Thread: Alpha Flight in January!

Default Alpha Flight in January!

ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z #1

COVER BY: KEU CHA
    WRITER: JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, ERIC J. MOREELS, SEAN MCQUAID, MICHAEL HOSKIN, RONALD BYRD, MARK O’ENGLISH, ANTHONY FLAMINI, BARRY REESE, MIKE FICHERA, STUART VANDAL, BILL LENTZ, MADISON CARTER , CHRIS BIGGS

THE STORY: Continuing the success of the 2004-2005 Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe, 2006 will feature the return of the Handbook from A to Z! While the Handbooks of the past two years focused on specific themes, this twelve-issue monthly series will extend the coverage to all Marvel’s characters, teams, objects, events, and places–plus past, future and alternate Earths. The spotlight will fall on more than 600 profiles–including new characters, characters who never received a profile and those needing major updates. As an added bonus, there will be special themed Handbooks covering more than 250 characters throughout the year.
    64 PGS./Rated T+ SUGGESTED FOR TEENS AND UP ...$3.99

PRICE: $3.99
    IN STORES: 01-25-2006

Who can spot the Alpha Flight character on the cover of OHOTMU: A TO Z #1?

And they'll be plenty of other Alpha Flight characters and races (both new and classic) profiled as the 12-issue series progresses through 2006!

Is there a chance that these will be collected into a trade or HC after Z's release?

I'm not sure I can justify 26 issues at $3.99....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Is there a chance that these will be collected into a trade or HC after Z's release?
    No concrete plans to collect the most recent Handbook additions as of yet. But if you're a fan of the 1980s OHOTMUs, they are going to be collected in Essential format in January . . .

ESSENTIAL OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE VOL. 1 TPB
    Written by MARK GRUENWALD, PETER SANDERSON, ELIOT R. BROWN & MORE
    Penciled by JOHN BYRNE, DAVE COCKRUM, BOB LAYTON, JOHN ROMITA JR. & MORE
    Cover by JOHN BYRNE
    A picture's worth a thousand words, and there have always been top supplies of both in the ever-moving manuals of marvels and miscreants! Now, witness first-hand the series that started it all in Mark Gruenwald's original fifteen issues worth of secrets, super-powers and schematics! About the best, by the best! Collects OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1-15.
    544 PGS./All Ages ...$16.99
    ISBN: 0-7851-1933-7

I'm not sure I can justify 26 issues at $3.99....
    First, the 2006 OHOTMU: A-Z series will only be 12 issues, one issue per month for 12 months. There will be a number of "themed" specials throughout the year, but they aren't really connected to the main OHOTMU: A-Z series. So 12 issues at $3.99 puts you at about $47.88 for the year.

Secondly, did you check out the page count? 64 pages (as opposed to the 48 pages of this year's Handbooks)! That's a steal!

Yay!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Default Re: Alpha Flight in January!

Quote Originally Posted by skullogeist
    ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z #1

[b]Who can spot the Alpha Flight character on the cover of OHOTMU: A TO Z #1?
    I assume that's Aurora stood next to the person I presume is Baron Strucker?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

WOLVERINE #38
    Written by DANIEL WAY
    Layouts by JAVIER SALTARES
    Finishes by MARK TEXEIRA
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    "Origins and Endings"
    THe entire Marvel Universe holds its collective breath-after all this time, can it be true? Wolverine returns to his "birthplace," the top-secret military installation known as Department H, the site of the original Weapon X project. But what is he looking for...and who is looking for him? Part 3 of 5

MM

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    WOLVERINE #38
    Written by DANIEL WAY
    Finishes by MARK TEXEIRA
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    "Origins and Endings"
    THe entire Marvel Universe holds its collective breath-after all this time, can it be true? Wolverine returns to his "birthplace," the top-secret military installation known as Department H, the site of the original Weapon X project. But what is he looking for...and who is looking for him? Part 3 of 5

MM
    Wait a minute! Department H, the site of the original Weapon X project????!!! Somebody really didn't do their research...or maybe it's a big ole' typo.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by skullogeist
    First, the 2006 OHOTMU: A-Z series will only be 12 issues, one issue per month for 12 months. There will be a number of "themed" specials throughout the year, but they aren't really connected to the main OHOTMU: A-Z series. So 12 issues at $3.99 puts you at about $47.88 for the year.

Secondly, did you check out the page count? 64 pages (as opposed to the 48 pages of this year's Handbooks)! That's a steal!
    So it's not one issue per letter?

Hmm... I could do that I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    WOLVERINE #38
    Written by DANIEL WAY
    Finishes by MARK TEXEIRA
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    "Origins and Endings"

MM
    I'm putting my money on Northstar waiting to kick the snot outta Wolvie for skewering him. Maybe we could see Alpha Flight come in and save his sorry butt from a high speed butt kicking, further alienating Northstar from his old comrades.

I'm putting money, well monopoly money, on no ties at all....

So it's not one issue per letter?
    No. As you can see from the cover to OHOTMU: A TO Z #1, guys like Baron Zemo, Baron Mordo, and Baron Strucker got into the first issue -- so it covers "A" and at least some of "B." (It would've been tough to fill 64 pages with "Q" and "X" characters!)

I've always loved the original handbooks. Pardon me while I go dance in the streets.