Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpha Flight Covers you might not have seen

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    ...Lee did his first work for Marvel on AF and the quality of those issues has never been repeated.
    Lee's AF run was before he refined his style. His artwork is quite different than what it is now, and people should know what to expect (or lower their expectations) accordingly, if they haven't seen those earlier issues.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Hitch and Neary both took a crack at Alpha, long before they joined forces on 'The Authority'. Mark Gruenwald and Greg Larocque, both had goes as well. Some big names there. I guess if we read through every appearence, we would see some well known names scattered throughout.
    What'd Gruenwald do? I either missed that or REALLY don't remember it.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

We should post the marvel cards of Alpha Flight since they are always original designs

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Hitch and Neary both took a crack at Alpha, long before they joined forces on 'The Authority'. Mark Gruenwald and Greg Larocque, both had goes as well. Some big names there. I guess if we read through every appearence, we would see some well known names scattered throughout.
    What'd Gruenwald do? I either missed that or REALLY don't remember it.
    The two Gruenwald depictions I have are from Hulk 278-79 ? Hulks amnesty, he may have done more, but they are the ones I'm aware of.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Lee's AF run was before he refined his style. His artwork is quite different than what it is now, and people should know what to expect (or lower their expectations) accordingly, if they haven't seen those earlier issues.
    True but when you look back through Vol 1 Lee's work is the best the series saw, even better than Byrne's if you ask me.

Ah, yes, Gruenwald as artist...I forget he occassionally penciled, and never actually noticed his work on Hulk.
    I always thought he had something against Alpha...he never used them in his writing...the absence of the twins in the speed race in Quasar was quite conspicuous. Good eye, Del.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default What was this thread originally talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    True but when you look back through Vol 1 Lee's work is the best the series saw, even better than Byrne's if you ask me.
    If we all liked the same things, it would be a pretty dull world.

I don't have all of them, but I did notice a progression to Lee's style in the AF books I do have. He's not my favorite AF artist, as you can tell.

Inking was a bigger problem after #28, IMO, with Talaoc and Portico poor choices who rarely enhanced the artwork.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I'd agree withthat, the inking after the new team took over at #29 really detracted from the story and probably made some more critical of what on the whole were readable tales. I know the inking gave me a bad impression of Mignola and I found it difficult to understand how he was lauded later on.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!