Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In Praise Of Mantlo (Yeah, I Know)

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    All that bickering, *****ing, arguing....Sound just like a family to me, Julesville.

Dana
    Heh, I was JUST about to say that, Dana...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    All that bickering, *****ing, arguing....Sound just like a family to me, Julesville.

Dana
    Hee-hee...I beat you to it...LOL :P

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    I never liked the "Family" feeling for AF. Do not sound right for them. X-Men ? FF? totally, but not AF. I liked Byrne's AF, mostly a working force that as the relations that goes with it. Some liked each others, some did not but they did found a way to worked together. And in that compagny you do have family ties. I really like family stories, but not imposed or not plausible family stories.
    I think Kozzi said it better:
    Anyone who's heard the line "we're all family here" in a workplace will probably know how irksome "forced family" is.
    yeah that's how Mantlo made it looked added with whinning.
    I think your expansion of the working relationship put it even better, Sylvie.
    They worked together, even after the government ceased being an employer. The original team were coworkers, bickering and one-upping each other at every opportunity, but getting the job done. Look at V1#12...five pages fighting between each other before kicc=king Omega butt.
    Mantlo's use of Persuasaion particularly shows Gary's point of Mantlo's characters needing a mommy and daddy. Persuasion could have worked so much better if she had been used as Shadowcat was initially used, new eyes to view the rest of the team. Hard to do when the team she joins is gone on the inside of 12 issues.
    But, in keeping with the positive tone of the thread's intent, Persuasion was the first "illegitimate" offspring of a mind controller, and I'm sure her parents were married only by editorial decision to pander to the social mores of the time.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck

Dana
    Hee-hee...I beat you to it...LOL :P

Dana
    I don't know what yer talking about, my family was perfect, I... DADDY!!! Why didn't you come to the science fair?!?! Why don't you tell me you love me!?!?!?!?! WAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

I think your expansion of the working relationship put it even better, Sylvie.
    They worked together, even after the government ceased being an employer. The original team were coworkers, bickering and one-upping each other at every opportunity, but getting the job done. [/quote]

Well, I did not said it first,I read it somewhere.I just don't remember who said it. It may even be Byrne in an interview that said that, but I thought it was acurate.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix