Quote Originally Posted by suzene
Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
Some good examples of Byrne writing them without the super-reflexes(which he had always said they didn't have)...issue #3, page 10: Northstar getting clocked by the wall projection...if he had the heightened reflexes he would have easilly avoided being whacked...And Northstar being unable to stop Nemesis(who isn't a speedster) in issue #8 from chopping Deadly Ernest into bits. I'm sure there's more....but I think they're more interesting without the super-reflexes...call me crazy.
Wouldn't dream of it. Characters who actually have to be careful with their powers for more than the cliched innocent bystander/property damage factor tend to be more interesting. I'd rather write about someone like Pyro than the Human Torch because Pyro, while he's a pyrokenetic, isn't immune to fire. You have to wonder what his mindset must be as he straps enough flammable liquid to his back to take out a neighborhood block, knowing that if someone takes a swing at him, he could be blown sky-high. At the same time, being near all of that dangerous stuff is the only way he can get in on something like the Brotherhood. I find that kind of thing fascinating.

Suzene
Yes indeed. Heroes and villains who aren't all powerful/infallible....that's the stuff that made comics great.
Although, the biggest reasons I don't like the Ultimates is they have too many faults....these people aren't heroes....they're awful people that I never want to meet and really don't want to read about.

Dana