Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: in their final battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole

3) AF loses to the Collective, some die, a new AF book rises from the ashes! - now that would be OK
    I think that one might be ok. I find Bendis kind of frustrating because he makes grand gestures and gets around to fleshing them out so they make some sense later on. This might end up being appropriate:

5) Bendis does something that seems shockingly dumb but creates enough attention and controversy that the increased levels of interest lead to something good down the road.

Maybe I'm a bit pessimistic sometimes.

Here's other possibilities:

- Lobdell AF fights, they all quit or some die, no more Lobdell AF (after all, they only signed on for a year) - not likely, but...

- 'magical' AF as seen in v3 issue 12 fight and die, space Byrne AF comes home later. - Not likely at all, too silly

- AF fights, calls it quits as Hudsons want to be safe for family; soon Puck and Sasquatch form a new group simply called Alpha Flight or the Flight. They lead a who knows who squad, old or new? - maybe, I guess.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default RE: New Avengers # 16

I got too nervous when I heard about AF's "final battle" coming up in New Avengers. There seems to be a lot of love for Canada's premiere super-team, and it would be counter-productive to get rid of well-liked characters.

Without me jumping to fatalistic conclusions, I'm interested to find out exactly what's going to happen.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I don't know what to make of this. My first instinct is hopeful, but I see 4 possibilities:

1) AF fights the Collective and gets decimated, no survivors - not a chance this one is right

2) AF fights and gets clobbered, survivors join the new David (Or who is doing it??) team book. - Possible

3) AF loses to the Collective, some die, a new AF book rises from the ashes! - now that would be OK

4) AF fights the Collective, loses, disbands for the 7th time, pointless all around. - I hope not!

There are plenty of possible outcomes here that have Alpha members alive and well. Sure there's plenty of chaff to be kulled, but this could just be the final time they apear as Alpha Flight. Perhaps Marvel finally decided if they want a title to sell it has to have a "X" in it somewhere. I for one say hold judgement until Alpha X or X Flight or Aurora's XXX Fetish Flight hits the newsstand. The last could be quite a treat! Just imagine Northstar fighting the super baddies with that gag ball firmly affixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    I don't know what to make of this. My first instinct is hopeful, but I see 4 possibilities:

1) AF fights the Collective and gets decimated, no survivors - not a chance this one is right

2) AF fights and gets clobbered, survivors join the new David (Or who is doing it??) team book. - Possible

4) AF fights the Collective, loses, disbands for the 7th time, pointless all around. - I hope not!

There are plenty of possible outcomes here that have Alpha members alive and well. Sure there's plenty of chaff to be kulled, but this could just be the final time they apear as Alpha Flight. Perhaps Marvel finally decided if they want a title to sell it has to have a "X" in it somewhere. I for one say hold judgement until Alpha X or X Flight or Aurora's XXX Fetish Flight hits the newsstand. The last could be quite a treat! Just imagine Northstar fighting the super baddies with that gag ball firmly affixed.
    All hiding their secret identities by wearing Gimp Masks
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I wondered years ago (the 80's !) if Marvel was planning to call Alpha Flight X-Flight or The Flight or New Alpha Flight or even Canada-X. Of those only X-Flight probabaly appeals to Quesada, and only New Alpha Flight is on their drawing board.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

It'll be called 'X-Men Affiliates' and Alpha will get the occasional spotlight issue.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Considering Alpha Flight is one of the only teams in the MU without the majority of it's members being Mutants, maybe Bendis saw this as potential to give Alpha the "Canadian-counterpart of the Avengers" respect? I can't see marvel wiping out a team that has such a long history with them in a prologue issue. Maybe a character or two. Usually this would make me nervous, but for some reason I have a good feeling about this. There's no such thing as "bad publicity". I can only see good coming from this appearance, especially in a non X, top 5 book. The "Final Battle" is just to rattle our cages and get people talking and curious. That's called marketing. Who knows? Maybe this "Collective" will create enough interest as a spin-off. They can serve a 5-6 issue Avengers story, then be up for grabs to give a new team book a main villain or storyline (Other then to protect Canada). Seeing how many Alpha characters are still around in todays books is encouraging. After the reaction Northstar got from his "death" might have woken up a few people at Marvel. I doubt they'd bring him back just to kill him (although I said the same thing about Ben Reilly). And hell, Bendis said New Avengers is going to have a rotating cast. Maybe they could use a big furry character. Every team needs one... don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    The "Final Battle" is just to rattle our cages and get people talking and curious. That's called marketing. Who knows? Maybe this "Collective" will create enough interest as a spin-off.
    Right. It might just be the final battle of the group known as Alpha Flight. Perhaps they'll be going forward under a new name.

The fact that they've been around for a long time though doesn't make me any more confident. They've been disrespected an awful lot during that spell. They might just want to repackage the whole thing.

Man...I used to be a huge fan of the Squadron Supreme. I'm about to sit down and read the Supreme Power 18, Nighthawk 1 and Hyperion 1. If ever Alpha got that same kind of treatment from someone who sees untapped potential, I'd croak.

anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic.

On the bright side, we will get to see Steve McNiven draw Alpha Flight so thats something to look forward too! =D>

MM

I'm guessing at the team disbanding...since that is easily undone(simply reform). Should be interesting no matter what...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    The "Final Battle" is just to rattle our cages and get people talking and curious. That's called marketing. Who knows? Maybe this "Collective" will create enough interest as a spin-off.
    Right. It might just be the final battle of the group known as Alpha Flight. Perhaps they'll be going forward under a new name.
    Avengers North? Cringe/shudder/vomit/pass out!!!

Dana :P
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

What name could they use instead of Alpha Flight, nothing would work. I don't know whats going to happen, but the same core group with a different name...

Unless it's 'The Mapleleaf Manglers', that could work
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Del don't make me hurt you...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    What name could they use instead of Alpha Flight, nothing would work. I don't know whats going to happen, but the same core group with a different name...

I've wanted them to change the name for awhile now, to maybe something like The Northguard or The Beaver Patrol.