Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Respect Thread

I remember the house ads Marvel did in the late 80's or so, that "Marvel" putting the character back in comics"
    To me, Alpha--the originals--should have been spotlighted in those ads.
    Those first 26 issues and other stories of the time highlighted what complex and visually interesting characters. Even if some of the complexities are trite in comics, Byrne always made them interesting with new twists.
    Volume 2 gave us arrogant youths who could not be touched and dominated his younger brother, repetitions of existing characterizations and powers, a fake Sasquatch and a Heather and Puck too brainwashed to be the characters we knew. Volume 3, Yukon Jack (nuff said), a girl with possible but unverified relation to an existing character and msyterious powers and clothes that can't stay on, a Nemesis contradictory to prior appearances?...let's not go there. Centennial could have broken the mold with the origin of his powers, byt he became the stereotype of the eldery instead, played so we can laugh at our elders.

Marvel needs to understand that AF was a character-centric book. Alpha Flight is Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, and Heather, not a random group of cliches who just happen to be Canadian.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Great scans of Exiles with Tanaraq. I always thought that's how powerful Sasquatch was supposed to be. Tossing super powered people aside, clobbering foes with one swat of his massive fist, taking a major blast and shrugging it off. The way he's written now Aunt May with her butter knife could slice and dice him before cutting his hair a respectable length. The same goes for Shaman, he posseses all this nature magic but can never seem to do anything powerful with it. Not since the snowstorm in X-men. If you think about it, nature is the most powerful force on the planet. Shaman could create earthquakes, storms, floods, control animals, even have the very surroundings attack his enemies! But we never see that. On other forums I've read posters' comments that AF characters aren't very good, well that isn't their fault it's the poor writing the series' have had. Thanks KM for letting others not in the know see what our fav heroes can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    On other forums I've read posters' comments that AF characters aren't very good, well that isn't their fault it's the poor writing the series' have had.
    If you were a younger reader (under 35) and had only really seen the last ten years worth of appearances by Alpha, how good would you think these characters were. It is the writers' use of the charactersm not the characters themselves!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    If you were a younger reader (under 35) and had only really seen the last ten years worth of appearances by Alpha, how good would you think these characters were. It is the writers' use of the charactersm not the characters themselves!
    True, the last few years have been particularly horrendous as far as the depiction of Alpha goes, but blaming the art for its faults and not the artist? You and I seem to be on the same page, the writers are the ones doing a bad job not the characters, however, those posters are talking as if the characters are lousy because of who they are and what team they belong to and they're not. It's the writers who have done a piss poor job of making them exciting heroes with enthralling stories that readers will give a damn about.

I love Taranaq. You know what I'd like to see if it were possible? Tanaraq doing the Exorist III where the demon rewires the body to live again after he possesses it. Taranaq does the same thing to Walt's orignal body and since the body has no soul or mind to fight with, it's just pure Tanaraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyridona
    I love Taranaq. You know what I'd like to see if it were possible? Tanaraq doing the Exorist III where the demon rewires the body to live again after he possesses it. Taranaq does the same thing to Walt's orignal body and since the body has no soul or mind to fight with, it's just pure Tanaraq.
    Only problem is Walt's original body crumbled to dust back in the first series. Maybe the Great Beasts could ressurect it?

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Only problem is Walt's original body crumbled to dust back in the first series. Maybe the Great Beasts could ressurect it?
    Yup, thus "if it were possible" . DNA is small, the Great Beasts are Gods. They got the time. If things go to bad to worst on that NA issue, then we have a potetinal way to bring certian fuzzy characters back. Now, someone a better writer than I am better figure this one out.

So have I done AF justice with the thread? If not.....I'll kill you, straight up

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    So have I done AF justice with the thread? If not.....I'll kill you, straight up
    Yup
    www.kozzi.us

Updates galore:
    -Puck taking out Firestar [then getting taken out himself]
    -Madison Jeffries making sentinel army
    -Sasquatch vs. Hulk
    -Snowbird reacting with the speed of thought
    -Alpha Flight, Avengers and The Protectors vs. Terrorists [Part: 3/4]
    -Alpha Flight w/ Wolverine vs. Mauvais Wendigo
    -Aurora Bio
    -Puck vs. Arcade and Raazer

Lots and lots of updates, go check it out and tell me what you think.

After that last comment you made on the other message board, I had a thought. A fight between Alpha Flight and Weapon X. I think it would be pretty cool to see the team go up against some of there own friends and former team mates( Jeffries and Aurora) and possibly win one of them back

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    After that last comment you made on the other message board, I had a thought. A fight between Alpha Flight and Weapon X. I think it would be pretty cool to see the team go up against some of there own friends and former team mates( Jeffries and Aurora) and possibly win one of them back
    WHat was my last comment? and yeah it would be interesting, except the only one still left is Wild Child. Aurora and Jeffries both left.

the last commentmade when I read it was "Well if written correctly, Alpha Flight is one of the strongest teams in existance. Hell, I just found Guardian has way more powers that I didn't even know [those scans coming up next]"

I didn't know Jeffries and Aurora left though, too bad

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    the last commentmade when I read it was "Well if written correctly, Alpha Flight is one of the strongest teams in existance. Hell, I just found Guardian has way more powers that I didn't even know [those scans coming up next]"

I didn't know Jeffries and Aurora left though, too bad
    Oh yeah I stand by that, they are one of the strongest teams.

Yeah they left in Weapon X #22, Aurora on her own and Jeffries went with the former Weapon X Director to build a sentinel army.