play seeing as how in Wizard it says, [The presence of Marvel's A-listers doesn't mean more obscrue heroes won't have their roles to play.]

I guess will have to wait and watch.

MM

I do not like Millar, but if someone mentions Jiggawatts, I'm so buying it.

I don't get wizard, what does it say?

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    I just saw a banner over at silverbulletcomics.com that showed Marvels big event next summer intitled...1985.
    From Newsarama
    Sunday saw Mark Millar make his first appearance at a UK convention this century and entertaining the crowd with an hour-long question and answer session. Millar discussed some of the process involved in getting his 1985 project made. 1985 is to be a six issue series that bucks the usual artwork associated with comic books and instead is using photo-art. This basically means that the artwork is made by photographing models in costume and then digitally altering the pictures to add backgrounds and other effects in.

Millar said he had problems getting Marvel to agree to the concept to begin with, but now over 200 models have been used and photographed in various locations over America, and for some scenes, sets were created to function as backdrops. The writer alluded the process akin to making a movie with so much effort needed to even get to the stage where the series can begin to take shape.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    The "Final Battle" is just to rattle our cages and get people talking and curious. That's called marketing. Who knows? Maybe this "Collective" will create enough interest as a spin-off.
    Right. It might just be the final battle of the group known as Alpha Flight. Perhaps they'll be going forward under a new name.
    Avengers North? Cringe/shudder/vomit/pass out!!!

Dana :P
    I've seen some people speculate that down the road we'd get Avengers Canada.

Now that I think about it...Avengers North doesn't sound all that bad(I was mostly getting upset about a name-change even being done....I like them as Alpha Flight...I'd rather they keep the name they started with, even if it means they remain in limbo for all eternity...I'm serious). If Marvel thinks the name change will make Alpha sell better...they're wrong....slap a new name on a bad-written and/or drawn book and you get another cancellation.

Alpha cansell really well(and has)...it just needs a great creative team with a great hook of a premise(and great stories, of course). Why not go the "Avengers North" route without a name-change? Look at Vol. 3 as an example....imagine if it had a better premise(the art was great, but sorry Scott...the comedy approach was a horrible idea)...I believe it would've held onto most of the 40,000+ readers it started out with. The Byrne AF was a huge seller(even for back in those days), but after he left the sales began to drop...and I don't think it was just because of Byrne leaving....the new writer(Mantlo) was killing and screwing up our AF...that would certainly make readers leave.

"Avengers North" sounds better than "Avengers Canada" to me, though(no offense meant toward my northern neighbors)...I just don't want a name-change. That is...if a change of name is in their plans.

Oh yeah...Joke Q is an inept buffoon.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

from
    http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays28.html

NRAMA: "Gamma Duck" - With the team itself getting a mention in Millar's interview in Wizard and your comments this past Friday of a "not-necessarily-the-West-Coast-Avengers" team potentially in the works, is it possible that we'll be seeing a new Champions team made up of the former Avengers who didn't make the cut in Bendis' book, as well as some (hopefully) other non-Avengers characters?

JQ- Gamma Duck, let me just say that the name Champions has been getting thrown around as of late in the Marvel offices. So let me just leave it at that.
    Alpha relaunch as Avengers North?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I really think what's going to happen here will be a kill off of some characters with one or two surviving to join another squad. Which 2 I haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I really think what's going to happen here will be a kill off of some characters with one or two surviving to join another squad. Which 2 I haven't a clue.
    Well from the poste you could say Mac and Puck, but I would say they would kill 2 af member and that would be Puck II and Major maple sirup there
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Well from the poste you could say Mac and Puck, but I would say they would kill 2 af member and that would be Puck II and Major maple sirup there
    I think you're right Syvalois, Puck II and MML will probably be the ones to die so Marvel can clean up the 3rd series debacle before they bring out a new one.

Put X-Men Unlimited in continuity after that happened, and it would make a lot more sense too, in terms of character motivation.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Bendis better not kill Heather either.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!