Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Puck Appearance

Default Upcoming Puck Appearance

Over on CBR they have a intrerview with the writers of X-Men Unlimited #12 where it's revealed the second story is about Logan talking to Puck who's become a drunk. Read more here

"Alpha Flight, in the comic book and in real life, haven't been given a lot of tender loving care," Long said.
    Understatement of the CENTURY.

Puck a drunk? don't know how I fell about that. Well I will pick it up to see how he handles it.

I shouldn't have laughed, but dang...seedy bar, moody atmosphere...and then a sloshed midget in spandex. Yup. Hell. One-way ticket.

Suzene

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Um, please read the segment about Puck in the CBR!

This is a quote: " 'I think the biggest compliment a writer can give a character is to fu*k them up."

Considering that Judd is a former government agent, a former bouncer, a former adventurer, and a former Alpha Flighter, it should take a lot of bad things happening to him to turn him into an alcoholic. Didn't somebody do this with Tony Stark?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Um, please read the segment about Puck in the CBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    This is a quote: " 'I think the biggest compliment a writer can give a character is to fu*k them up."
    So, does that mean Marvel has had alot of very proud writers over the past decade or so?!?!?

I'm willing to give this a look, but what I would have liked to see in any Alpha story is somthing akin to what Larsen did in Wolvie #142/143. Clear up all the crap that has dogged Alpha recently (Lobdells series 3, Austens take etc. Get a firm team on a firm base and then have the characters going down dark paths etc. Not much point imho of having Puck the piss head if he's suppose to be in space, a person from the past or whatever.

I mean is this the real Puck, the one from the past, the one from space. Clear it all up and begin again. Larsen gave them a base and apart from Tieri everyone else who wrote them in later storie fu**ed them up, continuity and character wise.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Marvel offering omens of things to come?

I always thought that the greatest compliment a writer could give a character is to come up with a plausible story with a beginning, middle, and end where something interesting/important happens.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

...once upon a time.

I agree, Garry...I think this "f#@k the characters up" idea/approach started in the nineties and continues today(unfortunately). I like to see characters put through challenges and occasionally through the wringer, but I have no wish to see them messed up so badly that other writers would have a hard time writing them OR don't want to write them, because the character has been ruined.

By ruined, I mean "f#@ked up" so much by another writer(or various writers)that nobody will touch them with a ten foot pole. Not many writers want to clean up somebody else's messes.

I believe characters should be left pretty much as they were found...ready for the next writer to work with.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Puck's lived a long life, and nothing invalidates that Puck would have this problem. The quote of messing with characters is a little extreme, but is basically sound.
    Let's see how the story plays out.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Puck's lived a long life, and nothing invalidates that Puck would have this problem. The quote of messing with characters is a little extreme, but is basically sound.

...And then dump on it like all getout.

...once upon a time.

In Weapon X : DOFP #4, not only do we get to see Puck, but Diamond Lil makes an appearence as part of Chambers Weapon X refugees group called Excelsior.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    The only thing that invalidates Puck having this problem is the fact that non of his history shows him to be a weak willed fool who would climb into a bottle to cope with lifes problems. He's been described as a noble soul who has handled more than any one person should. I really hope that the explanation for this is believable, but shan't be holding my breath.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I just think there's a difference between a man being drunk, and an alcoholic... I'm interested to see if he's portrayed as the latter.