Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you think House of M will affect Alpha Flight....

Hybrid View

Default How do you think House of M will affect Alpha Flight....

I'm not sure if this should be posted here, but it does concern AF...hey...I took a chance.

Spoilers....
    So Joke Quesada has stated that the mutants of the Marvel Universe will be numbered at about 198(what a moronic and stupidly small number)...The other mutants that don't fit into that number will lose their powers...becoming normal humans(Jubilee and Chamber are two that have been named as possible de-powerees).

I certainly understand and applaud the need for a bit of pruning, but 198?
    I imagine some of Alpha's mutants WILL lose their powers too(I doubt they matter that much to Marvel, in the grand X-Universe scheme)...Aurora? Northstar? Diamond Lil? Madison Jeffries? Flashback? Who else could be a target of the mutie-pruning.

If Marvel thinks there should be less mutants in their books....Maybe they should just cut back Wolverine's appearances in every Marvel book ...sheesh(and yes, D...here I am b****ing quite a bit ).

To me(IMHO)....A much more believable number would be approximately a million mutants WORLDWIDE....but one hundred and ninety eight mutants and that's it? Overkill, much?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I have to agree, 198 seems insanely small...and really, considering that there are at least three new X-books coming out in the wake of HoM, it just doesn't feel like much is being pruned back. Not only that, but despite all the hype that this event is going to change the face of the Marvel Universe forever OMG!, there's a pretty danged obvious escape hatch in just depowering mutants instead of outright killing them.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I'd say the majority of second-wave Alpha Flight is toast. Thanks to Christina, Weir, and Tieri -- fine, fine, and Austen too, but it's a grudging thanks -- Northstar and Aurora have gotten a decent amount of panel time in recent years, so there's a chance they might be considered popular enough to be spared the axe. At the same time, though, there's an equal chance that our resident speedsters might be considered superfluous; solits make it look like Quicksilver's still in the game and if you've only got 193 people to give mutant powers too, you'd likely want to avoid redundancy as much as possible.

Actually, a good chunk of core Alpha is pretty safe from Wanda's latest bout of mental problems -- out of Puck, Mac, Heather, Snowbird, Shaman, and Sasquatch, none qualify as mutants. (Which paves the way for another rant in and of itself on the inconsistant nature of super-human prejudice in the MU, but it's late.) Let's just hope that the writers remember that and don't get too trigger happy.

Suzene

Suzene

Madison Jeffries will likely be depowered. No way will the '198' universe last long. I'd give it a year. Is that how long Heroes Reborn lasted?

It would have been smarter to have HoM end with a return to the 'mutants as minority' not evolutionary improvements. That way the lack of mutants could be explained easily as nuclear testing went down so fewer mutations. "Homo Superior" should've been left as a sparkle in Apocalypse's eye.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Only 198 mutants??!! I can only see that lasting for so long, then they'll come up with something to reverse that decision. With all of the X-Titles out there, and all of the villains they're going to have to keep in order for the X-Men to have a purpose, it really doesn't leave much (if any) room open for any other title. The good thing about AF is that the team isn't comprised of mutants as a central theme.

And as far as Northstar and Aurora go, they can always lean back on the Mantlo background and say that the twins' powers are derived from their *groan* half-elf side and free up two slots that way in this lame-@$$ '198' fiasco.

I think the mutants should go back to minority status...but not THAT much of a minority.

MHO,
    -Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

I believe Quesada has said that only 10% of the 16 million mutants pre-HoM will keep there powers and 10% of 16 million is far more than 198. Judging from the previews the 198 refers to mutants that the government has files on and consider threats.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Why do I think all Alpha will be safe?
    I say this, not with hope, but cynicism.

You know what'll save Alpha? Nobody's heard of 'em.
    I mean, the writer who put Flashback in Thunderbolts is endangering us all, but I don't think they'll bother to depower anybody else.

Apart from the Twinz, who may be -too- high profile to hit.

- Le Messor
    "Do you really think third-rate military dictators would laugh at America and burn our flag in contempt, if Ronald Regan were president?"
    - Roger Waters, Radio KAOS

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperstorm
    I believe Quesada has said that only 10% of the 16 million mutants pre-HoM will keep there powers and 10% of 16 million is far more than 198. Judging from the previews the 198 refers to mutants that the government has files on and consider threats.
    I certanly hope that is the case. And I also certainly hope that out of these mutants, no more of them are related/cloned/fomer acne of Wolverine.

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperstorm
    That sounds much more believable, than a mere 198. I too, hope that's the case.

Dana

There's no official number yet, the only thing that's been confirmed by the higher ups is somewhere between 200 and 300. :\

I thought it was 198 per country...no? :P
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quicksilver is apparently also one of the mutants that loses his powers permanently....sigh.

The list(so far):

Jubilee
    Chamber
    Quicksilver

This is such an incredibly stupid idea. I'm hoping Quesada gets lots of hate mail for this stunt, maybe it will wake him the heck up.

Dana

Add Blob to that list too, judging from the Gen M #3 cover.

What??!! Thanks Phil...Maybe we should keep a running list of this horror somewhere?

Dana

Maybe AF's mutants will escape notice, maybe not(I hope they will anyway, especially all the originals...)

Here's a list of possible targets(I hope I didn't miss anyone)...
    (This is just some fun and frightening speculation)
    Question marks indicate uncertainty that the character is a mutant...

Aurora
    Centennial
    Diamond Lil
    Feedback
    Flashback
    Flex?
    Ghost Girl?
    Goblyn
    Madison Jeffries
    Major Mapleleaf Jr?
    Manikin
    Murmur?
    Northstar
    Pathway
    Persuasion
    Puck II?
    Wild Child
    Wyre?

Edited because I did not see the news forum until now.