Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spoilers.....Alpha Related....Spoilers!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Lordy, this sounds depressing!!!!! I know that grim and gritty is the new 'IN' thing in comic storytelling at the moment but can that be done without EVERYONE dying??? It just seems pretty unnecessary and quite dreary. What's the point in caring about anyone in comics anymore if the next time we see them they're going to get killed off for no real reason. I know that this is not meant to be a real future but still, whatever happened to happy endings????
    It's not as if Weapon X was a cheery, upbeat book before. It was, pretty much, where B-list and below characters were sent to die.

Suzene

Quote Originally Posted by suzene

It's not as if Weapon X was a cheery, upbeat book before. It was, pretty much, where B-list and below characters were sent to die.

Suzene
    I have to ask Marvel..."Why do they have to die...can't you find a writer that can...well...actually write them?" Another problem....All of Alpha Flight falls into that B-list catagory...that bothers me.

Then again....this series takes place in a possible, but not set in stone future....Any writer can come along and change the outcome of things.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I have to ask Marvel..."Why do they have to die...can't you find a writer that can...well...actually write them?" Another problem....All of Alpha Flight falls into that B-list catagory...that bothers me.
    Well, because if no writer is currently interested in a character, obviously that character's only use is to boost sales through his death.

Then again....this series takes place in a possible, but not set in stone future....Any writer can come along and change the outcome of things.
    Just like most of the present established continiuty. It's honestly not worth the effort of caring about these days. The stories aren't allowed any integrity.

Suzene

To be fair, Alpha Flight has a significantly larger fan base than people like Maggott, Tar Baby, and Siena Blaze. They were all more like C and D listers.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Weapon X mini-series (mainly)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Not to play mister pessimist, but we don't actually see Lil making it out alive... and this part of the tale is set before #2, so Wildchild still bites the dust.

I think I read that the cover is Wolverine's new X-team to replace the killed team in #2.
    I got WXoFP(?)/N(?)#3 yesterday. SPOILER:
    Aurora's in it, briefly. Wolverine's new X-Men are in it, briefly. Diamond Lil just has that cameo that has already been posted in this forum, and that's it. CONCLUSION: Wolverine is presented as very ineffective against very persistent adversaries; there is blatant exploitation of this character with very little substance or contribution with his inclusion. Logan can't beat the blow-up guy in # 1. With what looks like no plan whatsoever, Logan walks straight into Colcord's trap and gets french-fried along with the rest of the X-Men without so much as taking a chunk out of a Sentinel (#2). And please, # 3 is starting to make me laugh. [I'm not mad, though, like I was after reading # 2; a farce is a farce of course, of course]

How come Northstar didn't come back to Wolverine's crack about being a B-lister (in Wolverine's book) by saying at least he (Jean-Paul) beat Sabertooth? Has Logan ever beat Sabertooth?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Weapon X mini-series (mainly)

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    How come Northstar didn't come back to Wolverine's crack about being a B-lister (in Wolverine's book) by saying at least he (Jean-Paul) beat Sabertooth? Has Logan ever beat Sabertooth?
    Yeah he has, and recently to boot.

But when did Northstar beat Sabertooth?

Wasn't it during the never to be forgotten 'Alpha Armour' crap in Uncanny X-Men?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by King_Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Yeah he has, and recently to boot.

But when did Northstar beat Sabertooth?
    During the last couple of issues of Chuck Austen's terrible run on X-Men. I don't have the specific issue numbers at my side. It was a mess, though...Northstar knocked Sabretooth unconscious by slamming his head through many trees at high speeds. But it made little sense that Sabretooth should be taken down by something like that, when he'd had one of Gambit's charged cards *explode* in his mouth a minute or so before and wasn't even substantially shaken.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when Northstar gets to be a badass instead of the just a crabby 'Will and Grace' extra, but there's this taint of incompetance that comes with everything associated with the Austen run.

Suzene

Don't know who the bald guy is though. Man their new unifroms suck.
    Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Don't know who the bald guy is though. Man their new unifroms suck.
    Angel.
    Yeah I realized it when I looked at the wings, I just skimmed through the issue since I wasn't impressed.

I skimmed through it too and I have to say....Frank, I'm very disappointed. There doesn't seem to be much of a story, besides killing as many mutants as can be killed...in the shortest amount of pages possible.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I think the main confrontation is supposed to be between Wolverine and the Director. Everyone else is just a pawn on the board and just as disposable. Not a bad idea, but it requires that one give a damn about Wolvergod and Scarface going at it, and I just don't. I read Weapon X when it was an ongoing, and my interest was always on the team, their power-plays, backstabbing, and, of course, Aurora. When most of the team was disposed of in various ways and Wolverine started showing up regularly in yet another book, my interest crashed and I stopped reading.

Suzene

The constant time hopping has pretty much ruined it for me so far, but each issue's got slightly better. Hopefully it'll make a bit of sense by #5.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Colcord: a very effective mutant-killer

I'm in this one basically to see who isn't going to make it next.

So, if the big confrontation is between Wolverine and the Director, and the Director survived the first run-in (#2) after getting sliced up, how is Logan going to take this guy down? There seem to be more SENTINEL plants around (now with MASTERMOLD), Sauron's on the loose, plus Phantomex and the blow-up guy from #1 are still around.

The series reeks of editorial tinkering because it doesn't make much sense: it has a lot of licensed characters in it, running around making Colcord look like an evil genius. Colcord getting toasted by his own command would have been appropriate, IMO, comparisons to Larry Trask notwithstanding (it wouldn't be the first time MARVEL recycled a story/storyline), even though a two-issue mini-series is probably not what anybody at MARVEL would have wanted or envisioned.

It looks like Colcord is being made to be one of MARVEL's biggest and baddest bad-guys ever.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.