Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Puck Appearance

Maybe I'm talking out my arse, but after re-reading that interview/column, I get the impression that we might be seeing quite a bit of Puck in Unlimited X-men or elsewhere.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Don't forget that Puck was a bit down and out (and sleeping in alleyways) at the beginning of AF vol #2. How he got to be in that state, who knows, but it's hinted that "without a team", Puck's pretty much not very good at looking after himself. Now, this would fit in quite well with his early history (sans Mantlo's Raazer re-historying) where he was paroled out of prison to join AF.

As to the snippet of art from that issue of XMU - two things strike me:

1. This is Puck in his old AF costume. Could this then mean that this is the Puck from the 80s as opposed to the Puck in space? Or perhaps Marvel writers have decided to totally ignore Lobdell's run of vol 3 (could be a good thing>)

2. This Puck is drawn with his cauliflower ear.

Despite this being a bit of a mini-story, I like the fact that this writer has invested quite a bit of thought and reasoning into the character. More interestingly, he appears to be using Puck as a means to explore issues related to alcoholism which he has experienced himself. I think this can be a good thing.

Anyway, having been away from AF, Marvel and comics for quite a while - what's the latest news about AF? Are there still 2 teams or as alterniverse AF appearance more common these days than AF appearances in the real MU?

Hey Seng! Well, if this Puck appearance gets yer stamp of approval, I'll not knock it More alternate version appearances lately than anything else, but Northstar was in Wolverine quite a bit for a while there. Jeffries, Aurora and Wild child were all featured quite a bit in Weapon X, and the Days of Future Now alternate future from that series has had a number of AF appearances.

Ben

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default This does not make sense!

Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney
    Don't forget that Puck was a bit down and out (and sleeping in alleyways) at the beginning of AF vol #2. How he got to be in that state, who knows, but it's hinted that "without a team", Puck's pretty much not very good at looking after himself. Now, this would fit in quite well with his early history (sans Mantlo's Raazer re-historying) where he was paroled out of prison to join AF.
    I still don't understand all the negative ret-conning that seems to be accepted as gospel! Judd was a government agent and a paroled felon? The Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense must be so proud!
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: This does not make sense!

I still don't understand all the negative ret-conning that seems to be accepted as gospel! Judd was a government agent and a paroled felon?
    ??? You did not knew that? It always had been part of Puck history. Byrne wrote that. So, it's not a retcon
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I'm always researching and revising...

....because I don't have a photographic memory. I don't doubt you. Guess I didn't know that. Please tell me which book that is in.

Still think it makes little sense, even if Byrne wrote it. However, unreliable narrators (OUT-AND-OUT LIARS and DEVIOUS BACKBITERS) are par for the course when it comes to characters in Alpha Flight, and Gary Cody is one of the biggest. Believe a bureaucrat, hook line and sinker, and somebody's going to get snookered.

Super-secret Dept. H must be pulling the wool over a lot of high-level eyes to do all the stuff that's been done.

Oh, BTW, Puck is also supposed to have been in some kind of institute for the Criminally Insane. As I said before, The Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense must be so pleased that murderers and lunatics are defending Canada.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: I'm always researching and revising...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    ....because I don't have a photographic memory. I don't doubt you. Guess I didn't know that. Please tell me which book that is in.

Still think it makes little sense, even if Byrne wrote it. However, unreliable narrators (OUT-AND-OUT LIARS and DEVIOUS BACKBITERS) are par for the course when it comes to characters in Alpha Flight, and Gary Cody is one of the biggest. Believe a bureaucrat, hook line and sinker, and somebody's going to get snookered.

Super-secret Dept. H must be pulling the wool over a lot of high-level eyes to do all the stuff that's been done.

Oh, BTW, Puck is also supposed to have been in some kind of institute for the Criminally Insane. As I said before, The Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense must be so pleased that murderers and lunatics are defending Canada.

Actually, it's not uncommon for government agencies to recruit/draft criminals, the criminally unstable and the likes, esp in covert/black ops settings (which DH and Alpha were originally meant to be).
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Default What the puck???! :-)

Since when was Puck in an institute for the criminally insane? I must admit that I haven't picked up any AF since years back (I finished up with Vol 2 and any guest appearances that occurred after that in Wolverine and UXM), so may not have caught on to any "creative" ret cons since then.

To my knowledge, Puck was in prison for killing someone when he was paroled out to join Alpha Flight. At that point, he was living in Toronto and working as a bouncer at a bar (Corky's I think). Byrne established that Judd has had a 'shady' past, perhaps as a mercenary (though the govt agent thing would fit in too).

I tend to suffer amnesia re: anything to do with eh Raazer debacle, so was glad when Seagle retconned the whole thing out. Another thing which appears to have been retconned out is his invulnerability and super strength (able to press 1 ton I think), which was institued by Fabian Nicieza.

I used to have a Puck's Place website out on the WWW but that may have gone the way of the Dodo. It was chock full of Puck info, including an FAQ, and a "Banter with Judd" section which raised some hilarious questions posed to Puck.

Seng

Hiya Seng, I think the reference to criminally insane ties into the 'Clinic for Maladjusted Supertypes' which is where Maddy met Bochs, even though they hadn't met until AF#15. I tend to ignore that whole clinic stuff.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Default My Puckin' Oath!

Hiya Delster. Yes... Mantlo era... bad dream. Did not exist. Was an Elseworlds or Alterniverse thing. Mind you, what has happened to AF since vol 2 seems to equal Mantlo's era in just plain badness.

But... did Puck say he was in that Centre for Maldajusted Super Beings? This would be odd because (a) Puck did not have super powers at that point in time (and any super powers he did gain since has since been retconned out of existence).

This much I know about Puck (until I can find that Puck's Place website on the net archives):

1. Was paroled out of prison to join AF.
    2. Spent some time years back living at Hull House (where he met the young Jared and Adrian Corbo)
    3. Was a mercenary - ran with an outfit of super-powered mercenaries, called The Outcasts (IIRC)
    4. Knew Ernest Hemingway
    5. Was long in love with Heather (never requited AFAIK)

I'm sure that any or all of the above would turn any normal, sane person to the demon drink.

Default I found the 'Puck's Place' site.

Google is king. As the site was hosted at Geocities/Yahoo, it never died. It had just been launched into space in search of an alien civilisation. In the meantime, it's past self materialised on earth.

Anyway, the URL Is: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare.../3357/puck.htm

Most of the Puck info can be found in the "Puck's History' section, but my fav'rit is the slightly ridiculous Banter with Judd section, thanks mainly to just as ridiculous questions from notaries such as Del.

Hiya Seng, how ya doing fella?

Regarding Puck, I can't quite remember who mentioned the maladjusted heroes place, but it countered the Bochs/Maddy meeting origin so I am leaning towards Maddy mentioning it, but I have an image of it also being mentioned by Puck. Where's DMK when you need him?

As regards your five points, all correct as far as I'm concerned, anything else are the ramblings of deranged writers. God knows AF have had a few, you only got to look at vol 3
    Del

One thing still confuses me: IIRC, didn't Lobdell do his own retcon for vol. 3 by doing a 'Dallas', making the entire series a dream, thus all a figment of his own head? (I don't have the last few issues of series 3) If that's the case, then no one's in space, and there isn't two groups of AF running amok...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I have them for you Allan, sheer bloody laziness has kept them from you. My bad. As regards what Lobdell did, **** knows, I'm not sure he really knows, but I got the impression that things would be allowed to stand. Heather and whoever off in space, Team circa #28 in this time. Hopefully it'll be all sorted if Flashback buys it very soon, or whoever writes the Puck story retcons the granny out of what Lobdell did.

I'm probably totally wrong in this and there was a massive retcon, can't bring myself to read vol 3 again, to find out.
    Del

No, nothing was "all a dream".