Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Border Relations....A Thought From a Canadian'

Default 'Border Relations....A Thought From a Canadian'

A friend of mine was surfing through the forums here, and she ran across some of the political discussions. She asked me to pass this on:

I've read through several of these Canada/USA discussions, including bits about military power, terrorists, missile programs and the like. I have to admit, as a Canadian, I'm a little disgusted by some of the commentary coming out of my own countrymen. I think we can get so caught up in all the things our politicians are doing wrong that we're forgetting the US is in fact our greatest relationship. We're like siblings that occasionally get on each other's nerves, but we do need each other.

While I have several friends in the US, and a great respect for their country, I am also extremely proud of being Canadian and of the stand we have seemed to take on military actions. We are the "peacekeepers" and we're damn good at that job. I like being part of a country that offers aide to those who ask for it, who goes in, helps them rebuild their own governments and get their own countries going again. I like that our boys aren't afraid to walk into hostile territory and say "what can we do?" And as I have an ex-husband who is in the military, I can honestly say that I couldn't have been prouder as a wife, then to be able to tell people what my husband did for a living.

As to the issue of Canada being "annexed" it would never happen, for several reasons. I seriously doubt either government would every truly discuss the issue, and if any country - I'm not saying the US - if ANY country tried to take Canada they would be in for a mean fight, and they'd lose. Do any of you know how many times Canada has been fought over? Record loses to Canada - a big fat ZERO! We're nasty little buggers when we get our backs up. We're tough, and when we need to be, we're mean about protecting what's ours. (Must be having to live through all this bloody winter weather.)

I also think amongst all this other garbage that's been happening worldwide, Canada and the US have lost sight of our truly big picture. During 911 Canada was commended on the relief aide we sent to our neighbour, which was wonderful of the general public as it was a lot of work for our people, but I also recall comments on how the response to this disaster was "typically Canadian." As you obviously know by now, I love Canada, but this particular viewpoint is a load of --- well you know. It wasn't "typically Canadian", it was "typically humanitarian". If we, above the northern border, think for one second that the US would not have done exactly the same for us then we are as egotistical and arrogant as the world sometimes accuses the US people of being.

We have lost sight of what each country brings to the other and we need to remember that while we will willing give the US support in times of crisis, they will forever do the same for us. I think we need to keep our eyes on that ball above all other things. I for one am thankful that they are there. May we never need the level of support that we gave to them during the 911 attacks, and may they never need it from us a second time, but I am glad to know that we are each there to provide it should disaster strike once more.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Default Re: 'Border Relations....A Thought From a Canadian'

Well said.
    I have read a few posts lately that have been..well..just embarassing. Of course I won't name the person here as they aren't relevent. But I have thought of involving the moderators. Anyway on to my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic's Friend
    " I for one am thankful that they are there. May we never need the level of support that we gave to them during the 911 attacks, and may they never need it from us a second time, but I am glad to know that we are each there to provide it should disaster strike once more."
    It appears disaster has once again struck. Forget your politics and borders and do what you can for your fellow man.

Read Barnacle13's post here.
    http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=962

I have a student in Louisiana now, likely she's helping out, that the kind of kids I try to produce even by teaching. We've already sent a few loads of things (Canada has, I mean) so you know we'll keep doing our best. Good that Barnacle13 and friends are OK.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Let me just go on record as saying I'm damn proud to be a part of this forum and more importantly your southern neighbor. Canada I agree is forever the peacekeeping brother of my sometimes bullying nation. I can't defend all of my nation's policies, but I doubt anyone could fully support every decision their government's make on their behalf.

I'm humbled to have such great friends here, whom I've never met or passed more than an e-mail or forum post with. I was floored when I saw a post wondering about my welfare! A bright spot in an otherwise despair filled week! Jo! Sylvie! Del! Thanks for the posts! Everyone else, thanks in advance for whatever aid you can give the displaced masses from the US Gulf Coast. If you are in a city that is housing refugees, dig deep into your closets, pantries, wallets, and hearts! We need prayers as much as we need food and water! It'll be years before this region is even on its feet again! Perhaps in a week or month folks will return to these areas and survey the damage and salvage what little they have left of their worldly possessions, but it will be months before roads are passable, sanitation is adequate, and infastructure and homes can be rebuilt. Many will never return, either because they can't afford to rebuild or because they are too traumatized to return. My city will be exploding in population over the months that follow this cataclysm. Hopefully we can support that growth. At any rate, life as I know it changed forever on Monday morning.

I'll attempt to post periodically, but over the next several months I plan to do exactly what I've asked you all to do above. I'll be volunteering time, money, supplies, and prayers for my new neighbors and those who are displaced throughout the region!

Regards,

Tom

Glad to know you're okay Barnacle13. Hope to hear from you again soon. Take care and keep yourself safe.

Good luck, Tom. I have another student in Houston and they'll be taking in as many students as they can to help. Not sure where she lives exactly. Apparently my former student who was in La. moved to Texas too, about a week before the hurricane hit. She didn't plan on it much, it was just a change of schools to get away from a bad coach.

Take care.

Live it.

Let me tell you how much America "appreciates" us. 9/11 happens. Thousands die. Thousands more are injured. Everybody helps. Canada helps the most. Bush deliberately avoids mentioning us on his list of countries that helped America in this crisis. When somebody mentions Canada, and asks why he didn't thank the Great White North, do you know what he does? He condescends us. He says "Would you thank your brother?", which is a slightly more polite way of saying "Would you thank your property?". 'Nuff said. We have nothing to thank America for. What's that you say? We should thank them for protecting us? From what? What tried to invade us? Oh yeah, nothing. There's nobody to come after us. America has been a bigger blight on this once-fine nation than any mere "terrorists" ever will.
    "You will bow down before the almighty Bunghole!"-Cornholio

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss
    Let me tell you how much America "appreciates" us. 9/11 happens. Thousands die. Thousands more are injured. Everybody helps. Canada helps the most. Bush deliberately avoids mentioning us on his list of countries that helped America in this crisis. When somebody mentions Canada, and asks why he didn't thank the Great White North, do you know what he does? He condescends us. He says "Would you thank your brother?", which is a slightly more polite way of saying "Would you thank your property?". 'Nuff said. We have nothing to thank America for. What's that you say? We should thank them for protecting us? From what? What tried to invade us? Oh yeah, nothing. There's nobody to come after us. America has been a bigger blight on this once-fine nation than any mere "terrorists" ever will.
    I find the timing of your rant slightly off putting. No matter what you think of the country, it has just suffered the biggest natural disaster in it's history. Even us colonial types have seen the tv and have seen the suffering going on. Compassion is obviously a word missing from your dictionary.

I think even the most stupid people have ascertained your thoughts on America, given your number of posts on the issue. So at a time like this, with many Americans on the board, your message is at best ill timed and at worse a deliberate attempt to offend people.

I try not to stereotype people from a certain country, somthing you do with impunity, but given how you play fast and free with you opinions, I thought you'd appreciate the following, based on my stereotyping of you.

'And on the third day, god created the Remington Rifle, so we could kill the dinosaurs and the homosexuals'
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Right, I've made a decision.
    Ben, feel free to reverse it.

Good call.

I don't even know how to repond to that today! Thanks moderators for taking care of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Right, I've made a decision.
    Ben, feel free to reverse it.
    Back it up all the way! This individual upon closer inspection was a user who had been banned in the past. Good call Phil.

Ben

Well you know everyone gets hurt sooner or later. 9/11. New Orleans flood. SARS and Toronto gets blamed. Bombs in London. Bombs in Iraq and Israel and Palestine and Indonesia and Russia. Floods in the UK and Germany and... Heat wave in eastern Canada and France and Spain and Portugal. Earthquakes, mudslides, blizzards, tornadoes, murderers, you can't go anywhere and be truly safe from disaster. But that's not the point.

There's schools. Hospitals. Libraries. The internet. The Leafs (and Habs, Flames, Canucks, Senators, Oilers, old Jets and Nordiques...). The CFL. Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Mendelssohn; the Beatles, April Wine, Prism, Chilliwack, Guess Who, Shania Twain, Alison Krause, Anne Murray, K-os, the Arcade Fire, 54-40; cribbage, mindtrap, jokes, puzzles. The Red Cross and Red Crescent. Oxfam. The UN and UNICEF. Child Find. Banting and Best and more.

More good than evil. We're Alpha Flight fans for different reasons, yet that brings us here, together. It doesn't define us. I'm white, Canadian, thin, male, smart, slow-witted, an abstainer from the drink. None of that makes me any more or less. None of you are probably much like me. Who cares? we're here because we're AF fans, and happy to have fun with it.

After all, I bash having the Hudsons in AF and who really cares? Because it's just not that important.

We give nothing to AF but thought. To relief agencies and volunteer groups we give time and money.

Good luck to you all. Weather the bad, and enjoy the good, because everyone makes the good outweigh the bad.

Live it.

that was beautiful man.
    from one skinny, white Canadian to another you posted one hell of a commentary

Kevin
    and remember, If the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

I don't think words can describe how outraged I was at Big Boss' words. It hurt me in ways I can't even begin to describe. As someone who wasn't involved in the hurricane, I had friends and loved ones there...some of them I haven't even heard from yet. As an American, I can see how much these other countries are doing for us, and I would like to thank them and anyone else who is helping out in any way they can. You can't imagine how astounded I was when I heard Fidel Castro offered aid to us.
    Fidel Castro!!!

If the thanks of those you help and the thanks of the families that you have supported aren't enough, then I'm afraid you're helping for the wrong reason. And pointing the finger at Americans and calling us callous and unfeeling while you sit there and insult us as thousands upon thousands of lives are affected...

Well, Big Boss, if you can still read this, you make me sick. You're a despicable human being and I pray never to see or hear from you again.

A very angry Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??