Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Respect Thread

alpha flights failed series kills me. i mean really kills me. this series was one of the best selling series marvel has ever put out (in it's heyday). yet every time a series is relaunched it is botched so badly that we have to wait around for someone to get it right.

marvel always subscribes to the "if it didn't work before re-launch it in a way it will"

series 2 had good potential and i loved steven seagles writing, but poor art, bad economics at the time, a creative team to busy spending their advances to put a quality book together (thanks carlson) and a series worth of waiting for the originals to return.

series 3. blech. i absolutely hate, i mean hate scott lobdell for putting that trash out and setting the team and another potential series back for years with his attempt (bad by the way) at being funny. yet again, we were all waiting around for the originals to return.

why must marvel always relaunch a series or cancel it rather than rework it? did it ever dawn on them that the creative team is horrible? how can great writers like morrison, waid, bendis etc....take series and make them great (anyone remember miracle man, animal man and some of the other more obscure titles that were awesome) and these characters did not have the popularity of alpha flight.

if only we could have got torres or another writer that respected this teamwriting for the last series i'm sure we would be talking about next issue rather than next series.

man.......what about seagle writing and clayton drawing. wow.

Default If wishes were horses...

I missed out on the whole Volume 3 experience and am perhaps thankful for it. Having said that, I think that Clayton Henry's art on that series was gorgeous - just based on the scans I have seen posted here and elsewhere.

Given it's current state, I doubt that AF can be reformed as the team it was. Did they ever return from space? Were the Alphans from the past eventually re-absorbed by the time-stream? I think the only place we'll ever get good AF stories is in fan-fiction.

Default Wierd Alpha Flight

Does anyone else think that Alpha Flight, as well as being one of the best super hero teams team ever, is also one of the weirdest, everyone was mental, cross gendered (sasquatch being stuck in the body of a woman) or disabled. If ever a comic inspired freethinking liberalism its Alpha Flight. Any comments?

Default Re: Wierd Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by BirdManbot
    Does anyone else think that Alpha Flight, as well as being one of the best super hero teams team ever, is also one of the weirdest, everyone was mental, cross gendered (sasquatch being stuck in the body of a woman) or disabled. If ever a comic inspired freethinking liberalism its Alpha Flight. Any comments?
    That's what I liked about them. Why it's so hard to do an AF serie? Because the characters are so complexe and they don't fit the normal group formula. Because AF is mainly based about individual who happens to be in a group but not the other way around. Because you got to be representative or the uniqueness of AF; they are Canadians. You got to show that without been all about canadian stuff and no story. And what is canadian stuff anyway? To get it right form one side to the other is almost impossible, even Byrne messed it up with Québec, but he was close enough.

And I look around here in the forum and many fans are over 30, me included, so why not just do a mature book? My only concern would be they would go too mature, but you know AF always had mature stuff hidden for anyone to read and that is also something hard to do.

So, would I like to see another AF book? yes. Do I believe the book can be made at the moment with 3 series and the confused history? not really at the moment.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Default Re: Wierd Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by BirdManbot
    I like that about AF too...It wasn't like the other team books. It had it's similarities and the team is a family of sorts with Mac and Heather as parents and families/teams tend to argue, but it also stood out. Many of the members had major problems(mentally, physically and spiritually), but they continued to be heroes, regardless. Some were reluctant to be there(Mac, Northstar), which made it interesting too.

I also loved the fact that when the "father"(Mac) passed away, the "mother"(Heather) stepped in to take his place...she and Mac created the team together, she has always been there, everyone on the team knew her and it was a natural progression(which is why I don't get when fans say she doesn't belong in the team). Heather is as much a part of AF as Mac is.

The personalities of each team member play off of each other so well and so badly that it makes for an interesting read.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Updates were made to the thread, go check it out.

that is a great thread. I loved the scans, and I was excited when I saw those because it took me back to the early to mid eighties when I was a child barely able to read but loveing the characters. especially puck he was right around my height at the time.

Thank you kindly, also if anyone knows any impressive feats I havn't mentioned already by all means tell me.

Updates were added, and soon Puck additions.

Just noticed in Uncanny X-Men #422, #433 and #434 were horriblly drawn. For instance Sasquatch destroys Jugz shirt in #433 but in 434 it's back and has no dirt on it. With #422 look at Mac's helmet in the page where we see Jugz and Sas walking back together. Now that's an interesting design. Then are are many minor errors as well, but meh! Dumb arc.

Lots of updates go check it out

Mungi, do you mind if I use some of the scans at the theard to make icons with?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyridona
    Mungi, do you mind if I use some of the scans at the theard to make icons with?
    No go right ahead, I posted them so people could use. Can I see when your done?

Also added lots more today.

Of course, I'll start another theard to show off the links so I won't steal thunder from you. I've got a lot in mind and have a small batch to show off for now.

Updates made.

More updates were made. Anymore comments?