Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Doug Thompson?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default What happened to Doug Thompson?

Doug Thompson changed dramatically from Byrne's interpretation to Mantlo's interpretation: caring and level-headed to ranting, raving shotgun-carrying lunatic.

Richard Easton mated with Nelvanna, and went nuts, though the headband might have had something to do with that, too. IMO, something similar happened to Thompson when he mated with Snowbird.

Does this sound plausible? Does anybody have a different theory as to Thompson's change?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Yah, Bill Mantlo

Ben

There's also the possibility that Doug Thompson mating with Narya drove Mantlo crazy. That would explain the whole Razer fiasco among other things!

I know this question is coming from left field here, but if Snowbird is alive again, then is Doug and their son still in the Eskimo Gods relam or what?

Quote Originally Posted by oneyoungman
    I know this question is coming from left field here, but if Snowbird is alive again, then is Doug and their son still in the Eskimo Gods relam or what?

It's a good thing Allan's computer is in repair, because I'm sure he would mention that the name Eskimo is offensive to the said people and the good name is Inuit.

Sorry for that message for those who knows.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Yeah, I feel the same way when someone calls me "white" or "european".

I really hate it when people refer to rudeness as being "Frank" or speak of the illegal destruction of property as being "Vandal-ism".

Stinkin world.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be insensitive.

I think Byrne referred to Snowbird's dieties as the "eskimo gods", but then Byrne has never been known for his tact, and that was in a different (ie less sensitive) time so that's no excuse on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by oneyoungman
    Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be insensitive.

I think Byrne referred to Snowbird's dieties as the "eskimo gods", but then Byrne has never been known for his tact, and that was in a different (ie less sensitive) time so that's no excuse on my part.

Yes, I think byrne used Eskimo because he did not knew and at the times everyone where calling them Eskimos. I wonder when it came to change or as it always been kind of pejorative to Inuit ? from what I understand The inuit always called themselves inuits but Europeens called them Eskimos. I think it's maybe like the autochtone form finland where they call themselves Sami but is known by everyone by Lapon (or is it a particularity of the french language?).

Can any one confirm that? Anyway, my goal was not to scold you, it was only to inform you and everyone that did not knew. What can I say? Knowledge is power
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I think Doug Thompson's change of personality can be attributed to Bill Mantlo's writing. Mantlo probably made Doug Thompson a possessive, shotgun-waving lunatic to highlight the dramatic conflict between him and Alpha Flight. I don't think that mating with Narya made him crazy, although it is a very interesting theory.

Richard Easton possibly went insane due to the fact that his mind couldn't comprehend that he had really been away nine years, instead of the one night he had assumed. Then, also, who knows what else he saw in the gods' realm, besides mating with Nelvanna? The contrast might have helped to break his mind.

I believe Doug Thompson and their son are still with Snowbird's family. However, I can also recall Nelvanna saying that all three souls would dwell with them "until your final fates will be revealed". Now that Snowbird is back, could this mean that Doug and Baby Thompson could be far behind? I wouldn't mind seeing them back myself, especially Snowbird's son. What a chance to develop a potentially powerful character with important ties to Alpha Flight!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I never thought Richard Eastman was that strong a personality in the first place.

- Le Messor
    "Do you know that doing your best is not good enough? First you must know what to do." - manufacturing-quality theorist W. Edwards Deming

The gods were aware of this, also. Remember how when they first met Easton, they said they would "grant the wildest fantasy of a small mind"?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default More than just his "seed" was taken

The headband had a dual purpose: to help The Old Gods and The Great Beasts. I think it says a lot of good things about The Old Gods' commitment to protecting the Earthly Realm that they got to Easton first. I agree that Easton may not have been the best possible choice if The Old Gods had a chance to choose, but I doubt that many mortals would have been able to take the overpowering compelling of both good and evil (and the subsequent life-essence extracted from Easton) without having serious consequences.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

...once upon a time.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I thought they just didn't bother. They got what they wanted, then left.

Not that I'm saying anything nasty about them...

- Le Messor
    "Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment, and they say, I wish you’d come to me sooner."

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I'm trying to get a better understanding of this, too.

If Easton had raised Tundra first, The Old Gods would've been screwed because Tundra took all of Easton's life-force, consumed him totally!

Ranaq possessed Zebediah Chase, completely.

It seems that the possession pattern of The Great Beasts is to comsume their victim/host completely.

...once upon a time.

Default Re: I'm trying to get a better understanding of this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    If Easton had raised Tundra first, The Old Gods would've been screwed because Tundra took all of Easton's life-force, consumed him totally!

Ranaq possessed Zebediah Chase, completely.

It seems that the possession pattern of The Great Beasts is to comsume their victim/host completely.
    I guess we could assume the same thing happened with Walter/Tanaraq, even tho it took a LOT longer to do than the other two...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine